Healthy meals for office

Options
ruba4
ruba4 Posts: 9 Member
hi,

Im working more than 8 hours a day since i worked i gained more than 33 lb I really love fast food but now im trying to eat healthy and lose weight, so I need good meals for office for lunch I want a meal like salad or sandwich not just a snack like nutrition bars or nuts. :) Thanks all

Replies

• JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Does your office have a frig, microwave that you can use ?
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts...so I have to have a plan. Here are some things that work for me:

I eat a lot of kashi frozen meals

I bring big salads in tupperware containers

Turkey sandwich with cheese and mustard on whole grain bread. I also like PB&J or tuna salad sandwiches.

I have single servings of frozen veggie lasagna and turkey chili in my freezer. I can take them out the night before, thaw them in the fridge overnight, and then have them ready to reheat at lunch the next day.

I have a lunch size mini crockpot that I heat soup in

I do a lot of grazing. I know you said you prefer more substantial things. But eating smaller things every few hours can really help you stay full and keep your blood sugar steady. Some of the snacks I love are apples, clementines, greek yogurt cups, quest bars, 100 calorie packets of almonds, 100 calorie packets of dry roasted edamame, string cheese, freeze dried fruit, raw veggies with greek yogurt based dip...etc, etc

Hope some of these ideas are a help!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Granted I've got a cupboard, 1/4 of a fridge and a full kitchen at mine but I have: steamable frozen veggies, fresh fruit, canned chicken and fish, canned vegetables, precooked frozen meats, dark chocolate, peanut butter, protein powder, and milk at my office.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi, Amy's, Marie Callender, and Boston Market frozen meals for lunch. Or you can cook your own food the night before and microwave it there.
  • ruba4
    Options
    Yes we have microwave and frig.

Currently I prepare the nigh before salad, or light sandwich.

My problem that I got bored quickly so I have a good opportunity to back to order fast food and sandwiches so I want more diversification in food.

Another point that almost all my coworkers order food so its not common to take cooked meals to office.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options

Another point that almost all my coworkers order food so its not common to take cooked meals to office.

Stay "against the grain", log your food and support your friends on MFP while you eat alone, read the paper, plan your next meals :)
    Save the calories and save the money too!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I usually cook bigger batches when I'm making stews, soups, curries, dhal, chilis, etc + sides (mostly rice), and even pasta, and freeze them in plastic tubs. The great thing is that it doesn't require any extra work to prepare lunch for the next day if you're already cooking anyway, otherwise I'd probably just forget preparing lunch all the time :)

It only takes a few minutes to microwave them (even if you only take them out in the morning), you know exactly what's in it (unlike canteen food or takeaway for lunch...), and it works out a lot cheaper than buying lunch. And if you have a "proper meal" for lunch, you can have something light for dinner (e.g. a salad or a soup) and don't need to cook. Win-win! (And if you usually cook in the evening, e.g. with family, then just pack a smaller portion for lunch).

I alternate frozen leftovers with sandwiches throughout the week, so it doesn't get boring.

Also, regarding your coworkers, I've noticed (and heard from other people) that once someone starts bringing in leftovers, coworkers tend to start doing that as well (because it just makes sense, and it's cheaper...)

You can even turn it into a really fancy lunch if you pack it into a nice lunch box with some "dessert" (e.g. a yogurt or some fruit) to go with it.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If the ordering food is such a temptation - allow it when you can. Brainstorm some acceptable choices from places you tend to order from and order those when you truly want that food. You might find yourself wanting it less and less over time, but if it will cause you to fall because you want it so much then I think it better to incorporate it than fall.

Otherwise - I like upside down salads - take deep bowl - and put in all your salad bits (I often include some leftover stuff from last night) upside down. That means the dressing is on the bottom, then cheese and proteins, then sturdier veggies like tomatoes, carrots etc, and then the lettuce/greens part. Leave a little head room - shake it up just before eating. Keeps the dressing from wilting the greens.

I also cook and freeze leftovers - they either get frozen and labelled for another day OR worked into an upside down salad. Depends on the leftover. Or it's just packed and taken as is the next day.

Precooking and precutting a load of ingredients also helps. I usually have many small bowls in the fridge bottom (I call it the salad bar). Each thing has it's own bowl. I just pull it all out and assemble things. Cooking some boneless skinless chicken, hamburger patties or meatloaf etc - just cooked plain - gives you a lot of options for the week. Salad proteins or sandwich fillers or ingredients for supper when you come home tired.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Otherwise - I like upside down salads - take deep bowl - and put in all your salad bits (I often include some leftover stuff from last night) upside down. That means the dressing is on the bottom, then cheese and proteins, then sturdier veggies like tomatoes, carrots etc, and then the lettuce/greens part. Leave a little head room - shake it up just before eating. Keeps the dressing from wilting the greens.

OMG. I don't like taking in salad because I have to keep the dressing in a separate tub which is kind of annoying (more washing up!) but... this is genius. Thank you!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's hard to not eat out when you work at an office! At my office, most of the staff goes out every day while only a handful of us stay behind to hang out in the break room. If you feel like you're missing out on that social aspect, maybe only go out once a week and research healthy options from the places that everyone likes to go to.

I've gotten in the habit of making sure that I have leftovers from dinner every night. On nights where my dinner won't make great leftovers, I make a tuna sandwich and prepare some sort of side dish.

One thing I like to do when colder weather hits is make a big batch of soup or chili on sunday so that I have enough leftover to either freeze or float me through the rest of the week.
  • ruba4
    Options
    Great Ideas ..... thanks all :)
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally, there is no reason for fast food when you can make better and more cost efficient food for yourself at home. I make batches of grilled chicken over the weekend, along with plain quinoa. I buy boiled eggs already peeled to save on time in large bags, canned beans (rinsed well before using) and lots of produce. I make a large salad every single night and add whatever I have in the fridge to it that give me the most protein to keep me full.

I bring in snacks as well like baby carrots, jerky (unless you're watching sodium), fruit and a few other little things to curb cravings if they happen. I have a large soft cooler that I bought at Target for $20 plus an ice pack and I take it to work every single day. At first I felt odd since I had this enormous bag and everyone had a frozen meal in a box but after a while, I realized that I am eating better than most around me and I couldn't be happier about it.

Its worth a little time and effort to prep ahead and do better for your body and avoid the fast food junk.