One "bad" month

Options
Hello! I've been busy this past month with a few celebrations and out of town things. I'd have to say that while I always want to try my best in eating within my limits and exercising, it doesn't work; especially on vacation where things aren't always "in my control". My question is, within this month, should i be totally worried that I've ruined it all. Or is most of it going to be the water weight that comes off. I try to make good choices, minus maybe the dinner or lunch , and I do try to exercise where I can, like jogging, walking, or this time I even brought my skates with me. Thank you in advance. (i'm trying to maintain 114lbs at 5'4" although some people feel i should gain weight...I like how I am right now).

Replies

• Cleffer
    Cleffer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I loved the statement "one bad meal doesn't make you fat any more than dieting one meal made you skinny." Same goes for a month. It's alright to fail. It's your resolve that makes you who you are. Stay strong and fight the good fight. Make a LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!!!! Good luck!!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I loved the statement "one bad meal doesn't make you fat any more than dieting one meal made you skinny." Same goes for a month. It's alright to fail. It's your resolve that makes you who you are. Stay strong and fight the good fight. Make a LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!!!! Good luck!!

Couldn't agree more with this - so so true. Essentially remember that only YOU have the power to change anything and everything.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I really appreciate that, and you're right its my resolve. i've had a time like this where I've ate so poorly and without moderation; but I was able to handle it in the end and get back to where i was. :) I appreciate the kind words!
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No way, one bad month is nothing! Especially since you're maintaining.

One thing I hate is when people say "I'm gonna eat all this crap today cos I'm starting my diet tomorrow,' it's a cop out. When you decide to make a change, you start IN THAT MOMENT. Whether you had a large big mac meal 10 mins earlier, or an apple, you make the change straight after you make that decision.

My point is, just because you've had a bad month, doesn't mean you've ruined all your hard work. And if you make the change from this moment, you'll be lighter and healthier next week than you are today, quick and simple!
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi....

I think it's important to just move forward.

Also, (and I don't mean this to be snarky in anyway)....eating and exercising are always in your control. There's always time to do something to exercise and eating, even if you aren't preparing foods, is still within our control of how much you eat. Is it harder when you're not in your kitchen making your own food, absolutely. Is it impossible....no way!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    From someone who is now losing the weight i regained... i think a month of "bad" eating is the slippery slope to gaining it all back.

If I were you..I'd weigh everyday and get back on track right now. Losing it again sucks, and for me; I feel frustratred that I did it to myself by just ignorning it and not weighing and getting back on track while there is only a few pounds to lose to get back to goal.

Good luck.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    What is the alternative? Have another bad month? Going back to your regular healthy lifestyle is the only thing you can do. Same goes for a bad year or a bad decade. If you find yourself having a lot of "bad" periods, though, maybe your regular healthy lifestyle is too restrictive (I don't mean you specifically, just in general).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I so agree. Go back to what you were doing. If you need to go into deficit for a little while to get back to baseline, do that. Otherwise, back to maintain.

If one bad month ruined a body/metabolism then all of us would look like blimps.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just had my 'bad' month - had two holidays, one of them at a french chateau with all inclusive 7 course meals. GAHH!!

Surprisingly enough, I only seem to have gained about 2lbs after a month of not really watching what I ate, but I agree with whoever said above that it could be a slippery slope. So I decided now that there are no holidays, there are no excuses. Back on the regime!!
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate all comments, including those that state that I shouldn't take any excuses.

That being said: some of the foods are in celebration of my milestones, and yes, I'm actually not able to calculate them. I try to have a little of each but who knows what it is in the end.
    I don't have a scale where I am that is accurate at all
    I am exercising at the very least.

So when I get back, yes I will go into the deficit if necessary
    Thank you all!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I go on 4-5 vacations a year, cruises, Vegas, places there are good food and drinks, and when I don't exercise at all.

I will come back 3-4 pounds heavier, in reality, it is only water weight. Usually 2 weeks before vacation, I will go into slight deficit and just eat as healthy as possible, sometimes going down a few pounds. Then I enjoy my vacation thoroughly. Then when I come back, I spend a week getting back to normal, eating at a slight deficit. It is usually gone by the end of the week.

I exercise 5 times a week year round, and eat healthy/unprocessed/within calorie limits 85% of the time. As long as I remain diligent under normal circumstances (and really, it isn't hard to do, it has become second nature) I bounce right back after vacation.

It is also a mental thing...if you think you're throwing everything away on vacation, so &*^*%% it, that is going to set you up for failure. So enjoy your vacation and enjoy life!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just jump back on track, and change your outlook might help, because things are ALWAYS in your control.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance yet, but this thread is what I needed today. I've really been struggling lately- I had a week off of "on-plan" eating, and it's been a real struggle to get back on the horse- I've been so burned out. Part of it likely is I'm very restrictive when 'on plan' so get extra resentful.

But "on plan" and "off" are meaningless, really, becuase I'm shaping a healthier lifestyle! If I need to loosen the reigns a bit, for a week or even a month, thats ok, so long as I know what I need to do to bring them back in. Be AWARE of the slippery slope, and continue to make good choices for the most part, and live a little for the rest. It will shake out.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I had a bad three months. There is nothing set in stone. Gain a bit? Get back to trying to lose those pounds and making plans so that your lifestyle is more manageable and it'll be harder to gain again. As others have said, it's all in your control. YOU have to want it. YOU have to work for it. The weight loss does not give up on you. You give up on it. You can do this!
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Hi....

I think it's important to just move forward.

Also, (and I don't mean this to be snarky in anyway)....eating and exercising are always in your control. There's always time to do something to exercise and eating, even if you aren't preparing foods, is still within our control of how much you eat. Is it harder when you're not in your kitchen making your own food, absolutely. Is it impossible....no way!

I disagree with this. I am a working mother (40 hours a week). I have 2 children. We have piano, girl scouts, band and ROTC. I am always on the road. Getting up at 6, getting home at 5 to start dinner then I run to pick up my oldest daughter. I get back, finish dinner, clean up, go over homework with my youngest, attempt to start a load of laundry and pick up wherever it's needed. When everything is said and done, it's after 9:00. I try to grab a quick walk during piano once a week but I am the girl scout leader so I have to be present for those meeting. So you tell me, how do I have time to get in a regular exercise routine? I am trying to budget my time to fit it in but for those of us who have extremely active lives, it's not always as easy as you are making it sound. Some days I don't even see my house and majority of drive thrus don't offer heatlhy options. Have you ever tried to eat a salad and drive? Just curious.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    From someone who is now losing the weight i regained... i think a month of "bad" eating is the slippery slope to gaining it all back.

If I were you..I'd weigh everyday and get back on track right now. Losing it again sucks, and for me; I feel frustratred that I did it to myself by just ignorning it and not weighing and getting back on track while there is only a few pounds to lose to get back to goal.

Good luck.

This is me!! I had lost and maintained for 9 months and then this summer, stopped the routine of weighing, logging and reading posts on MFP. Now I find 10 extra lbs on my body. I am back on track and feel great but... it took 3 months to put it on and will take a while to take it off. I find maintaining harder than losing. I will keep on plan for years to come as I don't want this to happen again. As it approaches fall, the new clothes I bought last year need to fit!!!
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, i always think i can lose 2lb a week so eating bad a month will probably make me gain half a stone, so if eat low cal and exercise for a month you should be back to were you was before the bad month, thats how it works with my body anyway but not everyone is the same x