Having trouble getting back on track

Options
I have gone down to 215 at one point then went back to the 220's and even 230's. I have a hard time keeping motivation to get in shape. It's almost seems pointless at times because part of me is trying to do this so I can break the whole single for life thing that I got going for me. But I know consciously that is an extremely stupid reason not to mention being in shape doesn't make you less boring and a geek(which I am determine to still be regardless). Thus the chance of being single my entire life is still very possible.

Problem is friends and family reenforce the stupid idea constantly instead of the ability to think better/clearer, function physically better, deepen meditation, and even the negative(according to some) being an unstoppable martial art killing machine(I wish).

So any ideas to keep motivated or even repel the depressing thoughts that make life not even worth living?
And yes I have gone to counseling they either didn't help or started to make things worse.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from. For me, it's the whole I-have-3-teens-noone-is-ever-going-to-want-to-be-with-me thing. We need to just focus on what WE want. Not what others THINK we need.

It would be great if you gave counseling a second chance. You don't always "click" with the first person, so it may take another one or two. I'm glad I found the therapist that I have. I'm also taking an anti-depressant and it's really helped.

You're welcome to add me to your friend list, if you'd like. I'm on here daily, giving and getting support. It's made a world of difference, too. My friends on here are kind and helpful.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Lifting really helps me, I look forward to it. All last week my gym was closed, so I took a rest week. Today I get to hit the gym, and I can't wait. Maybe you just need to find what it is about being healthy that you really desire, something that you look forward to.

A good friend of mine had a heart attack at 23 and died, seven years later I'm glad it wasn't me, and I'm working to make sure it won't be me anytime soon, but my real motivation is that I love to lift, I love to swim, I have started to love running, and I absolutely love feeling in control of my life. That's what keeps me going.

Rigger
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have gone down to 215 at one point then went back to the 220's and even 230's. I have a hard time keeping motivation to get in shape. It's almost seems pointless at times because part of me is trying to do this so I can break the whole single for life thing that I got going for me. But I know consciously that is an extremely stupid reason not to mention being in shape doesn't make you less boring and a geek(which I am determine to still be regardless). Thus the chance of being single my entire life is still very possible.

Problem is friends and family reenforce the stupid idea constantly instead of the ability to think better/clearer, function physically better, deepen meditation, and even the negative(according to some) being an unstoppable martial art killing machine(I wish).

So any ideas to keep motivated or even repel the depressing thoughts that make life not even worth living?
    And yes I have gone to counseling they either didn't help or started to make things worse.

Dear Joe,
    Do not give up on yourself! I know with my own weight loss I started feeling more confident and in a much better mood.
    It does take time and I would be lying if I told you otherwise but there are others on this message board that at least at sometime have felt like you. I have found that when I feel like quitting or giving up or just needing advice that I can depend on my MFP's to help out and be there for support.
    I am sorry that you are not getting this from your family or friends and sometimes it takes a stranger to understand and others like you that are going through the same journey or dilemma or have the same issues.
    Life is too short to quit and to give up and you can do this!
    And there is nothing wrong with wanting to do this because you are tired of being single, we all have our own reasons but we are all on the same journey even if our goals are different.
    You can definitely add me as a friend and I will help keep you motivated:smile:
    Take care - rose