diet pills and vitamins

Options
What's the deal? Do I, Don't I?

I know lots of people who take them and I hear mixed reviews some people have like a cocktail of pills they take each day. I don't know if they help or not.

What experiences have you guys had?

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Vitamins good, diet pills bad
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Vitamins are good.....Diet pills take if you do not like being healthy:)
  • rbcloftus
    Options
    What vitamins? I'm clueless haha
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What's the deal? Do I, Don't I?

I know lots of people who take them and I hear mixed reviews some people have like a cocktail of pills they take each day. I don't know if they help or not.

What experiences have you guys had?

Years ago, I took pills to speed up my metabolism, they were bought over the counter in the chemist shop. I immediately ceased taking them when during an aerobics class my heartrate rose to a maximum 224 bpm, it was just not worth the risk.

Regarding vitamin pills, I don't take those either, but that is through my own choice not because I consider them a threat to my health in any way.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    What vitamins? I'm clueless haha

Assuming you have no health problems that you need to focus on just take a good multivitamin. Omega 3 supplements are also helpful but not really needed unless you have cholesterol problems.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are a no-go from me - I hear not so great reviews as in they don't actually work or make the person sick...
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    From experience:
    -Don't take vitamin supplements unless you have a deficiency. You'll be peeing stones before you know it.
    -Don't take diet pills unless you want nothing to happen and you enjoy feeling like garbage

For the aspiring lifters:
    -Stay away from protein shakes until you're already in decent shape so you can metabolize the high calories and process the high protein properly (as extra protein turns into fat, like anything else). Usually what you eat is enough, so the shakes are just extra bloat.

The reality:
    -There are no replacements to proper nutrition and exercise. No magic pill will get you there.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    From experience:
    -Don't take vitamin supplements unless you have a deficiency. You'll be peeing stones before you know it.
    -Don't take diet pills unless you want nothing to happen and you enjoy feeling like garbage

For the aspiring lifters:
    -Stay away from protein shakes until you're already in decent shape so you can metabolize the high calories and process the high protein properly (as extra protein turns into fat, like anything else). Usually what you eat is enough, so the shakes are just extra bloat.

The reality:
    -There are no replacements to proper nutrition and exercise. No magic pill will get you there.

- Drink water to avoid stones
    - Protein only turns to fat if you eat at a surplus. Protein shakes are good for anyone.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not need diet pills.

As for vitamins, I know it sounds dramatic but I would really recommend speaking to your doctor or a pharmacist before you go buying packets of pills. There are some vitamins that are better taken with others to increase their effectiveness. With some, it is just as dangerous to have too much than it is too little. Like iron, for example, especially with women. Your doctor can tell you what is best.

Also, you would be surprised at what you can get from a healthy, varied and balanced diet. Vitamins can work out to be expensive; no point in spending the money if you are getting what you need from food.
  • tallmansix
    Options
    In my opinion, vitamins should be obtained from your food first and foremost. Many diets however cannot cover all essential vitamins and minerals, and some non vitamin supplements like Omega 3 can be tricky to obtain.

I have specific reasons to take the vits I take. I have smoked heavily and drunk too much alcohol over the years and I fear I deplete certain vits. I also don't seem much daylight during the winter, so I stock up on Vit D. Finally I have a known genetic problem in the family that affects my joints, so I take supplements for them.

Do you have any cause for concern in terms of health or lack of things in your diet? Check with a doc first though.