How much did you lose in week 1?

Options
infinitelychocolate
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've been on 1200 calories a day for the past 4 days. I've heard different stories about how much you can expect to lose in the first week. I'm worried that I will get on the scales and see no change! I'm doing well so far. Doing at least half an hour cardio each day and not skipping meals. I work nights too which I'm worried will slow my metabolism. So, how much did you lose in week one? Did you feel like you lost anything at all?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Nothing til week 4. It happens like that sometimes.
  • MissStacy322
    MissStacy322 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just finished week one and lost 4 lbs. I'd say I went over my 1250 calorie target probably half the week, but always under 2000. I was eating way more than that before i started this, so thats probably why I still lost. I also did as much cardio as I could and logged every bite. Even if the scale hasn't moved, its worth it because I feel SO much better in just a week! If you do feel like the scale isn't moving, just stay with it and look for other indicators. It'll happen for you!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds in the first week, but it was all water weight.
  • MochaFox91
    MochaFox91 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My first week when I first start I lost 4 pounds. However I just restarted a week ago and lost 5 pounds.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it will depend on where you are starting from -- the more you have to lose the greater your first week loss may be. Also if you have very poor eating habits and you change them around it may be more drastic.

When I was younger it was common for me to lose close to 10 pounds in the first week.

Now I don't think I lost more than 4 pounds the first week --but I had nearly 100 pounds to lose. I have averaged around 2 pounds a week since then.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    -6lbs. Approx 45lbs over weight at time.

That was by alternate day fasting with net 500 on fast days and net 2000-2200approx on feast days. Many people also get good results with 5:2 diet which you fast only two days out of the week.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had to go back and look for you. I lost 2.5 lbs the first week. Over 2 months it has averaged 1.7 per week though. Also at 1200 calories net (except vacation days). ;-)
  • sms316
    sms316 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 kilos in the first week (the week just gone). It would have been more like 4 if I didn't have a few drinks on the weekend (wasn't the best week for me to start but at least I kept disciplined Mon-Fri).
  • infinitelychocolate
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is the first time I've tried dieting since I had my son a year ago. I've been doing so well so far and but I'm absolutely dreading seeing 0 change! I'm a bit of a pessimist but I'm hoping that will change when I see a change!

I'm currently 190lb. Planning to lose 50lbs. The thing is, I weigh more than I look like I weigh. Another thing that's giving me doubts!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Didn't lose anything the first week.

Hang in there. If you are eating less and better, you will see a drop. Everyone loses at different rates. :)
  • kampshm
    kampshm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs the first week I started. Everyone loses differently though. For me, I tend to stay the same weight for several days up to over a week, then I suddenly lose 2 lbs. Who knows why. Lol

Just keep at it and that scales bound to move eventually!!
  • Emmienz
    Emmienz Posts: 29
    Options
    im eatting 1200 as well i net around 1200-1300 everyday with maybe a treat day one the weekend where i hit more like 1400-1500 .. the 1st week i lost 3kgs (6lbs i think) but i think its different for everyone no two bodys are the same :) just keep up the good work and it will come off :)
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started June this year and lost Eight KILOGRAMS!! Then settled down to normal amounts of loss.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my Ki Fit (Bodymedia) until my fifth week so although I probably had a bigger deficit than I intended during my first 4 weeks most of that loss was water weight (and I gained 1.25 lb between the end of week 4 and the end of week 5).

First week I lost 7.75 lb.

Week 2 was 1.25 lb, Week 3 was 5.5 lb, and Week 4 was 7.25 lb.
    Starting weight was 276 lb.
    Goal loss was 2.5-3 lb week 1, and 2.25-2.75 lb weeks 2-5.
    Day 1 was 3rd November 2012, started using MFP a few days later (my diary is open - my diet changes were both fast and gradual; fast in that previously I mostly consumed fast food and thus had a lot of water weight, gradual in that my first day logging consisted of two egg and salad cream sandwiches and 2 litres of Coca-Cola).

If I didn't have a lot of water weight when I started? In the last 38 weeks I have lost less weight than my goal range or gained weight 15 of those weeks (39.5% of weeks). So depending on what your previous diet was like, it might take a few weeks for you to notice a pattern. And as you are female, TOM may also make your weigh-ins more variable on top of dietary and exercise changes.
  • albdusty
    albdusty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    4,5 kg = 9 lbs. :) shocked my body.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh for the first few weeks because I started over the summer when I was at my parents place for xmas. I lost 6 kg in the first month, but not sure at what rate.
This discussion has been closed.