Buying New clothes

Options
I have decided to make my 20lb goal a new pair of jeans. I am thinking by then I will be in a lower size anyway since I have been in between sizes for a while. My question is do you buy cheaper clothes now that you are trying to lose weight? Or do you just wear your clothes baggy until you can't wear them anymore? Just curious what others do. It is getting cold again here in Illinois so I need to buy some winter clothes anyway.

Replies

• bellanean
    Options
    i was holding up my pants with hair ties, thats how baggy they were, I finally splurged for 3 pair of work pants that actaully fit.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What I do is buy what fits me now. As I've lost weight I take my favorite pieces to a seamstress. She works out of her house and only charges me $8 to take in a pair of pants. I will have my pants taken in until I can go to the next size down.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I used to buy tons of new clothes but they have added up to being too costly!!!

So now, I just settle to wear them baggy until they look too awful!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I used to buy tons of new clothes but they have added up to being too costly!!!

So now, I just settle to wear them baggy until they look too awful!

This is what I do as well... I wait until someone tells me how ridiculous I look (typically my mother) wearing clothes that are falling off. Then I splurge for a few new items. I only buy just barely enough to get through the week and do lots of laundry, because I know that in a month or two they will be too big anyway. You get tired of wearing the same things but it's not worth buying a new wardrobe for a transition weight, IMO.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    umm yah I echo everyone else's sentiments. Wearing my clothes until they look too ridiculous to keep wearing. Apparently loosing weight is expensive.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I go to places like ROSS, TJMaxx, Marshalls or hit the JC Penny's clearance: I won't pay more than $10 for 1 item. With the way my clothes were looking, I had to get some new things, though I also made sure that the shirts I bought I would still be able to wear when I get even smaller :happy:
    In the last few months I think I've spent about $200 total to update my wardrobe, and while that seems like a lot, keep in mind that the $5 or $10 each week or so I used to spend buying junk food, I no longer get so that money goes to a new pair of slack or shirt :happy: Instead of a calorie-rich treat, I get myself a "hey I'm lookin' good!" treat :wink:
  • dtcauley4
    dtcauley4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I put 2 darts in the back of my jeans to take them in. From the waistband to behind the pockets. Gives me a few more lbs. to wear them. :tongue:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    In order to stay motivated, I bought some new clothes that fit all along my loss (always on sale. I love the compliments as people really notice how much weight has been dropped, cause if you keep wearing baggy clothes, it just isn't as obvious. Plus it made me feel better about what was occurring! You can find some great buys at thrift stores as a means to save. I certainly didn't buy top price items along the way, as I have dropped from a 14 to an 8 or 6 and there were too many stages in between!
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I volunteer at Hospice, so I hit up their thrift store every now and then and pick up some jeans there. I have gone from a tight 18, to a comfortable 16. Just an hour ago I was pulling all my clothes that are too big out of my closet, if anyone is in need of size 18 and wants to pay shipping just let me know and I'll be happy to send them off to you.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i'm cheep, so while i am going down several sizes, i borrow from my friends. (thankfully i work from home and live a casual lifestyle, so this helps) there are about 5 of us that are losing together...we pass to the next person when we no longer need/can keep our clothes on.
    this summer i did buy some new items..but most of those were on sale for about $5-$10 each.
    GoodWill is a GREAT place to get doing down items. or consignment shops.
  • momhome3
    Options
    Well I know I am there too! Some of my clothes I wear just at home are so big. But there are still some that are ok to wear out. I just mean like so so.
    Maybe I think I have a hard time buying new clothes too is I wonder if will I stay in them. Though my life has changed it's a little hill I must climb and conquer.
    Hymm, another thing I dealt with this week is that they are clearencing shorts now for cheap. All is left are smalls. The rate I am loosing I could be in them; but I haven't wore a small in 20 years. So I didn't buy them; I HOPE I REGRET THAT.
    :)
    Daneille
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I say if you can afford it to buy a few new ones... It will make you feel better to have clothes that fit you and to know you are losing in order to buy...It dont have to be a lot of new ones just a couple outfits for when you are going out. Are to work are whereever you go..

If you are still losing I wouldnt buy to many new outfits but a couple will boast your moral.... Its ok to wear the baggy ones also till you reach your goal. Then you can really splurge and get some new outfits to compliment your new self.... And then get rid of all the baggy stuff....
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing just fine until I saw a photograph of myself from behind in my jeans and they looked terrible! I was lucky enough to find that I can now wear my daughters old stuff though, but I am going to need to get some new winter clothes and things for work. Am holding out as long as I can x
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Several good tips on here that I agree with. Find a good seamstress for your expensive pants and skirts-have them taken in while you are still losing. Hit consignment shops and thrift stores for clothes that fit. You don't want to spend a ton of money on transitional sizes but cheap clothes often don't fit as well and they tend to come in bigger sizes which is depressing!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I bought new clothes along the way, and wish i hadn't spent as much on them b/c I grew out of them much quicker than I expected to. One thing I did do, which I recommend, is selling old clothes on ebay. I made several hundred dollars selling clothes that were in good condition and too big. It felt great getting rid of them, and made some cash for new, smaller clothes.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Consignment and thrift stores are definitely the way to go. Check out several consignment stores until you find one that carries your style. I have 2 great ones in my area and a couple of others I get lucky at every now and then. I even found a new winter coat at a thrift store for $8.00 and I love it.