I can't believe I did that! I was doing so well! :'(

Options
Just when I was beign sensible the whole week, I had to have a bloody blip! I ate half a bag of assorted chocolates yesterday at 11pm at night, feeling guilty and terrified of the effects, I made myself sick :(. But this time it tasted more like acid than chocolate : /

How will this affect my weigh in on sunday?

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Dont make yourself throw up!
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I know it's bad, I haven't done it in so long ether, I was just so scared.
  • Ahmed20OD
    Options
    aww this is tough!! you shouldn't do that! haha, well you know you really shouldn't :)
    Ok now this happened what to do? I'm not sure from a health prospective, but from a psychic one I will be drinking more water, and I do mean MORE water. then I will have to "punish" myself with extra workout and exercise.

You know, when someone do such a thing this is creating a habit of what we gave an excuse and say it's a "one" time "treat"...
    well this actually will make the brain send that neuron that told you to eat it this time. now your brain well find it easier to send that neuron again, but the solution is that you fight it from the FIRST time. Now it happened, till yourself in say it out loud to yourself so you hear it that you will NOT do this again..this helps your brain to not do it again...

Being healthy, fit, exercising all starts with mental training before the physical training. If you train your mind, your body will be able to do almost anything :)

and btw dark chocolate is good health resource and antioxidant so you may want it to replace other unhealthy sweets. and better treat your sweet teeth with some fresh fruits!! Don't feel bad but DO smth about it and good luck achieving ur goals!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    dont beat yourself up over it. if you were to get lost while on a car trip would you give up and go home? no, you would try to get back on track as quickly as possible. use it as a learning tool and dont keep it in the house. yhou will do better next time.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    First you have to realize everyone messes up that is part of being human, learn to forgive yourself. Then move forward, one slip-up is not going to ruin everything. Losing weight is a long journey.

For me personaly I can't do sugary foods any more. I am a sugar addict, once I start I can't stop myself.

Third throwing up is worse for you than the excess calories. Your body knows you put sugar in it so it made a lot of insulin to absorbs the sugar. You than took the sugar away so you have an increased insulin level with no sugar.
    If your not now, you will crave high calorie foods to coup with the increased insulin level.

Your water weight will be high on sunday because of the insulin.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days. It happens. There are many, many reasons and there are no real justifications. You are human and this is part of the process.

Just get back in focus and move forward from here.
  • Luckymam
    Options
    dont beat yourself up over it. if you were to get lost while on a car trip would you give up and go home? no, you would try to get back on track as quickly as possible. use it as a learning tool and dont keep it in the house. yhou will do better next time.

A very good analogy.

There is no need to 'punish' yourself for being 'bad'. Eating chocolate is not a crime! You ask what will happen? Well, maybe you will only lose 1.2lb this week when you would've otherwise lost 1.3lb! The horror!

Really, get out of this mindset that dictates you must be 'good' all of the time in order to succeed. It's ridiculous as well as unrealistic. You are setting yourself up to fail. I've lost over 60lbs since Christmas and I can assure you there have been MANY days when I have eaten too many calories, had too much alcohol, eaten chocolates, etc.

This is a lifestyle change. You can't expect to never eat chocolate ever again. It's your 'all or nothing' attitude which will be your downfall.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I walked 6 miles yesterday.......

..... then went to Cici's pizza buffet last nght

/facepalm

Way I look at it, what is the possibility you consumed 3500 calories - I mean look honestly. Did you log every piece of chocolate? If so - it's just math. 3500 calories is one pound.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    That is very very dangerous behaviour ( i mean the purging). I want you to not beat yourself up and hate yourself for making a slip. We all do it and one bad choice is not going to mess everything up if make good choices after..but binging and purging is NEVER the answer, its unhealthy and very addictive behaviour. We are all human and will over indulge from time to time...but if we can't control it I suggest finding a food addicts group and seeing if they are for you. Main thing is stop the cycle of guilt, and not worry about what the extra calories will do for one moment in time and go for an extra session @ the gym on the days after you go over board
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    When you said you made yourself sick, I didn't know you meant literally. You know that's not healthy. Probably more so then being overweight. I'm sure you know the side affects of what you did. You don't want it to become a habit. I'm not in the medical profession, so I'm not going there, but I have seen it first hand and it's not a pretty sight (no, not me). Just do be careful.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would be more concerned about purging than about eating the chocolate. Everyone of us here on MFP have made bad choices either for a meal, a whole day or a whole week; but you put the past behind you and get back on track at the next meal! You have to always be moving forward. When I find that I have binged in some way, I try to drink lots of water and get myself out walking - that is a much healthier way to counteract bad food choices then throwing up. Hoping you will try to let go of what has happened and know that when it occurs again, you can make a better choice about how to cope with it. Good luck to you on this journey.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would just remember that longterm weight loss results from your actions over time... not just for one night! Yes, this may set you back a litle this week, but if you let it get to you and quit, then the impact of one slip will be magnified.

Let it go, and just keep going. Be easy on yourself, and look longterm.

.... and maybe keep the chocolate out of the house. ;)
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me yesterday at work only mine was pizza. I was just going to have a little but it was good and I did feel bad after. I got to the desk and entered in what I ate. I seen that I would have been over my calories for the day so every chance I had I walked and drank more water. One day isn't going to hurt but making yourself sick is going to end up really doing damage. Promise us that you'll never do that again.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, NEVER make yourself sick, becoming bulimic is WAAAAYYYY worse than the odd splurge of chocolate.... on the plus point, at least you were honest enough to admit it :smile:

Try having snack size versions of chocolate available- you can get a "fix" without eating huge amounts- I lost over 50lbs years ago, but always allowed myself a snack size chocolate bar when I wanted it.... my mentality is weird, if I think I'm being depived I want it even more :sad: So the small quantity fixes my craving without going silly :smile: I ALWAYS log it on my food on here too, so I can see the impact and be honest with myself, cos to me, denial only starts bad habits too :noway:

I love MFP and all you guys contributions.... I think this is why I am losing weight at the fastest yet most sensible way I have ever done in my life.... and loving it too :bigsmile:
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    The purging is definitely more worrying than the binge. You have to move on from this and not let this become a way of controlling your diet. If you eat something you shouldn't, vomiting it back is bad news. Far better to to have chocolate in moderation and cancel it out by additional exercise and being extra healthy the next day. We all have days that are not so good, and it's not the end of the world if you don't let it be.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Just when I was beign sensible the whole week, I had to have a bloody blip! I ate half a bag of assorted chocolates yesterday at 11pm at night, feeling guilty and terrified of the effects, I made myself sick :(. But this time it tasted more like acid than chocolate : /

How will this affect my weigh in on sunday?

No idea, but make a promise to yourself that you will never make yourself sick just because you had that sort of blip!!!

The acid taste, more than likely was bile. That bile can rot your teeth, it is meant for the stomach and to aid digestion not to come back up your pipes to your mouth!

Secondly, most of the calories will have already been absorbed before you made yourself vomit, it is a pointless exercise, futile.

Therefore, accept you ate them, accept your weigh-in may not be what you was hoping for this week, but also accept the fact that tomorrow is another day and next week will be another weigh-in. It is never too late.

You had a blip with choccie, move on. I doubt you would do the same thing again as you are truly horrified anyway. Don't expect the world at your Sunday weigh-in, just make a resolution to crack on for next week xxx
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    As they say stuff happens. Biggest thing don't give up acknowledge the mistake and move on. Maybe today exersise alittle longer to burn the chocolate off. When I screw up I push the exersise a little longer. When your hungry late at night and craving just get a few snack out of the bag and put the bag away. Then get a big glass of water and for each bite take a drink of water, hopefully that will decrease the amount you need and satisify the craving.
  • absie107
    Options
    i agree with maryshstattoo. you can't go back and change what happened, but you can definitely change everything you do from this point on. just drink a lot of water, forgive yourself because you're human, and we ALL do it, no matter what people say. They're lying. We all have our mess ups. Breathe, remember your body is a temple and you want to treat it well, exercise a little more, and you're right back on the horse.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't ever make yourself sick just because you ate a couple of cookies. Purging, or bulimia, can seriously affect your health, both mentally and physically. If you need something sweet, have a couple of cookies or a piece of chocolate. If you're feeling guilty about it, which you shouldn't, spend a bit of extra time exercising the next day. A couple of hundred calories really aren't all that significant in the long run. As one person pointed out, it takes 3500 calories to add one pound of fat. It's much better to have a treat once in a while than to deprive yourself until your cravings make you eat half a box of cookies and have to deal with feelings of guilt afterwards. I had a parent that did the same thing on a regular basis because of their obsession with their weight. I know firsthand how it can affect the people around that person. Please don't do it to yourself or your family and friends.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Making yourself sick will cause you way more damage than eating :sad: :sad:
    "Falling of the wagon" happens sometimes and as long as you are aware of it, you know what to do: GET UP the NEXT morning and GO work Those Calories OUT.. Drink more water, Eat very healthy the Next day and Stay within you Caloric Intake..

Will it affect your weight loss? No because it is one time.. One pound = 3500 calories.. So Do the Math

Don't stress over it and Don't destroy yourself over it.. Life is Too short and precious.. Enjoy it, be healthy and live it to the fullest

To your health
    Dounia