Stretching with bad knees

Options
I'm doing C25K and need to find some really good calf stretches. My problem is all the ones I have found involve more of a lunge type knee movement. That is the one movement I can't do with my bad knees. Those kind of stretches cause me more knee pain than the good they do with stretching. Has anyone found any calf stretching exercises that don't involve bending and putting pressure on the knee?

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Get a Pilates DVD or book. These stretches are gentle on the joints and also strengthen and tone muscles. Love Pilates!
  • blbond82
    Options
    My experience with Pilates is there's a lot of stuff done on your knees or on the floor. The arthritis in my knees prohibits me from kneeling on them and makes getting up off the floor very difficult. Are there Pilates stretches that are done standing?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    My experience with Pilates is there's a lot of stuff done on your knees or on the floor. The arthritis in my knees prohibits me from kneeling on them and makes getting up off the floor very difficult. Are there Pilates stretches that are done standing?
    I'm not sure.. But my calves are getting very tight so I must not be stretching them well enough, I was going to Google and see what I found. I don't do lunges, my knees don't like them either:noway:
  • blbond82
    Options
    That's exactly the problem I'm starting to have during my runs....my calves are getting so tight I have to switch to walking.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A good calf stretch without lunging is find a step or kerb. Stand on the step with both feet flat. Then move one foot so that the toes are on the edge of the step, and drop the heel towards the floor. You will feel the stretch in the achilles as well as the calf, careful to not overstretch though.

Hope this helps. Its always important to stretch after exercise as the muscle tightening feeling is the muscles shortening and they need to be elongated again.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Give this a try. The only "extra" you'll need is a bath or beach towel.

Sit on the floor and extend your legs out in front of you with your toes pointed towards the ceiling -- if you need to bend your knees a bit to be comfortable, do so. Roll the towel into a long tube and loop around the ball of your foot. Hold either end of the towel with your hands. Pull gently back on the towel till you can feel the stretch in your calf. Repeat with the other foot and/or do both at the same time.

You can also do this while seated at the edge of a chair with your leg stretched out in front of you.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thank you both very much for the tips!!:drinker: :wink:
  • patlechuga
    Options
    have you tried water aerobics? Low impact but you do get a good workout. You gain greater range of motion, lowers your blood pressure, and an all over good workout.
  • blbond82
    Options
    Wish I could do water aerobics but I don't have access to a pool...or gym.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Might try some web sites such as Runners World. They have various suggestions. One could be to decrease your speed, miles, or hill work to allow your joints to rest. Icing knees. Fill a bath tub with warm water and stretch your calves by touching your toes, maybe? Later in the day or the next day during your rest time, just take a long walk. This can also release contractions in your knees if that is the case.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    have you tried water aerobics? Low impact but you do get a good workout. You gain greater range of motion, lowers your blood pressure, and an all over good workout.
    I agree, the best ever!
  • tater8589
    Options
    You can put your foot against a wall and lean towards it. My knees, I don't think, are as bad as yours, but I can do that. Also one thing my dr has told me, pain is ok, unless its stabbing.. others can be worked through. My thoughts are "ha, yeah.. cause I wanna hurt" but take that as you wish. Good luck.

Oh, also.. if your calves are cramping (or any cramp) drink some pickle juice... it'll stop cramps. And after your workout get some gatoraid or poweraid.. you need to replace more than just water. Not having enough electrolites, potassium, and water can cause cramping/ muscle tightness. And you might consider your shoes, if you don't have proper support it could cause issues too.