Correct amount of calories

Options
I'm 5'9" 200 and myfitness pal calculated I can only eat 1370 calories for a loss of 2lbs/week. That seems awfully low, I tried the Lose It! app on the iPhone and it calculated that I need 1738 calories for the same weight loss. I'm not sure which one to follow. Lose It! shows how they calculate their numbers here: http://loseit.com/faq.jsp#calculations
I put sedentary for myfitness pal, I walk a good 45 minutes a day put I'm not sure that qualifies as more than sedentary.

So does anyone know why there is a 400 calorie discrepancy b/w the two websites and which one is a more realistic estimate?

Replies

• PoiBoyBlue
    Options
    The 400 difference comes from what your body actually needs during the day, however MFP drops that, as you have the excess stored in your body. There's roughly a 300 calorie difference for myself, as well. I'd prefer to go with the lower one, and am averaging 2 lbs lost with about 1300 calories a day, and working off whatever I eat above that.
  • Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can't explain the discrepancy and I'm not sure how MFP calculates recommended calories, but I used to meet regularly with a nutritionist who told me that I should be eating roughly the same amount of calories (1300) that MFP has suggested for me to loose 1.5/lbs per week. On days that I get to the gym I end up eating back some (definitely not all) of the calories that I burn. 8 years ago when I saw a nutritionist regularly, I maintained weight at 1300 calories and only lost if I added exercise to my routine. Everyone's body/metabolism is different so you need to figure out what the right calorie range/exercise balance is for you. Good luck!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I cannot explain it but hey I would eat like 1500-1600 ca and see how that works for you....I am not hard core about getting exactly x calories....I usually try eat in a range....not less then 1200 but more then half of the calories after exercise that MFP says....I have lost 40 ibls doing this....I was 185 to start and now i am 145......Eat good and lots of exercise.....I never was the athletic type but I really enjoy exercise now.