Upping calories not sugar

Options
I have a huge calorie deficit everyday. But I get too close to going over my allowed sugar if I try to get more calories. What are some things I can eat that have calories, but not sugar and huge amounts of sodium?

Replies

• MichelleLRayburn
    MichelleLRayburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, and it has zero sugar per serving.It is a healthy grain for getting good carbs.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sugar, or carbohydrates? MFP tracks both, but sugar is just a subset of carbs. I just track carbs and hide the sugar column, and I'm prediabetic.

But, to answer the question: anything with protein or fat.
  • poopingrainbows
    poopingrainbows Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im prediabetic so trying to lose weight and pay attention to what exactly Im eating. My fitness planner thingymabobber gives me 38 sugars a day and Im supposed to hit 1700 calories. Okee dokee.After eating all my fruit and veggies a day, Im way under calories (like only eating 980 a day) and just about at my sugar limit. So was thinking maybe I need to add a protein powder or eat egg whites or something. Im coming in under my carbs too. yikes.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nuts - almonds, cashews, macadamia, peanuts....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, cheese...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am vegan o go over on sugar everyday i only worry about it unless its processed sugar

I dont have any disorders though have you talked to your doc about it rice and beans are great :) i love oatmeal as well but i think i am the only fruit loop that likes it plain uncooked lol
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Im prediabetic so trying to lose weight and pay attention to what exactly Im eating. My fitness planner thingymabobber gives me 38 sugars a day and Im supposed to hit 1700 calories. Okee dokee.After eating all my fruit and veggies a day, Im way under calories (like only eating 980 a day) and just about at my sugar limit. So was thinking maybe I need to add a protein powder or eat egg whites or something. Im coming in under my carbs too. yikes.

In a hypocaloric diet even high carbs have shown to still be fine for blood sugar control.

The more weight you will lose the less insulin resistance you will have. Take in more protein or fruit with a low glycemic LOAD if you are worried.

I honestly wouldnt worry if you are under calories
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    protein is important
  • poopingrainbows
    poopingrainbows Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    awesome. Thanks all.
    the program gives me calories back for when I work out too, so..... yeah. I do turbo fire 6 days a week, so Im getting all these "bonus calories" I can "spend" ? I can barely get enough calories to hit the 1700 without the bonus ones I earn!
    I'll try the nuts and egg whites, maybe some protein powder. The only sugar I get a day that isnt from vegg and fruit is from my coffee creamer. Its the one vice I have left! ;)

Thanks!!!