okay to go below 1200 calories in my situation?

Options
I am a busy college kid so on Saturdays & Sundays I basically lie in my bed watching Tv or reading for my homework. Is it okay if I go below 1200 calories if i am doing nothing?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its hard to know without more info...what are your goals? Height? Weight?
  • 3sixtyFit
    Options
    How active are you?? Do you train with weights at all? Do you know your BMR? In my opinion if you do any resistance training you should still hit your BMR. Because even on days that you're not active your body still needs the calories to help you recover.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    My height is 5'5, weight is 115 lb. My goal is to be toned and leaned. I haven't really started exercising yet because I have been recovering from a surgery but I am gonna start exercising in a couple of weeks. In the past I always did cardio b/c Im not too familiar with weight training
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You are light enough, so in no way is it ok for you to go below 1200 calories unless for some strange reason your doctor told you to. You should certainly not do so recovering from surgery. Now is the time to eat up and maintain (or gain a bit.)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Not okay to eat under 1200 calories. Cardio won't get you "toned".
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1347. Unfortunately I'm not educated in the slightest in calorie needs for toning. Anyone else?
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    you are young and have 5lbs to lose..no reason to eat below 1200 calories..try lifting weights and you will be toned in no time
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't know you, so it may be fine, but in general 115 is already knocking on the door of underweight for your height. I would suggest eating more and doing strength training to get the kind of muscle tone you seem looking for. Cardio and restriction will make you lose weight, but you won't look the way you want.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    you are young and have 5lbs to lose..no reason to eat below 1200 calories..try lifting weights and you will be toned in no time

Why do you say she has 5 lbs to lose?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

If you look at her profile it says she wants to on her ticker.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

If you look at her profile it says she wants to on her ticker.

Ah ok thank you. OP, that would take you into underweight category.
  • 3sixtyFit
    Options
    My height is 5'5, weight is 115 lb. My goal is to be toned and leaned. I haven't really started exercising yet because I have been recovering from a surgery but I am gonna start exercising in a couple of weeks. In the past I always did cardio b/c Im not too familiar with weight training

To get the look that it sounds like you are looking for you will definitely need to start resistance training. Your weight is already low so i would suggest to stay away from doing large amounts of cardio as that wont get you to where you want to be by itself. If you don't have much experience with weight training i would try and find someone close to you that knows what they are doing that would be willing to help you out. As people have said in the above posts def don't drop your calories that low and should be taking in more.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the awesome answers! I know that it sounds like i am skinny but if u look at me, i dont look like im skinny at all. Thats why im trying to get toned