Frustrated and discouraged :/

Options
Help me! I have been at the diet and exercise for almost a month and ive only lost 5lbs. I am a 26yoa female, 5'2, eating 1200cals a day, excercising at least 3 days a week. Ive lost a large amount of weight before but they were with fad diets. Am I just destined to be heavy? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a good consistent loss
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    This is me, i just can't lose a decent amount on 1200cals. Sorry i have no advice, just know how you feel.
  • mosey1951
    mosey1951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a good healthy loss! Don't get despondent, if you weren't doing this you would probably have gained weight. Try adding a short walk to the days you don't exercise. Good luck, stick with it!
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I'm not sure what the issue is. If you were expecting to be down 12 pounds in a week then sorry, that's not realistic and you'll likely end up gaining the weight back! You said it yourself that the fad diets caused you to lose a lot of weight. But here you are, starting from scratch (or even heavier than before the fad diets), so how good were they to begin with?

1 lbs a week is the recommended weight loss for long-term results. Don't look at it as 'just' 5 pounds, you ALREADY lost 5 pounds on your journey! That just means you can look forward to having lost 10lbs total next month, and 15lbs the month after that. Isn't that good enough?
  • ziggiezambi
    Options
    Sounds like a great loss! 1lb a week be proud of that. :)
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 1lb a week?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Help me! I have been at the diet and exercise for almost a month and ive only lost 5lbs. I am a 26yoa female, 5'2, eating 1200cals a day, excercising at least 3 days a week. Ive lost a large amount of weight before but they were with fad diets. Am I just destined to be heavy? Any and all advice is appreciated.

5lbs per week is a healthy loss, there is no "only" about it.

Just continue what you are doing and in another month you will be 5lbs even lighter than now. However, if you resign yourself to the fact that you must be destined to be heavy and decide to give up, in one month's time, you will be either the same weight as now or, start putting weight back on.

Continue, you are doing just fine x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

5lbs per week is a healthy loss, there is no "only" about it.

Just continue what you are doing and in another month you will be 5lbs even lighter than now. However, if you resign yourself to the fact that you must be destined to be heavy and decide to give up, in one month's time, you will be either the same weight as now or, start putting weight back on.

Continue, you are doing just fine x

this!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was originally on 3lbs a week and in the past 2 weeks I have also lost 1lb a week on the 1200 diet.

Sure at first I was upset and frustrated but look at it this way, with only 9lbs left to go I'll be at my goal weight by October!! Not too bad considering I've spent at least 4 years being really unhappy about being overweight. 4 months out of a year losing weight certainly beats another 4 years being overweight!!
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    What are you to believe when fad diets and false claims are flying at you. Eating a few hours before bed, the reasoning has nothing to do with weight gain.

When the topic of low-carb turns up, they tend to dismiss it, call it a “fad” diet.
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'd love to be able to lose 1lb a week. My weight loss is moving at a snails pace.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would KILL for 1lb a week...... I can go months and not loose and oz!
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'd love to be able to lose 1lb a week. My weight loss is moving at a snails pace.

here.. here!!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you keep losing at 1 pound a week, you will get there. If you lose at 0.5 a week, you will get there. Let go of the idea of dieting for a quick fix. If 1200 calories is going to feel too restrictive to stick with over the next year or two (for me it would be), I would look into TDEE-20% as an alternative. I did something a little different and went ahead and set my calorie goal as my TDEE at my *goal* weight--this has been really good for learning how I need to eat long term.
  • jmanderson911
    jmanderson911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you that replied! I appreciate you taking the time to leave your advice and words of encouragement. I know I am doing the right things and going in the right direction, it just gets overwhelming sometimes.
    You guys are all doing amazing as well!

Jen