Issue with food measurements

Options
motivateq
motivateq Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi,
I am brand new to MFP and I really like it so far. The only issue I have is that everything is computed in grams. I've read all the blogs about how this is an international site and I do appreciate that. The thing is when I measure, because I am an American, I do so in cups. For instance I had two cups of roasted broccoli and zucchini with my dinner. When I went to track that food it says "1 serving = 90g". What does that even mean? I have no idea how much broccoli is in 90g. I researched it on Google and it says 1/2 cup of liquid = 96 g. How does that help me with an item like broccoli or turkey or.....? I do want to make this work but I don't want to have to be near my scale every time I want to eat a bulk item. I'm trying not to eat a lot of processed stuff which does have the exact grams or ounces which is helpful. Any response to this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and use the grams setting. Even in the U.S. food labels will provide a grams equivalent for the usual 1/2 cup (or other) serving. Measuring food in cups is wildly inaccurate anyway and you'll get much better results this way. I picked up my last one at Walmart for about $12. They're not expensive.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    The majority of the food in the database is entered by members who enter it the way they want it for their particular use. But -

1. You can always enter your own foods.

If you use the database here, always use the entries in the database that have been entered by the MFP Staff. They are entered correctly, and they give options of ounces or grams, or cups or liters, tablespoons, etc.
    An added bonus is they list important things like Potassium, Vit A, Vit B, Magnesium and more in these admin-entered foods.

You can find these by looking for the entries in the database that have NO ASTERISK ( * ) in front of them.

When it comes to any fruit or vegetable, the easiest way is to enter "potatos raw" - if you always enter "raw" it cuts the list way down and makes it much easier to find the no asterisk ones. That applies to meats, too.

Also, if you enter your own food, or EDIT any foods they will then appear with no asterisk in the main database, and also can then be found quickly in MY FOODS.

2. Buy a digital food scale. Why? It's the only way to be accurate.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    (I'm American.) Definitely get a digital food scale and use the gram setting. It will make such a difference. You can weigh your broccoli, then look up "Broccoli 100g." If your broccoli weighs 234g, that's 2.34 servings. So much more accurate than using cups for something solid and textured like broccoli. I choose to do almost everything in grams if possible. If you get used to it, I think you'll love it. It really becomes the easiest way.
  • zcheeze
    zcheeze Posts: 25
    Options
    There is also a place in "settings' where you can change your units.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    There is also a place in "settings' where you can change your units.

Wait, what? Where? Link?
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

...admin-entered foods. ...

You can find these by looking for the entries in the database that have NO ASTERISK ( * ) in front of them.

I'm pretty new also (active since June) and I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the tip.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yeah u can change it in your settings if cup is what u want to use. But I scan the barcode a on everything I eat so that's how I enter my food. I love the scanner saves me time trying to search for stuff.
  • motivateq
    Options
    Thanks so much to everybody for the replies. I work in a fire station and eating is very much a luxury on most days. The idea of pulling out a scale may take WAY too much time and effort. I'll see how it goes. Cups are always handy in that environment whereas at home I can weigh things to the hilt.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Most foods there are a number of entries to choose from with different measurement units, so if you poke around you should be able to find some that measure in cups. Also, adding raw or boiled to the end of the description will often help you find a non-asterisk entry that usually has a lot of units available (broccoli raw or broccoli boiled instead of broccoli).

In general of course it's better to weigh things, but I personally have zero worries about overeating non-starchy veggies. It would be a total NSV for me if I ever got to a danger level there. :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yeah u can change it in your settings if cup is what u want to use. But I scan the barcode a on everything I eat so that's how I enter my food. I love the scanner saves me time trying to search for stuff.

Ok, that may explain the previous post about changing settings. That feature is a mobile app feature, it sounds like. They get all the cool stuff. :ohwell:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a food scale that measures in grams and ounces...it is far more accurate than using cups and measuring spoons. You know how many nuts I can fit into a 1/4 cup serving...a lot more than 30 grams, that's for sure...so if I were to use my measuring cup instead of weighing out 30 grams, I'd be consuming more calories...and with something as caloric dense as nuts, it could add up quick and completely wipe out a calorie deficit.
This discussion has been closed.