Freshman 15

Options
Hi! So I just started college and I'm terrified of the freshman 15, I've been in boarding school for two years but still. I think I already started gaining it. I weighed like 108 and I'm 5'5 and now I'm 110 lbs. I eat 3 egg whites with ketchup every morning and then I have a salad ( all veggies) with balsamic for my other meals(I have a bit of hummus). I just don't want to gain! Tips?

Replies

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You won't gain the freshman fifteen unless you completely change your habits.

Most people gain it because they then have the freedom to eat whatever they want and eat the wrong things

Also, the availability of fast food, and alcohol are probably what does it for most.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough weight to sustain your body. Here is a very basic way to see a general idea of how many calories you need every day:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If you eat the way you are, you will inevitably kill your metabolism. I'm foot 9 and 110 pounds (working on gaining at the moment) and I MAINTAIN my weight at about 2000 calories (without working out). What you are doing is both unsafe and unsustainable; think about your future when making choices like these.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You won't gain the freshman fifteen unless you completely change your habits.

Most people gain it because they then have the freedom to eat whatever they want and eat the wrong things

Also, the availability of fast food, and alcohol are probably what does it for most.

What she said. I can't imagine how you could gain weight based on how you described your diet.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A couple of things: 1) Based on your BMI you are underweight. It will be healthier for you to gain some weight.

2) Going from 108 to 110 is not a huge change, it could just be water weight, wearing different clothes while you weigh in, or you need to go to the bathroom. Do not worry about it.

3) You need to eat more. You're breakfast is puny, maybe a 100 calories if you're generous with the ketchup. And I can't imagine having just two more salads would fill you up. When I tried eating 1300 a day I was tired and hardly losing weight, but when I increased it to 1700, with some exercise, I saw my fastest results. Try making little changes, such as having two or three whole eggs, then add some meat to your salads. Or try other foods such as a taco where you can add meat, cheese, and all the veggies you want.

4) Stay away from alcohol, or learn to enjoy it in small amounts.

5) Your school might have nutritional info posted online or in the cafeterias, find out.

But the last thing you need to worry about is gaining weight. Find a club or join use the rec center and EAT MORE. That way you'll have energy for your actives and put on some healthy weight.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    I know that I am slightly underweight but on my frame it looks larger