fat/carbs/protein ratio

Options
I'm trying to stick to low carb since that seem to be my biggest problem. I'm not really into sweets, but I love my bread and love sandwiches to the point that I rather have a good grilled cheese sandwich than a nice meal at a restaurant.

I try to keep my carb intake to around 50 gr/day (mainly fruits and the occasional skinny cow treat).

I'm doing 1200 cal/ day so what and the carbs are 200 cals which is roughly 17%.
SO how should I divide the remaining calories. I was thinking 15% fat and the rest protein?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you want your carbs that low?

Eating only four slices of sandwich turkey and a peace of laughing cow cheese put my carbs at 9%. When that was the only thing logged.

(Hey, i know it was a weird breakfast, but it's what I wanted.)

Considering that, I think 17% carbs would be really really hard to attain...
  • shirshir36
    shirshir36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for few weeks now and I checked and I'm between 50-75 gr most days.
    I have a protein shake in the morning which has 2 gr of carbs. Lunch is a salad with lunch meat or grilled chicken, or imitation crab meat. Dinner is fish or chicken and another salad. Snack is apple. Most day, there is no rice, potatoes, pasta or corn.
    and I also drink another protein shake after my workout.

So maybe 25% carb is a bit more realistic?
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you rethink your macro ratios to make your diet more liveable. Even bodybuilders cut on a 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% Fats ratio to single digit bodyfat levels. Even though you are probably not a bodybuilder, I bring them up because they are the most disciplined and dedicated individuals when it comes to diet and fitness. Their methods are the most well researched and efficient especially when it comes to results.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you rethink your macro ratios to make your diet more liveable. Even bodybuilders cut on a 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% Fats ratio to single digit bodyfat levels. Even though you are probably not a bodybuilder, I bring them up because they are the most disciplined and dedicated individuals when it comes to diet and fitness. Their methods are the most well researched and efficient especially when it comes to results.

Well this is just untrue... and as an aside, what a bodybuilder will do is so far removed from what would be appl8icable here it doesn't even bear drawing a comparison.

My advice would be to eat the way that works for you. If you would rather cut carbs to a very low level then I would consider these questions:
    1. What is your activity level? For many people a lot of intense exercise requires a decent intake of CHO for fuel. If you are getting most of your exercise from low intensity cardio for example, you may function perfectly well.
    2. How does your body tolerate carbs? Some people have a high tolerance to CHO and can cut fat whilst eating a lot, and others need to have a significant reduction in carbs to lose fat.
    3. Do you like them? If you have no reason to leave them out (as per the questions above) then don't. As long as you can eat them in moderation and they do not trigger binge behaviour, then have them! There is nothing wrong with the occasional grilled cheese if it fits your macros!

You are better off looking at your total caloric intake as the most important factor. Then getting your minimum amount of proteins and fats - focusing more on 'good' fats. What ever is left within your calorie allowance you can fill with whatever you like. Carbs, or more fat or protein... it's up to you.
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Well this is just untrue... and as an aside, what a bodybuilder will do is so far removed from what would be appl8icable here it doesn't even bear drawing a comparison.

How so? The same principles are preached in all these forums and the methods are proven down to the science. Please don't perpetuate any stereotypes or negativity in order to prove a point. You wrote alot but you didn't actually give any advice or make any real points. If the OP knew what works for her, she would not be asking for suggestions.

OP, the point I was trying to make is that there's no need to go to such extreme lengths. The best diet is one that you can stick with because consistency is what produces results. Its going to be easier to stick to a ratio that allows you to consume 120g worth of carbs rather than one that forces you live on less than half of that. Also don't just cut your calories and carbs drastically but rather systematically drop them every couple weeks. The body is always adapting as it progresses and so you will hit plateaus. You want to be able to have options when you do. It's much easier to cut an extra 20g of carbs to 100g rather than cut from 50g to 30g. Seeing as how you love carbs and your diary says you burned 883 calories exercising yesterday, I think my advice is very applicable.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding carbs?

They are used in your body producing glycogen and provide you with energy.

Carbs are not evil.

Carbs do not make you fat.

Eating too much makes you fat.

Your body needs carbohydrates.

It is on the bottom of the food guide pyramid for a reason.

If you are cutting calories, I don't see the reason to so completely avoid carbs
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    OP, the point I was trying to make is that there's no need to go to such extreme lengths. The best diet is one that you can stick with because consistency is what produces results. Its going to be easier to stick to a ratio that allows you to consume 120g worth of carbs rather than one that forces you live on less than half of that. Also don't just cut your calories and carbs drastically but rather systematically drop them every couple weeks. The body is always adapting as it progresses and so you will hit plateaus. You want to be able to have options when you do. It's much easier to cut an extra 20g of carbs to 100g rather than cut from 50g to 30g. Seeing as how you love carbs and your diary says you burned 883 calories exercising yesterday, I think my advice is very applicable.

This makes more sense. Making a blanket statement about 'what bodybuilders do' wasn't particularly useful IMO, but this was is solid advice.

I didn't tell the OP what to do, because it is important to get people asking themselves the right questions, then formulating a strategy based on that - rather than always giving generic advice.

As I said, barring any personal or tolerance issues, a split like 40/40/20 is very well balanced and will work for a lot of people.

Looks like we're pretty much of the same opinion in the end :happy: . Take a sensible approach, nothing to extreme, and adjust over time based on what works for you personally.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding carbs?

They are used in your body producing glycogen and provide you with energy.

Carbs are not evil.

Carbs do not make you fat.

Eating too much makes you fat.

Your body needs carbohydrates.

It is on the bottom of the food guide pyramid for a reason.

If you are cutting calories, I don't see the reason to so completely avoid carbs

It's on the bottom of the food guide pyramid because it's the most profitable for the Agricultural industry.

Carbs are not evil, as you said though. They are your energy source. If you don't feel low on energy and if you can complete your workouts with sufficient intensity, go ahead and keep your carbs down there.
  • shirshir36
    shirshir36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Lots of good advice. I will keep a closer eye on my carbs consumption. So far I haven't had any energy issue. The main reason I'm avoiding carbs is that it seems to trigger binge eating. I haven't felt hungry at all in the last 2 plus months since I made the change. I think carbs for me are an addiction. Just my body seems to feel much happy without them.
  • fastfoodv
    Options
    Your carb intake is very low. I recommend around 50% of total calories from carbohydrate, 30% from fat and 15% to 20% from protein.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen