Going over calories daily - Advice?

Options
Hi!

I'm 35, 121 lbs, 5'2". I started tracking on here EVERY SINGLE THING going into my mouth and find that I'm going over my recommended 1200 calories.

I gain weight like it's a marathon ... I was 113.8 back in like, March, and every couple of weeks a 1/2 lb or a lb sneaks on and never leaves. It builds slowly but steadily, and never reverses. Last year I had a personal trainer through July and went from 135 lbs to 122 lbs, and then I was on my own, losing another 8 lbs, but since then I have not changed my diet or my habits and continue to gain!

I now walk/jog/run about 4-6 times a week, between 2 and 4 miles. For the life of me, I can't add in weights or other cardio. I try to force myself, but I end up just crying because I hate it so much. Yep, real mature. I've started to think about doing split runs, getting in two miles in the morning before work and then running another two at night; right now, I run around sunset time.

When I first joined here, someone said something about I'm not eating enough - but if I up my calories (as I have unintentionally done now), I just see more weight gain and no loss.

I am hungry ALL this time - ALL THE TIME. I just got done with my lunch at work (4 oz baked chicken strips and broccoli), and could eat another lunch right now happily and not blink an eye. I will be hungry the rest of the day, to the point of almost being in tears. (this is why I've been going over in calories; I am so, so hungry and I can only deny myself for so long before I hit the fridge again) I am tired ALL the time - I often lay down in bed several times during the day during the weekend just to rest, and have taken 2 naps in one day more than once! I was off soda completely, but have found that the caffeine is the only thing that gets me to a decent wakefulness and have started drinking a diet coke in the morning again.

Any advice, besides "see a doctor"? Unfortunately a doctor can't help me; I can't have blood work done so there's no way of knowing if there's a thyroid issue or other medical issue or anything. I'm very unhappy and very uncomfortable at this weight.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low. I don't know what kind of diet you used last time, but you might have damaged your metabolism by not eating enough. It is normal to gain some water weight when you stop losing weight though, are you sure it's not the weight gain you see when you up your calories?

Go to that site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ , enter your info, select lightly active and 15%. Eat what it tells you to eat. Yes you might gain a little but it's the only way you'll be able to lose weight in the long run without starving yourself. Heck you should even eat your maintenance calories for 2 months to totally reset your metabolism... You'll gain a bit but you'll be able to lose on a healthier 1400 calories after.

Also make sure to eat whole foods and a lot of protein.
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your body is in need of more foods. Sounds like it is time to up the calories. Have you tried eating 5 small meals a day.

Lack of food your body needs is causing you to be hungry and tried all the time. Look at it this way lets say your body is your car. Can you run your car without gas? No so your body is running on empty so add some gas to it.
  • runfree78
    runfree78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low. I don't know what kind of diet you used last time, but you might have damaged your metabolism by not eating enough. It is normal to gain some water weight when you stop losing weight though, are you sure it's not the weight gain you see when you up your calories?

Go to that site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ , enter your info, select lightly active and 15%. Eat what it tells you to eat. Yes you might gain a little but it's the only way you'll be able to lose weight in the long run without starving yourself. Heck you should even eat your maintenance calories for 2 months to totally reset your metabolism... You'll gain a bit but you'll be able to lose on a healthier 1400 calories after.

Also make sure to eat whole foods and a lot of protein.

For my initial weight loss, I ate 5 meals a day, ran 4 days a week, and worked out with a PT 2x a week. After that, I just stuck to the 1200-1400 calories and ran and ran and ran. I do that now - but I just keep gaining. I have been eating the same and gaining since before the spring (and I do mean "eating the same", as I have pretty much the same meals every single day), so I'd think I'd be "reset" by now, right? I should have started seeing weight loss again by now ... but I haven't. And at my size, every single pound I gain makes a huge difference in how I look and feel. I am already crying almost every morning putting on my clothes because I feel HUGE and nothing fits and I have no money for even MORE clothes (since I had to buy new stuff when I lost the weight), so the idea gaining even another pound makes me feel really, really horrible.

That calculator tells me that my BMR is 1300. So I'm pretty much eating that now, and hungry all the time. For the record I eat 80-110 g of protein every day - should I be eating more??
    Read this.

I tried, but it is VERY garbled and VERY hard to read. Is there a better version that you know of?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Here's the condensed version of In Place of a Road Map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sound likes you added body muscles and you can not lose that. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here's the condensed version of In Place of a Road Map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
    yup. this.
    Sound likes you added body muscles and you can not lose that. Muscle weighs more than fat.
    but not this. not ever this. ever.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

No, a pound is a pound and you don't gain muscle eating at a deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Of course you can lose lean muscle mass. And it's pretty difficult to build any significant muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    yup. this.
    but not this. not ever this. ever.

✔ to reading the road map.

✖ to adding muscle on a deficit - ever. Ever!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Read and follow this...it'll change everything for you!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Based on your weight height and age your TDEE is 1700 calories assuming you work out 4 times a week. Here is the think, a 500 cal cut puts you at 1200 calories. If you're only doing cardio you are pretty much losing some lean muscle and fat. Here is the thing, muscle burns more calories since if requires more energy just to maintain.

How about you add maybe 3 weigh training days plus your cardio and eat at 1300 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You cry doing weights?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Set your goal for a slower loss. I could not stick to 1600 calories a day ever, but I have next to no trouble sticking to 1800 calories. Being hungry all the time is your body's way of saying it needs more nutrition. Your lunch sounded fine, but what other stuff do you eat? I find I do best if I get 5 servings of fruit/vegetables a day, a little bit of starchy carbs at each meal, and lots of lean protein.

Did you say you're weighing all non-liquid food on a kitchen scale when you're logging it?
  • marthahorn
    Options
    The only real way to find out what's going on is to see a doctor. You could be in pre-menopause. When I was, i only had to smell food to gain weight. No matter what I did, there was no leveling out. Try a public health clinic if you can't afford the blood work.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You don't have to starve to lose weight. Follow the road map.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

A 1" square cube of muscle weighs more than a 1" square cube of fat because it's more dense. When people say "muscle weighs more than fat," they're comparing volume, not weight.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get bloodwork done?
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

And don't worry if you gain in the first couple of weeks of upping your calories. It will be water weight, and will come off as your body gets used to increased calories.

It works for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

A 1" square cube of muscle weighs more than a 1" square cube of fat because it's more dense. When people say "muscle weighs more than fat," they're comparing volume, not weight.

Yes, but she isn't gaining muscle eating 1200 calories.