Insulin Resistant Anyone??

Options
Just wondering if there is anyone out there in my Insulin Resistant world? Looking for advise and support.:flowerforyou:

Ooops, Also forgot to mention I have PCOS also!!! Thx GracefullyJen!

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am. send me a friend request if you'd like. :)
  • sassypants68
    sassypants68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there in my Insulin Resistant world? Looking for advise and support.:flowerforyou:
  • Allie_Dreams
    Options
    I am also. But from what I was told that is the same as Type 2 Diabetes
  • sassypants68
    Options
    Okay, I'll admit that I'm a little tired, so I might be missing your meaning. When you say "insulin resistant" do you mean diabetic? I'm diabetic, and inject insulin twice daily. You?
  • Allie_Dreams
    Options
    Okay, I'll admit that I'm a little tired, so I might be missing your meaning. When you say "insulin resistant" do you mean diabetic? I'm diabetic, and inject insulin twice daily. You?

IR is different that Diabetes that require insulin. IR is normally maintained by diet, exercise, and Metformin.

What Is Insulin Resistance?

Normally, food is absorbed into the bloodstream in the form of sugars such as glucose and other basic substances. The increase in sugar in the bloodstream signals the pancreas (an organ located behind the stomach) to increase the secretion of a hormone called insulin. This hormone attaches to cells, removing sugar from the bloodstream so that it can be used for energy.

In insulin resistance, the body's cells have a diminished ability to respond to the action of the insulin hormone. To compensate for the insulin resistance, the pancreas secretes more insulin.

People with this syndrome have insulin resistance and high levels of insulin in the blood as a marker of the disease rather than a cause.

Over time people with insulin resistance can develop high sugars or diabetes as the high insulin levels can no longer compensate for elevated sugars.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I am as well. I don't have much advice. I upped my protein a bit from MFP default levels just because I have heard that a higher protein diet helps a bit in weight loss.

Insulin resistance is part of pre-diabetes. It is not diabetes yet, but if you don't make lifestyle changes it can turn into diabetes. Trying really hard here for that *not* to happen. Though I've seen others here that are reversing not only prediabetes but diabetes... so hoping that will happen for me too! :)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Now, I wasn't told that. I was told that I am not a Diabetic...Yet. If I keep going the way I was I would be a Diabetic by my 40th birthday (3yr from now). I was just there Monday. I am on Metformin ( he just increased my mg's per day). Anyhoo! happy to be changing it up! Hi!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    It will keep your head up & focused!! You can do it!! So can I!!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    Just want to say sorry - I am very new to this site and how reply.....I've been hitting the button but now I think I get it. I must do get quote button and reply.
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    I am Insulin Resistant with PCOS. Friend me if you would like
  • daisieschase
    daisieschase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also Insulin Resistant, but I suffer from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I try to follow a diabetic meal plan as much as possible: never eating a carb without a protein. I make sure my carbs (again, as much as possible) are whole grains and I limit fruit. Other than that, the best advice I can give you is exercise every day. Even 10 minutes a day will help your body process excess insulin and sugar. It really helps.

You can also try a product called Vemma. I know of several different people who have reversed Insulin Resistance with this product as well as lower thier blood pressure, bad cholesterol, etc. It's a natural supplement.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Hang in their girl!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    Thanks - I'll look for Vemma & check with my Dr to make sure it doesnt interfere with anything other meds I am on!!

Great advise ~ Thanks!
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am Hypothyroid, so loosing weight is a challenge. Friend me if you like. :smile:
  • sassypants68
    Options
    Interesting... I'm Diabetic and have PCOS too. I never knew until trying to have my second child through infertility treatments. I was successful through IVF (he's almost 7), but I had enough eggs to support an Easter Egg Hunt. :smile: Other than that, I don't notice it. You can friend me too if you would like...
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Just went to the doctor yesterday morning and he suspects I may be insulin resistant + suspects I may have an ovarian cyst. He ordered me to get a pelvic ultrasound and I'm meanwhile awaiting the blood work results. Crossing my fingers!