Protein Powder Question For The MFP Experts

For those educated with protein powders. Is the "Whey" protein powder more for gaining weight, than the other types of protein powders? Which type/brand would you recommend for someone to lose weight? I've been purchasing the "Body Fortress" Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. But should i be having that if im trying to lose 20-30 lbs? What do you think?

Replies

• Whey is just a component of milk that serves as a source of protein. Soy, hemp, pea, egg, and even beef (as well as many other things) can also do this. Whey has the particular advantage of having a very complete amino acid profile and high bioavailability, but this is a really advanced consideration.

The source of the protein doesn't have much bearing on how good it is for gaining or losing weight. Gaining weight is largely all about surplus calories--40g of pure protein from whey will yield 160 kCal, as will 40g of pure protein from soy.

The only protein powders you specifically want to *avoid* when trying to lose weight are the so-called "mass gainers," which are typically protein powders mixed with large amounts of carbohydrate fillers (e.g. maltodextrin, polydextrose) to add lots of extra calories--these products are intended for very lean people who, for whatever reason, have a very hard time gaining weight.

The Body Fortress powder you mention appears to have 30g protein and 150 calories per scoop, which is very standard for a "normal" protein powder. You should have no worries about incorporating this as a protein source into your diet.

As always, just keep an eye on how the various components of your diet (including your protein powder and anything you mix with it) contribute to your overall calorie intake. This will guide how fast you lose (or gain!) weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    For those educated with protein powders. Is the "Whey" protein powder more for gaining weight, than the other types of protein powders? Which type/brand would you recommend for someone to lose weight? I've been purchasing the "Body Fortress" Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. But should i be having that if im trying to lose 20-30 lbs? What do you think?

Protein powders are used to supplement your diet if you cannot get adequate protein through whole foods or for convenience sake. Caloric surplus leads to a gain and a deficit to a loss
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Wow! Excellent answers. They have hemp protein powder too? pea and beef? Thats pretty different. ok. Thanks for letting me know all this info. I did go to a website that explained the different protein types. Guess it whichever one you can tolerate. So good thing im not taking the soy powders. I really like the brand i have with the whey protein. And it does make sense. To lose or to gain weight.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member

Protein powders are used to supplement your diet if you cannot get adequate protein through whole foods or for convenience sake. Caloric surplus leads to a gain and a deficit to a loss
    That's what I needed to be reassured of, for some reason. Im not sure why. Maybe Dr Oz. Yeah. Blame this dumb question on Dr.Oz. He got me confuuuused. Darn that guy.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Whey is not for 'bulking' lol, it's simply to fulfill the macros that you either struggle reaching or if you just want a fast high protein intake after a workout.

The weight gainer supplements are that. Weight gainers. Also referred to as Mass builders.

Anyway, use a protein powder if you wish to substitute it with protein you'd get from else-where during your day.