Too skinny

Options
HB decided yesterday that I am too small/skinny. My bones stick out and it hurts to sit on something hard. Everything pinches my bones (back of chair, seat of chair, floor.) I would like to gain muscle, and know that I need to eat over maintenance and lift. Weight room should be available next week or week after. I have been doing boot camp, RI 30 and 30 DS with 8lb weights, pull-ups, pushups, squats and lunges over the summer. I feel strong, but I want to look strong, too. Any advice? I tried to maintain over the summer, and still lost 5 or 6 lbs. I need to maintain or gain back a couple! (5'3" 115)

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You're right re. eating at TDEE and lifting.

However, to gain back a few lbs it would be more efficient to eat slightly over TDEE, e.g. by 200 cals per day. It sounds as though you'll be new to the weight room so you should try and maximise on newby muscle gains. Eating just over TDEE will help this.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my advice would be do a heavy lifting programme like Starting Strength or stronglifts 5x5, and eat more than your TDEE
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary.

If you're having trouble eating enough to gain, then get rid of the low fat/"light and fit"/no sugar added foods, and replace them with the full fat, full sugar varieties.

Use whole milk, regular full fat yogurt, ribeye steak, eat the entire avocado (not just a third of it), peanut butter, almonds, fatty fish like salmon, and throw in some Haagen Dazs for good measure.

ETA: Oh, and yes, lift. Try Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or The New Rules of Lifting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If your bones are sore from sitting on a chair, it sounds like you barely even have any body fat, much less muscle. You NEED some body fat. Are you still having periods?

Even at my tiniest (which was pretty tiny), it wasn't painful to sit. You're describing a common complaint of people who suffer from anorexia.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I went though a few days of your diary. I am going to agree with whats said above. You need to just toss out your play book and start over. Eat like a boss. Get some fatty things. I say ice cream, that can stay. Milk, butter, if you eat meat. get some fatty stuff. Avocado. Just stay away from all the crystal light, low fat, stuff. Cookies were good too.

8lbs weights are way to light. Strong lifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women was stated. Or get a personal trainer and tell them specifically you want to learn the main compound lifts, with a barbell.

You really do sound like an anorexic. I see you are eating 1800+ calories a day, so congrats on that!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I sound like an anorexic who eats over 1800 calories a day, lol! Based on pictures, I guesstimate my bf to be between 15 and 17%. I have the sugar and fat free stuff because I like to eat a lot. I know that it is a mental game. Weight room opens soon, and I will start more heavy lifting. I was doing good in the spring with my lifting and running and losing weight. Now I have lost all the weight and need to build back up. I am going to weight train and do cardio, so adding some full-fat ingredients will be key to keeping up with my exercise. My mind just has to get over it already. I know that I am strong for my size, even though I may look slightly anorexic. I can do push-ups and pull-ups, swim, run, do boot camp. I love it! Next spring I am looking forward to triathlon training. I have already mentioned to the coach my husband's fear that I will not eat enough to maintain that kind of training. Coach says that nutrition is part of the training, so I will be ok. I work out twice a day, usually. I just need to eat enough to fuel my workouts. Even my supervisors are mentioning my weight. I tell them to expect to see me with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon:) If anyone wants to friend me and support my efforts, please do so! I hate getting the "good jobs" when it posts that I am under goal, by like 400 calories.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'll point out that anorexia is not about how many calories you ingest.

Your height and weight are normal, but if you're THAT bony that your bones are actually being pinched by chairs, that is a red flag. My post was out of concern, not to be mean.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

Your height and weight are normal, but if you're THAT bony that your bones are actually being pinched by chairs, that is a red flag. My post was out of concern, not to be mean.

I didn't think you were being mean. I was just making light of the situation. I think its a bit funny, just because usually anorexics restrict their food so severely. I consider myself more of an exercise bulimic. Sorry if that offends anyone, its just the best way to describe what I do. And the height/weight issue is weird, too. On paper, it is normal, but to look at me, I look too thin. Everyone notices it now. I do appreciate your concern, as well as that of my co-workers. I am trying:)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I sound like an anorexic who eats over 1800 calories a day, lol! Based on pictures, I guesstimate my bf to be between 15 and 17%. I have the sugar and fat free stuff because I like to eat a lot. I know that it is a mental game. Weight room opens soon, and I will start more heavy lifting. I was doing good in the spring with my lifting and running and losing weight. Now I have lost all the weight and need to build back up. I am going to weight train and do cardio, so adding some full-fat ingredients will be key to keeping up with my exercise. My mind just has to get over it already. I know that I am strong for my size, even though I may look slightly anorexic. I can do push-ups and pull-ups, swim, run, do boot camp. I love it! Next spring I am looking forward to triathlon training. I have already mentioned to the coach my husband's fear that I will not eat enough to maintain that kind of training. Coach says that nutrition is part of the training, so I will be ok. I work out twice a day, usually. I just need to eat enough to fuel my workouts. Even my supervisors are mentioning my weight. I tell them to expect to see me with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon:) If anyone wants to friend me and support my efforts, please do so! I hate getting the "good jobs" when it posts that I am under goal, by like 400 calories.

I wonder about that body fat percentage being correct at that height and weight. If you need to "gain muscle" i would be surprised at 98lb lean body mass at 115.

I am also 5'3, 115 pounds, 18-19% body fat (per calipers). If that body fat % is correct i would have less lean body mass than you. I lift heavy, and have no bones sticking out at all whatsoever and definitely don't look "too skinny". PM me and i can give you an example.

Either way... heavy lifting, definitely eating enough food including like was mentioned foods higher in fat (especially if you have a problem reaching that calorie goal). Make sure you hit that protein goal!
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't think you were being mean. I was just making light of the situation. I think its a bit funny, just because usually anorexics restrict their food so severely. I consider myself more of an exercise bulimic. Sorry if that offends anyone, its just the best way to describe what I do. And the height/weight issue is weird, too. On paper, it is normal, but to look at me, I look too thin. Everyone notices it now. I do appreciate your concern, as well as that of my co-workers. I am trying:)

Exercise bulimic makes sense, too. Just be careful.

115 at 5'3" is normal, but toward the low end. If you have a larger frame, it will look leaner than if you have a small frame.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Chairs are harder to sit on since I lost weight and I have 24-26% body fat.

I think it's easy to notice the difference when you remove the comfy cushion of lots of excess weight, without it necessarily meaning you have loads of bones sticking out at all angles.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If your bones are sore from sitting on a chair, it sounds like you barely even have any body fat, much less muscle. You NEED some body fat. Are you still having periods?

Even at my tiniest (which was pretty tiny), it wasn't painful to sit. You're describing a common complaint of people who suffer from anorexia.

This varies. My sons and my father have trouble sitting because they have boney butts. And even I, who have plenty of fat on my body, am having trouble with a bony pelvis and hard chairs. I've weighed 20 pounds less than this when I was this tall in high school - no problem. Now, yes. Bodies vary.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I had a friend who had a serious problem with an exercise addiction. (I don't say that lightly.) It's always something to think about.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    How do you tell the difference between exercise addiction and athletic training? Is it just the goal, or end result? I've been told that I get a little ocd about exercise, but if I am training for a triathlon (very likely come spring), I would be exercising just as much, if not more. So, what's the difference?

As far as lbm is concerned, I'm thinking mine is pretty high for my size already. I did gymnastics growing up and then went on to dance. For the last 2 years I have been doing a bit of weight training, along with (more recently) Jillian's 30DS and RI 30, some boot camp and kettle bell inspired workouts, starting with the light 3lb and moving up to 8lbs. I do pull-ups un-assisted and can do up to 17or so a day and 80 push-ups (in sets). While in gymnastics, we didn't train with weights, it was all body weight exercises, and we were very strong, muscular and lean.

HB says that I feel like a "bag of bones" and he doesn't want me to have a skeletor head. My friends have told me I'm becoming gaunt in the face and chest. I want to look pretty, not gaunt.

Anyway, he took me to Whataburger tonight and encoruaged me to get my old favorite, the patty melt. I did, and it put me over for the day, but I'm ok with that.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have zero fat on my butt. Chairs hurt - even padded chairs. I hate sitting.

I wish I could take my belly fat (considerable) and transplant it onto my butt. Magically. and for Free.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I have zero fat on my butt. Chairs hurt - even padded chairs. I hate sitting.

I wish I could take my belly fat (considerable) and transplant it onto my butt. Magically. and for Free.
    Hmm..well, I don't have any place on my body to shift it from...good idea, though. I always tell HB I should take the fat out of his pones and inject it into my boobs:)
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Chairs are harder to sit on since I lost weight and I have 24-26% body fat.

I think it's easy to notice the difference when you remove the comfy cushion of lots of excess weight, without it necessarily meaning you have loads of bones sticking out at all angles.

^ This. I have to shift around a little now in hard chairs, and like the person above, I still have over 20% BF. I think it's just that I'm not used to having less junk in the trunk. On the plus side, it discourages me from sitting around too much :tongue: