How quickly habits form!

Options
Last night I went into Manhattan to meet up with my college roommate and her mom who were here for her mom to go to a conference. Obviously we're not going to eat at a place where they can eat in Georgia, so I didn't have the advantage of nutritional information being easily found. I'd looked at the menu of the place where we were going and planned out a few options depending on what my mood was.

Thanks to my run, I'd earned a lot more calories, and I'd been really cautious and aware during the day, so I had around 1000 to "spend" at dinner. I ended up getting the chilli - with the cheese on the side so I could determine how much to put on - and a small side of fries (about the equivalent of a large at Wendy's).

I got about 2/3 of the way through the chilli and ate about 5 fries and was STUFFED - and also really felt like I was portioning things better and eating slower!!! Kind of amazing to me how quickly some habits - like eating it all because you're paying for it or whatever - can go away when you get in the habit of counting the calories!

Replies

• Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Good for you to work it into your cals & to notice *how* we got to "overweight" to begin with. Also good for you to listen to your body & stop eating when you were full.
  • JensLogin
    Options
    This is awesome, congratulations! Most of the battle to losing weight is what goes on in our heads. You are obviously learning to master how you think about food and how much you actually "need" to fuel your body. Way to go - keep up the great work!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Not sure about American beef chili, but I know the kind of chili we make up here that is CHOCK full of legumes and veg is always a really good, hearty and healthy option when you're not sure what to get :) It's got loads of fibre and is usually low in fat, unless the meat that is used is not lean or extra lean. Chili is a great fall/winter meal! Great choice, Beth :)
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    I love this! It is amazing to me how quickly new healthy habits kick the tails of our old nasty ones. Good going!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all!! :) Hopefully I can do as well tonight - I'm thinking I may opt for an egg-white omlet. Going to another diner with another friend. LOL.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Get a regular omelet and skip on the cheese! The omega 3s are good for you :P A 2 egg veggie omelet won't break the bank. That's my go-to when I go out for breakfast these days. If they only serve 3 egg omelets, eat 2/3 of it and count it as two. Works out to about 250 cals + whatever oil they use to cook it in. Adding a meat item or cheese on top of that is up to you. Sub a salad or fresh tomato slices for the homefries and you've got a relatively healthy meal! Good luck, lady!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meag!

I ended up getting a salad that was WONDERFUL! Grilled skinless chicken breast and chickpeas on baby spinach with a feta vinegarette dressing that they put on the side so I spooned out the smallest bit I could and NO lumps of feta. YUMMY!!!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Thanks Meag!

I ended up getting a salad that was WONDERFUL! Grilled skinless chicken breast and chickpeas on baby spinach with a feta vinegarette dressing that they put on the side so I spooned out the smallest bit I could and NO lumps of feta. YUMMY!!!!!

Great pick, Beth!! Mmmm chick peas are so divine! I love them in everything and they are a great source of fiber and protein and healthy carbs :D Spinach salad is a staple in my house, with some sliced strawberries and a segmented orange + red onion, cucumber, and some toasted almonds. We also make our own vinaigrette. Can you tell how much I like to eat? hahah! This is the reason I jog!!
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I am also getting into those "good" habits. We are planning a trip to Red Lobster for dinner with friends tonight. They have all you can eat shrimp going on. My husband and I went through the database and looked at the menu. We have written down what we are having according to the calories we can "spend". MFP has really helped me become aware at how much I was eating that my body didn't need.

Keep up the good work.
  • ivleafklover
    ivleafklover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your post was very uplifting. I love your positive attitude :)

It also gave me some ideas on how I could make it work too.

But I just wanted to say that reading your post was awesome & congrats :)
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Though not set in stone, many sources you come across will say it takes 21 days to form a habit.
    SO, that means, that after what was undoubtedly a very hard first month, you started to not even see thing changes as changes.
    Therefore, you were able to go out and make wiser choices and still enjoy yourself.

It is the hardest thing for a humun to do - change their habits; especially those we LOVE. If we don't feel or see an immediate negative to it, we resist.
    However, once you MAKE that change and live with it...you then look back and can't be believe you didn't do it sooner.

You should be proud of yourself. Hopefully your friends see your positive changes and are proud of you too, and possibly, even inspired.
    Congratulations.