fast food help!

Options
I am making a 2800 mile car drive next week and we will be eating a lot of fast food. I need help as to what to order so I can try to stay within my calorie goals but not be starving either. I will bring my gnc lean shakes for breakfast and healthy snacks but was wondering if you guys could help with ideas on what to order. We will be using subway ( thats easy) but Mcdonalds, Burger King, and Wendys are the 3 top places my traveling companions will be stopping. Uggg. HELP, I am afraid I will lose all self control and need to preplan on a few things that are "safer" to order. Thanks all!

Replies

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think all those places (the USA versions anyway) have grilled chicken sandwiches at least.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just do a google search for their nutritional facts and write down a handful of 500 calorie or less (or whatever your goal per meal) meals from each place.
  • mowrykatie
    mowrykatie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bring a cooler full of healthy foods.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Salads are normally offered at all of these restaurants but if you get tired of salads kids meals are great options with smaller portions and less calories compared to adult options. Keep in mind smaller portions may not fill you so have plenty of water and healthy snacks on hand as well. Good luck!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wendy's HALF Baja Salad isn't too bad calorie wise. Skip the dressing and chips.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Will there be starbucks? By me, at least, they now have healthier menu options. That would be my first pick.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    What I've done (you have to plan ahead) is pull apart a chicken sandwhich and place the chicken and veggies from one into a whole sandwhich. Then, I've increased the protein I'm intaking, decreasing carbs and feeling fuller. You are making a healthier decision and not having to eat all those fries to get fuller!

Just plan ahead, look at the nutrition facts, consider removing mayo/sauces from a burger.... ordering apple slices/yogurt on the side or packing an extra meal from subway. Subway has tasty big salads.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds grilled mighty cesar salad with light dressing, although i indulge in the crispy chicken for 100 calories more.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken salad at Wendy's is the best.
    Grilled chicken wraps at mcdonalds are low cal and taste heavenly.
    Grilled chicken will or better be your best friend ;).
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    In addition to the "what to eat" responses, try not to neglect the "when to eat." It's best to eat/snack at regular intervals instead of when you feel hungry. We usually make food mistakes when our blood sugar level has dipped and when we are hungry.

Have a safe and "on plan" trip!
  • Vee7889
    Vee7889 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bring a cooler!!! I just did a 2000 kmcar trip one way & packed a cooler... Turkey meat balls.. Mustard.. Homemade oatmeal muffins.. Rice cakes.. Preportioned rice cake minis for snacking & also sweet potato wheat thins ( yuuuummy) with individual cheeses... Pack your fav things so you don't feel like your missing out on anything when they are fast fooding it.. Make subway your fast food meal :) another bonus is that if you have your cooler... you get to also stay on track with your regular eating habits ( like time to eat ) good luck :)
  • ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In addition to the "what to eat" responses, try not to neglect the "when to eat." It's best to eat/snack at regular intervals instead of when you feel hungry. We usually make food mistakes when our blood sugar level has dipped and when we are hungry.

Have a safe and "on plan" trip!
    This is so true! Don't wait too long to eat!

Order a grilled chicken sandwich and toss the bun! That's my best piece of advice:)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "bring a cooler" idea. I drove the US and back over the summer and I did not eat any fast food. I got a cooler that plugs into the accessory outlet and I was good to go. String cheese, yogurt, tuna salad, pulled pork, fresh pineapple.