Shopping dilemma o_o

Options
PrinnyMartel
PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
So my birthday is tomorrow, and I've pretty much been told that I'm going to get a gift card to Lane Bryant. Now, I would love to go and use this now as I just had one of two surgeries on my hip, and I could really use some looser, more comfy bottoms that aren't riddled with holes or stains.

On the other hand, I really wanted to wait until I at least hit my 200 goal to start buying new clothes. The only problem is, I probably won't be able to start really working out again until January. So I have no clue when I will be able to reach that goal. I'm also worried that once I do pass that goal, anything from Lane Bryant is not going to fit me for too long (I'm pretty close to their smallest size now at 240. I'm kinda tall).

Would you go ahead and spend the card now, or save it as a reward for later? I'm sorry if I worded this whole thing terribly; I'm on day 4 of my recovery and just sitting here typing this is making me a little dizzy. I'm going to go lie down and check up on this later. ^.^

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would just use it now
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    why not just get a pair or two? Try to do it during a sales so you dont have to spend as much, and then later on you could get what you really want. Is there an expiration to the card?

PS if you are a small 18 now or a large 16 I'd go ahead and spend it otherwise wait.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Go and buy your new clothes NOW!

You got to love yourself and enjoy your life :) If the amount. Of the card is big enough you can spend a part of it the rest will help you to buy new clothes when you reach your goal.

And happy birthday :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I would buy 1-2 pairs so you have something nice to wear for now, and then save the rest for when you hit your goal.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would use it now too and then consign it when you shrink out. It won't be long and the clothes will still look pretty new. You could also use the gift towards new underwear, it might last you longer. You can have your clothes altered as you shrink too, alterations will cost less than buying new clothes at Lane Bryant. I had a nice pant suit I bought there altered recently because there was no way I'm forking out a few hundred dollars for a new one just because I went down a size.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    use it now but buy the smallest stuff they have ...goal stuff don't buy your current size it will be a waste LB is pricey
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I would use it now. And if you do shrink out of them later, you can always donate them and know that they are going to a good home.

You are losing weight - have fun and enjoy it!

I probably bought hundreds of dollars worth of clothes during my loss that I can't wear now - I HAD to, as I would have had to go naked otherwise. There's no way I was going to be able to wear a size 18 when I was a size 12, and there was no way I could come close to wearing a 12 when I was a six.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to go and treat yourself to new clothes NOW. It is inexpensive to have clothes altered if you need to do so at some later point in time. I will buy myself quality used clothing in larger sizes and then alter them to fit me. It works great!

Happy Early Birthday to you!:drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Save the card for later, and hit your local Goodwill for interim clothes. They have lower prices and higher quality than Salvation Army, at least in my area. Recently I bought a fabulous black suede trench coat, gorgeous, looks as though it hung in a closet and was never worn--it certainly has no wear signs whatsoever-- for $ 5.49, and a hooded cardigan, forest green tape yarn ( ribbon yarn) with openwork crochet cuffs and hem, still with the original store tag on it, it had been $ 210.00 new (!!) and I paid $ 5.49. I get leather jackets and coats, and belts ( 99 cents for belts) there to recycle the leather.
  • PrinnyMartel
    Options
    Okay, I think I'll check out both LB and Goodwill as soon as I am able. Thanks, guys. :3
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I woulnd't wait. After 40 lbs loss you could very well be in 2-4 sizes smaller and out of anything that you would fit in at Lane Bryant.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I agree with using the card now, especially since you're close to becoming an ex-customer (congrats on that btw).
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!

Go get some comfy pants!

Though if I got a Lane Bryant gift card I'd be buying bras :laugh:
  • l00nylovegood
    l00nylovegood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say to sift through the clearance section for some temporary pants if you think you're about to switch sizes soon & save half the card for when you go a size down. But in the end, if you don't find anything, just treat yourself! ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY!
  • jeanettejeanette14
    Options
    Happy B-Day !!! I would use half now and half later, that way you treated yourself for your B-Day and still have something to look forward to. If when you go back you don't find anything that fits properly you can always get shoes or accessories.
  • PrinnyMartel
    Options
    Happy birthday!!

Go get some comfy pants!

Though if I got a Lane Bryant gift card I'd be buying bras :laugh:
    Haha, yeah. Cacique bras are the most comfortable ones I've found so far. So there's always that.