Couch to 5k?

Options
I just started the program today. I was wondering if anyone is or has tried it. :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Log your jogging intervals as one run (if at the same pace), then your walking intervals as one. So, let's say you ran for a minute, walked for a minute for 10 minutes. Your pace on the runs was 5mph and your pace on the walks was 3 mph. I'd log that as 5 minutes running 5 mph and 5 minutes walking 3 mph. If you want to be more accurate, you could always invest in a HR monitor, then create a custom exercise.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I went from gasping after a half mile to running 10k races with a C25k and then a 5k to 10k program. It's a great way to get started. Just remember to keep your pace reasonable (which probably means slower than you think it should be). You should be able to carry on a conversation while you run. If you're gasping too hard for that, slow down and let your body catch up.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I did it. This week is technically my last week, but I started surpassing the time requirement a couple of weeks ago. It works!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I graduated early this year. I was not a runner and this program changed that. Today I ran a 5K route where the first 2.5K are uphill...something I never thought I would be able to do before.
    Find your pace. If you feel winded slow down. There's no such thing as too slow but there is such a thing as too fast.
    You can do this. The hardest part is starting.
  • PinkLotus4
    PinkLotus4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This sounds really interesting...Must read up on it....
  • gonnasee33
    gonnasee33 Posts: 163
    Options
    C25K graduate here (2 weeks early in fact) .. Started it once ... lost 60 lbs... got what I "wanted" and didn't see it through.. fast forward about 2 years .. put 45 of those 60 lbs back on and picked up the program again.. and told myself I AM GOING TO FINISH THIS and lost 27 of those 45 LBS. Now that ive finished the program its built a habit that I intend to keep up for as long as I can.
    Oh BTW i was a severe asthmatic when I started and now I havnt touched a "rescue inhaler" in over 5 months happy

What helped me out was

1) sticking with it .. you can do this ! If you cant make it through one of the days dont give up .. Some exercise is better than none at all.. Just try again tomorrow

and

2) The program only has you running 3 days a week.. Instead of sticking to that .. I did the program everyday and did each "day" 2 times.. (IE did w1/d1 Monday AND Tuesday then moved to w1/d2 for Wednesday and Thursday.. etc etc etc)

Hope this helps.. you (or anyone else reading this thread) can feel free to add me if you want
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i just ran a badly mapped 5 k (it turned out to be 4.3 km) in 23 minutes, if it had been a 5 k, that means i would have been less than hald an hour! I almost died when i hit week 4 and had to go 8 minutes without stopping!
  • tdoerr2
    tdoerr2 Posts: 89
    Options
    I started it and was doing really well. Lost my job, became depressed and stopped. That's been 18 months now. I need to start again.
  • Lymberly
    Lymberly Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm doing the program right now! I love it!! I have done each week a little longer than the program states but there is nothing wrong with that : ) I hadn't run since highschool when I started the program and now running outside has become my therapy : ) just stuck with the program - push yourself - but if you need more time before advancing that's ok : ) good luck! Xoxo
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm in the midst of the 10k variant. It's good stuff. My suggestion is to take the "run at a comfortable pace" stuff seriously, as it really does minimize wear and tear during the early stages.
  • PinkLotus4
    PinkLotus4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea Kelcie....I printed the program last night and officially started it. I did closer to 30 minutes last night and it felt good! Even got hubby to join in :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've tried C25k several times. I get to week 7 then I just can't get over the hump. I would probably use it to the point that you do the 20 minute straight run, but instead of continuing with it, slow down your pace and do whatever pace you can do for 30 minutes.

My pace is very slow, but at least now I can run/jog/walk with bounce for a 5k. By slow, I mean I average about 4.3 mph.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i just started this yesterday. I tried it once before and liked it but just didn't have the motivation to stick with it. Hopefully its dfferent this time but i do really enjoy it, i don't even notice that it takes a half an hour to complete.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I did everything by trial and error. I really wish I had known about the program. I have had people come to me now that I am an experienced runner (ha ha) and I tell them to do this first. They all got up to speed, so to speak, because of it. Not only does your cardio build, but you get your muscles and bones and everything else ready for the rigors of running. Highly recommended.
  • witchlight
    Options
    I just finished week 3 today, it was supposed to be intervals of 3 minute runs/walking, but I ended up running for 8 full mins because I just felt like carrying on! I love it. Considering a couple of weeks ago I nearly died running for 30 seconds :)
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did the program once fully 2 years ago. I could run, outside!, for 30 minutes. I never skipped ahead even though by week 5 you definitely can if you're diligent. I started it again 4 weeks ago because I haven't run for 18 months, and I'm really liking it again.

IMO week 5 is the *worst* week, but if you build up to it it's not so bad. Keep redoing weeks until you're comfortable. And on't give up like I did once you accomplish week 9. Big dumb mistake on my part. Go back and re-do weeks, interval running is best.

Have fun!