Anyone ever heard of...

Options
This is not an advertisement. It's an actual question. Someone at my job today told me about this guy he'd heard of called Jonny Bowden. The guy apparently released a bunch of books that go over how to lose weight with foods without needing to work yourself to death in the gym. I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of him and if they'd ever tried to lose weight his way? Did it work? Did you not lose anything? Or is it just another scam?

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Never heard of him, but plenty of people lose weight with little or no exercise. Just about any decent diet will work if you stick to it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out at all to lose weight.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Jonny-Bowden/e/B001ITRM1M

Amazon sells his books. It's surprising how easy Google is.... just sayin'.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the guy, but I lost 90% of my weight just eating healthier and walking.
    In fact, I think I tones better just walking and using the Elliptical than I do going to Zumba.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out at all to lose weight.

This!

Eat at a deficit to lose weight. Work out to get fit.
  • jrloveless
    jrloveless Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I googled him, and I watched a video on his site. I was just asking to see if anyone had tried it and if there was any success... I actually rely on Google very heavily. It's not a crime to ask questions.... just sayin'.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/

He also owns Rockwell Nutrition which sells supplements. No surprises there.

To lose weight: calories out more than calories in. That's what I did. And I don't workout at a gym but I walk. I try to walk between 4 & 5 miles a day. That's up from 0 - .5 miles per day.

Bottom line--eat less move more.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I googled him, and I watched a video on his site. I was just asking to see if anyone had tried it and if there was any success... I actually rely on Google very heavily. It's not a crime to ask questions.... just sayin'.
    Don't let the snide response deter you. I was thinking the same thing when I read it. Of course it is easy to find the books, but it would be better to find an actual person here trying the method. I doubt there is anything magic about them, but if the diet is healthy, the books are reasonably priced and you think it would improve your chances of success to use the method then by all means try it. I see a lot of people get caught up in the decision phase, shopping for the easiest diet when they could be on any of them and losing. Have you started cutting back your consumption while you are deciding?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    OP, you've been here longer than anyone that has responded. Have you, and I'm not trying to be snarky/mean/snide/rude/negative/hateful or anything else that people might call me...

..but have you tried the program itself? MFP? Just logging food?

There's no need to buy books to read about how someone else did some extreme workout routine. There's nothing WRONG with it, but you're already on the best tool that you could use... a book, if it makes you start logging food, is fine.. but there's no inherent need to do anything other than tracking food in order to lose weight. The only real purchase that you'd have to make would be a food scale and food. Go from there.
  • jrloveless
    Options
    I've already changed the way I am eating. Originally last week I was doing one thing but it wasn't working for several reasons. I did not cheat or go off of it so to speak, but it just wasn't for me.

This week I started something a little different. Proteins, green veggies only, no condiments, no fruit, and eating whenever hungry but not consuming thousands of calories like I used to.

I tried the MFP logging of food and it just didn't work for me. Constantly remembering to log in is hard for me because of my time and a lot of other things going on. I do well for a while and then things happen. Plus, I didn't find myself losing weight while following the plan.

I was just asking to see if this was a viable option for me if at all. I wanted to see if anyone had actually tried it and had any success.
  • jrloveless
    Options
    I find that when I eat carbs, even what's allowed on MFP, I don't lose weight as easily if at all.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I tried the MFP logging of food and it just didn't work for me. Constantly remembering to log in is hard for me because of my time and a lot of other things going on. I do well for a while and then things happen. Plus, I didn't find myself losing weight while following the plan.

Then something is wrong. If you aren't logging, that's on you. If you aren't logging accurately, again, that's on you. It really is a simple equation, but if you don't take the time or put in the effort to log, you can't blame the process. No hard feelings, but you have to put the effort in to do it.

try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

it's worked for me and a lot of other people. again, you have to log your food.. and do so accurately.

a miracle book isn't going to come without some form of "eat this much food".. right? So you'll have to count your food there too.

ETA: and you've counted your food for a week? It takes a lot longer than a single week for change to really show itself. Are you expecting an instant response/reaction?
  • jrloveless
    Options
    No but normal people lose at least a pound. I didn't lose anything. And this wasn't really about analyzing what I'm doing. This was me asking about a plan that exists and whether or not someone here has tried it and if that attempt was successful for them or not. This has gotten WAY off the topic of what I was asking. No offense, but that isn't what I was asking anyone for.

Nevermind. Thanks for the answers I got that were about what I was asking. :)
  • trogalicious
    Options
    No but normal people lose at least a pound. I didn't lose anything. And this wasn't really about analyzing what I'm doing. This was me asking about a plan that exists and whether or not someone here has tried it and if that attempt was successful for them or not. This has gotten WAY off the topic of what I was asking. No offense, but that isn't what I was asking anyone for.

Nevermind. Thanks for the answers I got that were about what I was asking. :)

It boils down to "I'm doing it wrong, but not willing to try." You aren't weighing your food, logging accurately, or regularly. That's what it takes. Until you know how much you're regularly eating, then you won't know how much to reduce in order to see an expected loss. It takes, sometimes, up to 5 or 6 weeks to see that change.. not a week.

...and that's fine too. Good luck with whatever you choose, just tried to offer something that is guaranteed to work.. and free. I'd be more than glad to help should you decide to try the whole "logging food" and "counting calories" method. Maybe the book will help.
  • _TimeForMe
    _TimeForMe Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't let the snide response deter you. I was thinking the same thing when I read it. Of course it is easy to find the books, but it would be better to find an actual person here trying the method. I doubt there is anything magic about them, but if the diet is healthy, the books are reasonably priced and you think it would improve your chances of success to use the method then by all means try it. I see a lot of people get caught up in the decision phase, shopping for the easiest diet when they could be on any of them and losing. Have you started cutting back your consumption while you are deciding?

^^^^
    This
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've heard of him.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. Eat a healthy diet - no special diet plan - and you'll lose weight. No exercise needed.

But exercise is the icing on the cake. It is what makes us look good once we lose the excess weight. That is why most diets suggest exercising.