Fat, Frumpy and Fifty Three....

Options
That's how I feel fat, frumpy and Ninety three not fifty three. I used to be slim and fashionable then I gave up smoking and had to have a full hysterectomy at 30 due to a growth from there on in it was a battle with my weight. I went from never eating chocolate and biscuits to not been able to eat enough. Here I am 23 years later still having hot flushes battling with my weight and feeling like I am a hopeless case. I managed to lose some weight for my sons wedding but I still have 50lBs to go I am tired of people telling me I should try all these different diets any thing from red and green days to counting points to eating low carbs all I want is to eat sensible meals I have taken time to figure out how some foods affect me. Dairy gives me reflux acid along with peppers , tomatoes and potatoes, tuna and shell fish make my knees ache and my stomach to bloat . Then I found my fitness and finally this is just what I need someplace I can log everything I eat and all activity and see where I am going wrong...

Replies

• charpat58
    charpat58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, there. Your post sounded like me...58, fat and frumpy. I have been struggling with my weight for about 20 years. I used to be able to lose weight quickly (Weight Watchers many times!!!) but now I am post menopausal, it is frustrating to say the least!!! I lost some weight over the winter on MFO but got away from tracking since March. I only gained 3-4 pounds since then but i want to start going down again.
    I am new to the discussion board. Anyway, maybe we can journey together.
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

That was me fat, frumpy and 53! Started my journey here seriously in January and have received so much support and motivation on this site. Managed to lose 3 stone years ago with weight watchers but put it all back on and now I've lost it again. Still need to lose some but the knees are now better and walking so much easier.

It isn't easy but logging everything and offsetting those treats with exercise seems to work for us post menopausal ladies. Good luck, please feel free to add me for daily encouragement.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Same here just 52, til next month then yep, FF & 53. I lost big weight 9 year sago but have gained back 65. I so want it off NOW!
  • jema_b98
    jema_b98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hear that familiar song...54, and in the same boat. I've been overweight for 20+ years and I'm tired off not feeling well, and the dr. telling me every single time that it is tied to my weight. So, here I go...again.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just turned 55, and last year right after I turned 54, I went on a diet. I wanted to lose, but didn't really have a goal in mind. Over the year, I lost 19 pounds, and I feel so much better. That is not a lot to some people, but it made a huge difference in the way I look and feel. I exercise, eat the foods I like, log into MFP every day, and try to stay on the same calorie intake. Don't give up! Start over, and even if you only lose a half a pound at a time, it's a start! For me, I feel like I have finally gotten to the place where I make wiser choices, and I don't want to gain any weight back! You can do it!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    Same here! Tired of feeling and looking like crap! Decided it was time to do something about it and so I have started (or re-started) MPF and sticking to it this time. I am very motivated. Hated not having any energy or being to wear anything I liked. Good for you and good luck!!
  • IdaBigelow
    Options
    53 and losing it again - hopefully for the last time this time around. It gets so much harder as I get older. I can't believe I ever was down to goal. That was 5 years ago and here I am again believing I have learned my lesson this time around. The logging is great. I can't imagine ever leaving this site. I am very blessed to have my husband doing it also! Good luck to you!!
  • charpat58
    Options
    That has been my goal over the last year...to get my knees back in shape after a knee injury a couple of years ago. I exercised to rehabilitate it but it just got worse and worse until I was walking with a cane for awhile and off work. I realized that some of the exercise was actually aggravating it so now I am on the recumbent bike and doing weights and have got the strength back. Now I am exercising to improve core strength and tracking my calories so that I can get some weight off. Trying to look at it in 10lb stages rather than looking at the large number. 10 pounds at a time seems achievable...50 seems overwhelming!
  • charpat58
    Options
    53 and losing it again - hopefully for the last time this time around. It gets so much harder as I get older. I can't believe I ever was down to goal. That was 5 years ago and here I am again believing I have learned my lesson this time around. The logging is great. I can't imagine ever leaving this site. I am very blessed to have my husband doing it also! Good luck to you!!

I hear ya!!! I hope that at this point in our lives, we are done with yo yo dieting????
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I WAS there, last year. I hit 49 and knew it was time..finally! Now, I am 50 and I weigh less then I did in high school! I went from a size 18/20(US) to a comfortable size 8. I probably could go a size smaller but, all my extra skin keeps that from happening, but, that's a different story. I have eliminated my blood pressure meds, my heartburn meds, my beta blocker meds and soon, my pre-diabetes meds are going away! I have a great time shopping for clothes in "normal" size areas of the stores and my energy is amazing! What I am trying to say is, hang in there. I really understand where you are. It took me a year. Give yourself at least that. Add me as a friend, if you would like. You can do this. If I can, anyone can!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi! I need to preface this post by saying I'm not into all this social-media-friending stuff (old dog new tricks syndrome) and I sadly don't have time to devote to 'friends' that many need or deserve (bottom line, I can't accept friend requests)--but I do want to pass on some encouragement.

I, at 58 and menopausal, was the fat & frumpy-type of which you speak. Case in point (5'8" 232 pounds (down from 236) May 2012):
    May22012OneMonthInemail_zpsaad7416a.jpg

Here I am August 2013 @ 145 pounds--thanks to good food, exercise, logging both daily on MFP and reading success stories of other MFPers:

IMG_20130809_102547_zpse07dd6a9.jpg

Here's a link to the thread about a 5K Mud Run I did in May (1 year after my frump photo). In that story is a link to my 'MFP Goal Success' story too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992718-58-year-old-goddess-completes-1st-5k-mud-run

Currently I'm in maintenance (going on 5 months) and both my sister (mentioned in the goal success story) and I are in training to walk a 1/2 marathon in November.

You can do this--believe it! MFP logging DOES work!

Although I don't accept 'friend' requests, I'd be happy to answer any and all questions you might have after reading the stories in the links I provided. Good luck to all my fellow Goddesses out there...you have the power to get fit and healthy!
  • kychick50
    kychick50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the right place for me. I will be 53 in October and just joined mfp today, Im looking for friends to just know I'm not alone in this journey. I did ww last year and lost 35 lbs. I started sliding a little at a time and before I knew it I had gained all the weight back. I'm not proud of that but I'm not going to beat myself up about it either. This site had all the advantages of ww except it is free so I'm giving it a try. Any friend requests woul be appreciated.
  • chickauhtree
    Options
    Hi I am new to this fitnesspal website. I want to lose 10-20 pounds. Seems like I have tried different journeys interacting with others and such and it seems that people are really motivated and then after awhile they slack off. I exercise daily and try to eat healthy and drink plenty of water with lemon. May this site will be more motivating to me and meet new people so we can successful cruise through this journey together
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    Hello ladies, I'm not quite 50 (I'm 48), but my body feels like it's 70, so that has to count for something! ;)

I've had the same sort of issues: having a doctor go on and on about my weight (as if I'm too stupid to know this?) and to hate myself for eating-eating-eating.....and sitting around not exercising, internally whining at myself for having no willpower. I don't feel like I have a lot in common with the members here who have a measly 5 or 10lbs to lose (and as a matter of fact, it's almost galling, isn't it, to have people complaining that they have such a whopping amount to lose.....or maybe I'm just jealous!)

Good luck to you all. Maybe if we all combine resources, we can find some tips from each other. :)
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    boatsie, that's awesome! I used to run, too....in my fitter days. I miss running (at least in good weather, hahaha), but not sure I will be able to anymore. However, I'm going to try it eventually when I am a bit more healthy.

I want to be you. :)
  • rheum109
    rheum109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recent studies in Bariatric research are showing that obestity is a disease, and for most of us (including myself) weight lose is not just mind over matter but a real struggle. I too am 53 and was getting tired of being sick and tired, so I looked into weight lose surgery and I can tell you it works. I have lost 50lbs so far (2 1/2 months into program) and still losing weight, it controls your appetite and you can NOT eat large quantities like you used too. I know this is not for everyone, just throwing it out there, as I was and still am overweight but I am getting there sooner than later. Now having said all that you still have to watch what you eat, but this is a tool to help you get there.
  • swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love MFP especially now that I found this blog. I am 57 and today for the first time gave myself permission to say," I'm fat. " That is the reality. I have been telling myself for years that I'm a little overweight and just need to lose 10 or 15 pounds. Well I think it is now more like 40 pounds.
    I did walk for about forty minutes yesterday but today decided to start back ( once again) using MFP. I went to the Y this morning and did 20 minutes on treadmill and took the Silver Sneakers circuit class which I always thought was for old people. There were women in that class probably 20 years my senior who were in better shape than me. There was also a very large mirror which was a bit of a reality check My goal is to change my slogan from fat at fifty to fit at fifty. Today is day one. I'm allowing myself a year to reach my goal.
  • westie007
    westie007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. You sound like my kind of person so hopefully we can as a group get motivated to be confident and fab.
  • daynam76
    daynam76 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, I too am an alliterative fan, am fifty, fat and FIERCELY fighting frumpiness!
    I recently saw some photos of myself and was saddened by the overweight lady in those pictures.
    I have just recently joined MFP and I have using the Volumetrics diet for about a week now and feel very good.
    I think making some MFP friends will help keep me motivated on this journey back to a healthier lifestyle.
    So please add me and lets commiserate and CELEBRATE together. :)
  • tsc1205
    tsc1205 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey - this sounds exactly like me!! I had a hysterectomy and have gone through menopause this past year! When you said frumpy- I can definitely relate! I have also had some health issues that have made things worse! I really want to lose weight and feel better! I have not lived in TN very long, and I don't really have a support system. I really hope I can make some friends on here for encouragement!