Treadmill, Elliptical Trainer or Exercise Bike?

Options
The question says it all (almost). I need some good cardio exercise because of my high cholesterol levels. I am mostly running outside but winter is bad here for running so I was thinking of buying some equipment at home for cardio exercise. I know treadmills are very expensive so mainly among the latter two which is better?
Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The one that is better is the one you will use more often/prefer. Try each out, see which you feel gives you the better workout. You may also just absolutely hate one over the other.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Still better to run in the rain and snow, go to the mountains and take of snowshoeing.
    You can also look into finding an indoor track. My town of less than 30,000 has one.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have all three but I prefer the treadmill.

It's really up to you, everyone is different!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    None of the above!

If you really want to you can run outside all year 'round, winters here are pretty cold (gets down to -40C or colder at times)) and the only thing that's guaranteed to keep me inside is freezing rain.It's just a matter of dressing properly (layer & wicking materials).

If you're thinking of an exercise bike consider getting a real bike and indoor trainer (or if you already have a bike just the indoor trainer) that way you can bike outside in summer (I'm not hard core enough to bike outside all year long)

If you really want to buy a cardio machine consider a rowing machine. Great full body workout & cardio. I would suggest trying one first just to make sure you don't hate it and, if possible, get a couple of coached sessions to make sure your form is good. (The cadillac of rowing machines - Concept2 - runs around $900, about half the price of a good treadmill and will last you for years and years and is great cross training for running)
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    It's no fun trying to run on packed ice in the winter which is what I'm faced with sometimes but as the above poster said, the indoor equipment best for you is the the one you will use. Why not try your local gym and see which you enjoy using the most before purchasing your own. Personally I can't stand either so I put a tape on and dance if it's too dangerous to run outside. Walking in deep snow is great exercise!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian! The best overall workout on a machine is a rower! And you have the added bonus of no impact which gives your joints a rest :)
  • pavloskollias
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the winter gearing and if that's not good enough I might look for a rower. I think my school has free gym membership so I'll think I can try stuff there. Thanks again!
  • LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is running on the treadmill (if I can't get outside), but the elliptical kicks my butt way harder. According to my HRM I always burn off way more calories on the elliptical. I have read other people say that they find running is harder for them than the eliptical....so it seems to be a personal thing. Definitely go to a gym and try out each for a few times before plunking down your cash. I personally do not like the rowing machine.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    b4 u rule out the treadmill, did u look on craigslist to see if u can get one cheap?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    get on your bike and ride
    or be a fat bottomed boy,,
    ha
  • Michaeljferreira17
    Options
    It doesn't matter. All cardio is good if you keep the intensity up. I prefer intervals personally. I can't stand when people say that machines don't provide good results. Not everyone can go running on a track. People have joint pain, lower back pain etc. I suffer from lower back pain and use a stationary recumbent bike. Keeping the intensity high my heart rate stays high enough to provide great results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan of the elliptical..it doesn't translate to anything. I can't train on an eliptical and say, "this will make me better at X." A treadmill will help make me a better runner. A stationary bike will assist in making me a better cyclist...a row machine mimics the act of rowing...so I can get a little kayaking work in (though I suppose it's not the exact same motion)...but I've never been able to determine what the eliptical would do other than burn calories.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    See if you can get a free week's pass to a gym. Then, try each cardio machine out to get an idea of the best purchase. I can't use the elliptical because it hurts my knees. I have a treadmill and an indoor bike at home. I still run outside when the weather permits. Since I live where it gets blistering hot, I enjoy having indoor gym equipment at home.