It's AMAZING what 6 weeks can bring!!

Options
I found MFP kind of on a fluke - a friend of mine on Facebook mentioned that she was losing weight using this site and loved it. I didn't pay much attention to it at first honestly. I was happy for her... but I had been on so many diets my entire adult life, and figured I was just kind of meant to be fat. I'm married, have given birth to 4 children (2 c-sections) so it was "explainable" why I was overweight - and was pretty happy with myself. I feel like I dress well for my size and didn't look too darn bad, and darn it - I like pizza!! lol My hubby loved me just the way I was, so why should I worry about it? Then one day on a whim, I pulled out one of my walk-aerobics dvd's (that had been in a drawer for 2 years!!) and decided I was going to exercise that day for 30 minutes. Well, that's ALL it took! I was sweating like a pig, and it felt GREAT! lol I had forgotten how good it felt to exercise! Then I went back to my FB friend's page and asked her about MFP... and joined that day. That was August 13th.

Wow! MFP and all of the AMAZING people here have been such a BLESSING in my life!! It was crazy how motivating seeing everything in black and white - calories in, and calories burned - right there in front of me... it was seriously like a "light bulb" moment in my life!

Things that I NEVER thought I'd say 6 weeks ago - 1. Eating healthy feels SO GOOD!! I love finding new recipes to feed my family that are GOOD for them! My husband has lost around 15 lbs, and 2 of my children who were maybe a tiny bit chunky (not really, just a tad) have all slimmed down - just from me shopping and cooking healthier! 2. Exercise feel SO GOOD! I love sweating - it lets me know I'm burning unwanted calories and fat! When I don't exercise, my body craves it.. even if it's just a good, brisk walk. 3. Fitting into a pair of capris (yesterday!) that I couldn't even get over my butt 6 weeks ago feels SO GOOD!! And I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin already. I didn't even know how uncomfortable I was before until I started improving myself!! Wow!

As of today I've lost 13.4 lbs. I started at 194 - and have hovered around that weight for YEARS! Today I weighed in at 180.6 - I'm so close to the 170's I can just TASTE it! I haven't been in the 170's in years - YEARS! And all it took was 6 weeks of sticking to it, and not giving up if I have a slip-up, to be staring the 170's in the face. It seems crazy that I've held myself back all these years, when all it took was a little determination and drive - and honestly, just a little bit of time - and here I am! I do have a long way to go - 120 is my goal... but the difference this time is, I KNOW I'll get there! I am so thankful to MFP and the wonderful people here for getting my life back on track! The success stores are so MOTIVATING at keeping my eye on the prize! When I get to my goal, I won't have to worry about dying before my time of a sudden heart attack like my daddy passed. I'll be here for my kids and my grandchildren, healthy and awesome, for a long time! That in itself makes it so worth it!!

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    can't wait for you to feel the rush when you hit the 170s. When I stepped on and it was 169.6 I about cried. We CAN do it. I'm just happy to have energy now and not want to take a nap directly off dropping the kids off at school lol
  • icujohnson
    Options
    so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!! you can do it!!!!!!!! and congrats.
  • naguilar210
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!!!
    It is truly amazing what little changes can bring!!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You are right - you are doing an amazing job and you CAN do this!!! congratulations on your progress. I think we must have joined at about the same timet, and have lost approximately the same number of pounds. I actually started at 197 in June before joining MFP in August and had reduced by nearly 20 lbs before joining. It does feel good to fit into the next smaller size in your closet - and when I think about the amount of time it took to put the pounds on and the amount of time it has taken to remove them, I think - "why on earth did you wait so long to do this?"

good luck with your journey.

Vickie
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Reading your post, I was absolutely bursting with pride for you! You sound like your overflowing with energy now, that you've found a new passion for life. And what a great role model you are for your family! Congratulations on everything you've achieved in the past 6 weeks, and I only see it getting better for you :smile:
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Good for you for sticking with it..... I agree, why did we wait so long to take care of ourselves?? lol this is an amazing feeling!!
    I too owe so much to MFP and the wonderful people here supporting me and encouraging me!!! I've never stuck with taking care of me ever this long. Today is 40 days on MFP!! I feel pretty proud!! 40 days and 15 lbs gone..... whooot whooot!!!
    So glad you are here and on this new journey too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • eureka1951
    eureka1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! You've inspired me to do better!! My DIL is having wonderful success here and I'm the one who recommended this site to her!!! When I see you gals being so successful I know I can do it too!!! Thanks for this post!!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I started at 240 and started walking everyday. It's been almost 5 months since I started walking, and lost 30 pounds along the way. I'm refusing to eat junk food (even if its for my fiancee or someone else thats just sitting in the apartment, it is tempting but i have a strong will) I am eating healthier now..(maybe not 100%, but for the majority I am) congrats on your weight loss!!
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You are right - you are doing an amazing job and you CAN do this!!! congratulations on your progress. I think we must have joined at about the same timet, and have lost approximately the same number of pounds. I actually started at 197 in June before joining MFP in August and had reduced by nearly 20 lbs before joining. It does feel good to fit into the next smaller size in your closet - and when I think about the amount of time it took to put the pounds on and the amount of time it has taken to remove them, I think - "why on earth did you wait so long to do this?"

good luck with your journey.

Vickie

Totally agree (as always) Vickie!!!! Having been a UK size 20/22 and now a 14/16....... I know that the clothing and the comments are a GREAT buzz, I can't wait to see a "1" as the first figure on the scales!!!! Definitely my next challenge!!!

Well done!!!!
  • superdre
    superdre Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! that's amazing to hear about you and your family's success story! This site is really helping me to lose weight and manage my meals as well! Can't wait til I hit the 10 lbs lost mark. Keep up the goood work!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    what an inspiring post!!!! thanks so much for sharing! I've been noticing too that, as a mom, my choices make a huge difference to my family. keep up the good work!!
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It is amazing when you feel good and your clothes feel good on you. Congrats and keep up the awesome work! :)
  • brewer_gal
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration I needed today!
  • ppennington
    Options
    Loved your post. You put into words exactly what I have been feeling. I've been on the site a little over six weeks myself and have lost 11 lbs but, more importantly, have been able to quit taking medication for high blood pressure, high blood sugar and cholesterol. That felt almost as good as throwing away my size 14s and sliding into 10s. Like you, I don't THINK I can do it, I KNOW I can.

Way to share your feelings and inspire others.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Awww, that made me cry :sad: It's amazing how personal success can affect us. I'm a bit like you. I wasn't really depressed about my weight when I started. You just kinda roll with it, dont you? In a daze of denial and acceptance. But when you actually start eating right and exercising, its not just the weight you lose, its the mental burden lurking in the depths of your mind that you lose too. It's definitely a psychological boost as well as a physiological one! :bigsmile:

I'm not saying that being slim is the answer to all our problems, but eating right and exercising goes a long way to improve our well-being :drinker:

Thanks for sharing your story :flowerforyou:
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that... it is great to see all of your progress. You are doing such an awesome job, and you are really sticking with it, and I'm so proud of you for what you are doing for yourself and your family. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to eat healthier was to set a good example for my kids. I enjoy logging on every day to see how well you are doing, and I can't wait to see you hit ALL of your goals!! You are rocking it girl, keep it up!!! Oh, and that feeling of fitting into clothes you couldn't fit into before is priceless... that's even better than seeing the numbers on the scale drop!!!
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That's great news! Keep it up!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on your weight loss so far. It is amazing the changes you have made not only for yourself but your family in such a short amount of time. No wonder you feel good about yourself. Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    sorry double post
  • lyndsloo
    Options
    FANTASTIC! I loved reading this post. Wonderful work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!