Double "Onederland" Where Next?

Options
A few weeks ago I reached the stage where I had lost 100lbs. needless to say I was absolutely delighted and posted my story here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1059026-100-lbs-lost-pic-heavy-not-wearing-a-bra?hl=100+lbs+lost&page=3#posts-16270095

This morning at my weekly weigh in I reached the wonderful "Onederland. I weighed in at 199.1lbs. I was so "chuffed" I went out and did a 20 mile walk. Tonight I started to think, and that's maybe not such a good idea.

When I started out, nearly a year ago, at 306lbs, I wanted to do this but I still had doubts that I really could achieve my dreams. As I said in my last post the success stories I read on the forum persuaded me that I too could do it but I wasn't sure just how far I could go. So when I filled out my profile I selected and arbitrary weight as my goal weight. I could not remember the last time I weighed 14st stone (196lbs) so I though that would be a good enough target. I am now just 3lbs off this target and I am scared. Where do I go next.

I am 6ft 2inches tall and am now getting to be quite active, even at my age. My BMI this morning is 25.8 so I am almost "normal". My Body fat is 23.7% which I believe is not too bad. Parts of my body are quite scrawny, while other parts have plenty of loose skin and I still have fat on my belly (of course). I run, walk and swim, but in this part of rural France there isn't a gym of any sort within 50 miles. (and anyway at my age there is no way I am going to be "Liftin Heavy")

I think my options are to lose the last 3 lbs. and go onto maintenance or revise my goal weight downward and keep going as I am.
I think it's the maintenance thing which worries me, what if I cant do it and I regain the weight?
What do you think?

Replies

• erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    congratulations on losing 100 pounds!!! I am on my way to losing 125. Lost 34 so far - going up and down and up and down. Hopefully this time it will not go up. You should slowly increase your calories and continue exercising and counting calories until you reach an amount that maintains your weight and you should be fine.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you manage to do almost daily, I don't see any problem with you maintaining. If, however, you slack off (been there and done it years ago) the weight will start creeping back. You have a huge commitment to this and I am sure you will do well.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration and I have no doubt you will manage maintenance just fine! :smile:
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishments! So, thinking too much can sometimes get us into trouble. I play tennis - overthinking usually results in a missed shot :) Just take one day at a time and be proud of how far you have come!!
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Revise your weight goal and keep on going. You could give yourself a bit of time to enjoy having reached your goal before revising, but you sound like you're quite able to continue with getting the rest of the unneeded fat off the belly.

Lifting heavy isn't at all necessary at any age. People do it because they want their body to look very muscular.
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congrats, we'll done.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Once you are within the normal range- I would go on maintenance. Give yourself sometime to try it out. If you feel you want to do more - then consider it after a period of maintaining.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats! Second, there is plenty of lifting you can do in your own home without putting out a lot if money. Start with lifts that use your own body weight and resistance. Let google or the search function in MFP Be your friend. Good luck!!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought you could lose 100 lbs "at your age"? You should be SO proud!

"at your age" who would have thought you could get under 200?

Did you ever imagine that you could be so active "at your age"?

Yup, you knew it was coming....

Why wouldn't you want to start lifting "at your age"?

Lifting heavy doesn't need a gym and it doesn't mean tons of weight either. It means what is heavy for you.

If I were you I would go to about 194 and then maintain for a little while just under 200 since you will go up a little when you start to maintain. Hang there for awhile to see what it's like. Then reassess your goals. I would think trying to maintain as much muscle as you can would be important "at your age" :wink:

Congratulations on a job well done!
  • hoopsterdad
    hoopsterdad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic and inspiring. I've been stuck at 202 for a week or so, and hitting the "ones" I will see as a milestone; it's been a while. I was starting to get concerned that I'd never get there, but your post has reenergized me. It must have felt pretty great to see 199 show up on the scale.
    Well done and thanks for posting.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    that's amazing - well done you!! i know you don't want to lift but this guy might change your mind :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2BX0ghres
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought you could lose 100 lbs "at your age"? You should be SO proud!

"at your age" who would have thought you could get under 200?

Did you ever imagine that you could be so active "at your age"?

Yup, you knew it was coming....

Why wouldn't you want to start lifting "at your age"?

Lifting heavy doesn't need a gym and it doesn't mean tons of weight either. It means what is heavy for you.

If I were you I would go to about 194 and then maintain for a little while just under 200 since you will go up a little when you start to maintain. Hang there for awhile to see what it's like. Then reassess your goals. I would think trying to maintain as much muscle as you can would be important "at your age" :wink:

Congratulations on a job well done!

^ THIS ^
    Yours is one of the best stories I've ever read.
    Since you don't have a gym nearby, just use your own body for resistance. Here are a few exercises to get you started.
    http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
    Just be careful. We don't want someone "at your age" overdoing it and getting hurt. :laugh:
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your support and advice, I now have a plan. I will continue to drop the last few pounds till I reach the "normal" range BMI, but I will aim to slow the loss down to about half a pound per week as I head towards maintenance.
    I will continue with my cardio work, as I enjoy it. Then when I return to the UK for the winter I will use my local gym to "tone up" the flabby bits. Sorted!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!