Clothing sizes - how annoying?

Options
BigGail
BigGail Posts: 465 Member
My friend has recently lost a lot of weight, she has gone from a UK size 16-18 to about a 10-12.

Anyhow, she said the other day " I hope you don't think I'm being cheeky, but I have loads of clothes in a 16-18, and I know you are losing weight and wondered if you would like them - some have never been worn"

I was chuffed to bits as I am toning up and my current clothes are getting a bit baggy, but am a bit strapped for cash and can't really afford to go and buy loads of different clothes.

Got the bag from her the other day and tried all the clothes on today.

How frustrating, most of the size 16 jeans are too small, but some nearly do up while one pair won't even go over my a*se!
Two size 18 tops fit nicely, while the others go nowhere near me!
There's a size 16 dress in there too, which isn't really my own personal style, but fits perfectly.

What's going on? What size exactly am I?

Answers on a postcard please!

Replies

• knh1123
    Options
    Clothing sizes can be very annoying!! It sounds like you're in the same boat I am.. no size is perfect! It honestly depends on the brand of the clothing. All manufacturers make their clothes differently. I can range from a 12-16. Its insane, and makes shopping impossible.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm not what sure "answers on a postcard means" but clothiers don't have a standard size. Currently, in my closet, in the same brand mind you, I have US sizes 10petite to 12 regular and a 14. Kind of like the scale, ignore the size label and go with what looks good on you.
  • katschy
    Options
    Alas, clothing sizes vary so much by manufacturer that it's hard to tell what might fit and what might not. Here, I'm a size 14 at one store, 16 at another, 18 at most, and 22 in some of the boutique-type stores. That's aside from the "L-XL-XXL" type of sizing, which also varies widely.

So, while it's no help to hear, you can't really say you're one specific size; you have to try everything on. On the other hand, now you've got a few new things, and you'll have some more as you continue to lose :)
  • scarlettbleu
    Options
    Ditto! I find that I can wear anything from a 14 to a 10 (USA)! It just depends on where I get it. Oh and I swear sizes are getting smaller as I've gotten older. I have a pair of size 6 jeans that are my "goal jeans" but I've had them for years, they're probably considered a at least an 8 nowadays. I got a t-shirt a couple of months ago and it fits perfectly (a bit snug but not too snug) and the label says it's an XL, I've put it on top of medium tees and it's smaller!! As Lucy would say... BLEGH!
  • amj56
    amj56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Any more I go by what fits and looks nice. I am also changing sizes as I lose and found that shopping on the clearance racks saves money and you get something new. Also if you have second hand stores you can get some bargains. I have been shopping in my closet alot since I have variety of sizes. But getting down to the end.

I will say as I am losing I sure like to shop alot more than I did before. Even my feet have gotten smaller.

Happy Shopping!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not what sure "answers on a postcard means" but clothiers don't have a standard size. Currently, in my closet, in the same brand mind you, I have US sizes 10petite to 12 regular and a 14. Kind of like the scale, ignore the size label and go with what looks good on you.

Ha ha "answers on a postcard please" is from Blue Peter (British TV prog and institution) where every week there was a competition where you had to send your answers on a postcard to the same address :happy:
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Now quote Dr. Who or Monty Python and I'll get it! :bigsmile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    clothing sizes vary from what they used to be. Simply they either run true to size, or are actually made bigger for some give. Best way to shop for clothes especially jeans is to go by your actual measurements because you can't go wrong and you will know what size you really are.

Clothing manufacturers started flubbing the sizing chart to make people feel better about themselves by making them a bit bigger and slapping a certain size on it. A lot of the expensive brands are true to fit thats why some people can buy a pair of jeans that are a 14 and fit perfectly and go to another brand and get a pair in a size 12 when they are really a 14.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Hey, I know. American sizes are the same way, depends on the brand and how/what its made. I normally wear american 7-9 or Medium, but in some 'popular' stores I wear size 11/large... can be so discouraging. I love shopping at Gap outlet cause I wear a 4-6 there, but its the only place.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I totally thought when you said "answers on a post card" you were asking people to keep their answers short and sweet as in they could fit on a post card, ie. not to make their answers really long multi-page essays...hehe...

Anyway women's clothing sizes are ridiculous, no two stores are the same, which means whenever I go shopping I usually have to bring in 3 different sizes into the change room, I don't even bother trying to figure out where I fall unless it's a store I shop at regularly,,then I learn their sizing and know what size should fit me. I'd suggest just focusing on how the clothes fit and look, because no one sees the size, they only see what it looks like on you. This of course doesn't help if you're trying to shop online...I've never bought any clothing online for that reason, I don't know how people manage to but stuff online that fits properly.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When you buy online there are usually size charts that show you what they consider to be whatever size. Waist xx" hips xx" and so on. I am so excited for the day I can finally buy some smaller sizes!