Protein snacks

Options
Does any one have any suggestion for easy on the go protein snacks. ( I don't mind if I have to make them myself)
I've been really busy lately and hardly ever at home, when I am out I don't want to get bad food so I don't eat anything :( I've noticed that sometimes I won't eat anything from 9.30am until about 4pm. I know that isn't good.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    BUMP as I'd like to know some as well.

I would suggest a few slices of cooked chicken or ham though
    or
    some mixed nuts :)
  • tracedinair87
    tracedinair87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quick protein cake:

1. Mix one egg with a scoop of protein powder.
    2. Microwave for approximately 50 seconds.
    3. Top with peanut butter, sugar free syrup, or whatever you like.

Voila!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My go-to's: hard boiled eggs, almonds/nuts, mini lite BabyBel cheeses, Quest bars (not on a regular basis, though).

Other ideas: Greek yogurt (watch the added sugar in the fruit ones like Chobani), natural peanut butter, meat (think cooked chicken breast or Applegate Farms deli meats - you can get the latter at Trader Joe's/Whole Foods).
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Quick protein cake:

Voila!

Thanks for that idea - topped with peanut butter sounds delish!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I tried greek yogurt for the first time the other day, it was strawberry. Is it supposed to taste a bit sour ?
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My fave is tinned sardines! You can get them super cheap and just have to chuck one tin in your bag with a fork :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried greek yogurt for the first time the other day, it was strawberry. Is it supposed to taste a bit sour ?

Yep.

Otherwise cottage cheese, cheese, and obviously protein bars.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Quick protein cake

Damn, that's awesome!

Fat-free Greek yogurt is one of my staples. Dannon makes these Light & Fit cups with fruit on the bottom that I like. They have 80 calories, 9g of carbs and 12g of protein.
  • titanium2012
    Options
    I've been getting into crunchy chickpeas lately. 1 oz has about 6 grams of protein. You can buy them prepackaged or make them in the oven and then pack them to go. I'm thinking they'll be a good alternative to chips/other crap during football season.
  • princessfiona
    princessfiona Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been packaging up 14-15,raw almonds in a snack sized bag... About 110 cal.
    Cottage cheese
    Mini babybel light
    Cheese strings
    Boiled egg

And banana bread protein muffins http://completerecipes.com/Banana-Bread-Protein-Muffins.html
    (I made a few changes, used yoplait source yogurt, 4 whole eggs instead of whites, used splenda, and added 1 tbsp chia and 1/2 c coconut. Made my way they are only 78 cal, 3g fat, 9g carb, 1.5 g fibre (7.5g net carb), and 4.4g protein.
    No flour! And my bf loves them! They're a staple for us now!
  • princessfiona
    princessfiona Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've also been prepping veggies when I come home from the grocery store so they're easy to grab when feeling snacky.. And making barley and lentil soup on Sunday, for light healthy weekday lunches.
    I've also been making overnight oats (1/3 c each milk, plain yogurt (Greek, but you could use any) and oats) stir and leave in fride overnight. I also add 1 tbsp chia, and 1/3 c blueberries, a couple dashes cinnamon and a few drops stevia.... This really helps on mornings when I don't want to make anything. Last night I made them up for the whole week.
    ...this has helped me lose 13lbs in the past 2 weeks!
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    How about dried meat like beef jerky? Plenty of protein in it, relatively low calories and very tasty.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I've been getting into crunchy chickpeas lately. 1 oz has about 6 grams of protein. You can buy them prepackaged or make them in the oven and then pack them to go. I'm thinking they'll be a good alternative to chips/other crap during football season.

yea 32g of carbs for 8g of protein sounds like its a protein snack
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Whats the best ratio protein v carbs ?
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    beef jerky, cheese, peanut butter, nuts, low cal protein shakes
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Holy hell, 32g of carbs. I thought it was a good idea.....Nevermind.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought these Nature Valley Protein bars. They are really good and easy to keep handy.

190 calories, 17g carbs, 10g protein.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Quick protein cake:

Voila!

Neat idea!