What's the best way to start a weight training regimine?

Options
MRL1107
MRL1107 Posts: 74
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've been hearing some really great things about weight lifting and how much better it is than cardio for people who are trying to lose weight. BUT I have no idea where to start. I'm intimidated to even ask at my gym because there are no girls in the free weights area and I have no idea how to use the machines. I don't even know what's best as far as free weights or machines. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Replies

• letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Steroids. Lots of them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading the book the new rules of lifting for women. Best 15$ I ever spent.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to start! New Rules or StrongLifts is a great beginner program. For learning form use YouTube, BodyBuilding.com, & ppl at the gym who know what they're doing :) GOOD LUCK
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules of Lifting for Women and have started the program. I had no idea where to start either, but the book has been a lot of help. It's full of good information, too!

A lot of people on here talk about Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength as being good programs.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Start a proven program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Free weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Starting Strength, but Strong Lifts 5x5 and New Rules are good programs as well. All three of these are geared towards the beginner. Also, machines have their place, but the core of your routine really should be free weights to reap the most benefit.
  • technobunny
    Options
    Lifting some weights.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I read up on StrongLifts 5x5, watched the videos on form, and went to the gym. If I wasn't sure on something, I asked a trainer to demonstrate, or one of the guys who were between sets. Most people in the gym are not conceited jerks... they all started as newbies sometime or other and they all learned from someone... hopefully. :tongue:
  • MRL1107
    MRL1107 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice!!!
  • CycleFlow
    Options
    Get the books/resources you want - many good suggestions already listed above.

Then ask a staff memeber at your gym to help familiarize you with the weights area and some of the machines.

Then... get to it and DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE WEIGHT ROOM.
    You are the best girl in the house if you can walk into a weight room and do your thing no matter who is in there.
This discussion has been closed.