help..i dont want to look unporportioned

Options
Hi.i am 5'7 and currently weigh 175 i have lost 71 lbs so far. My worry is this: i still have alot of fat in my midsection but almost none below the elbow and above the chest. I know fat loss comes from all over and not a target spot...soooo...does this mean that by the time i have a flat nice belly that these other area will look like. Skeleton?

Replies

• mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My experience is that the belly fat is just the hardest to lose. I know that I do not have to worry about looking like a skeleton :) Good luck!
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, everything just seems to rush to my abdomen! Just keep it up, it will go eventually if you continute to eat at a defict and work out. Maybe add some strength training to burn more fat when you are inactive and add some shape to your arms and legs?
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is always disproportionate. It is always taken from the face and extremities first and then from the midsection last. Typically guys lose their gut last and gals lose their hips last. I am sure it was some genius survival adaptation we picked up as humans along the way to help us survive running away from animals that wanted to eat us. Best thing is to take the long view. Lose fat, tone and eventually it will get to the spots you want to lose. You can go a long way fast by toning but spot toning will never remove the fat from that area first.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Actually my wrists do look quite small but certainly not skeletal like, and when compared to my stomach (which sometimes looks a bit pregnant when I'm not) it does look a bit disproportionate. But I expect it to look normal once I've lost the last 10 lbs. You should also even out fine, no worries :) You also have muscle mass to take into consideration which will hopefully keep your shape in your not-so-fatty areas like the ankles, wrists, arms etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi.i am 5'7 and currently weigh 175 i have lost 71 lbs so far. My worry is this: i still have alot of fat in my midsection but almost none below the elbow and above the chest. I know fat loss comes from all over and not a target spot...soooo...does this mean that by the time i have a flat nice belly that these other area will look like. Skeleton?
    Sounds like you have an apple shape (carry the bulk of your weight in your midsection).

Basically, you're going to gain their first and lose there last. So, no, you will not end up looking like that. Your limbs will eventually stop losing and your belly will go down instead.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I got a different 'problem area' [my butt and hips] but it remains the same that the rest of your body will not look skeletal, it will be 'toned' and smaller before the one section that just keeps hanging on to the fat, but eventually it's gonna come off there as well. For me this started about 3 pounds ago, when most of the inches are now lost at the bottom cause there is not that much more to lose on the belly. Just keep at it and don't stop before your belly gets the chance to shed some fat :)

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have the same shape as you. and I'm getting to the point where I almost have chicken legs compared to my stomach, which has lost virtually no fat on it at all. What you've confused this with is that you can't spot target fat loss, but that doesn't mean the losses are even all over all of the time. It's totally normal to lose it in certain places only at first. but it will all even out eventually. You can't lose fat where there is none, so no, you won't end up looking like a skeleton. :laugh:
  • carter1092
    carter1092 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It takes longer for the fat in my belly and thighs to melt away. I questioned if there was something wrong with my weight loss routine but figured it was very normal.

I heard consuming honey and cinnamon two times daily will promote faster weight loss, so I'll be buying some raw honey and ceylon cinnamon (real cinnamon) today from Whole Foods.
  • Mellyandy
    Options
    Of course not hun. Just focus more on your lower core, do core work outs simple ones. :tongue:
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Last on, first off.

I'm a pear, and most of my weight is in my butt and thighs. I've been working with a trainer on interval training, mixing up cardio and strength training with a lot of core work. Kettlebells and balance boards; deadlifts and dumbell scrunches; lunges and obliques; Bosu planks and hanging leg lifts; chin-ups and leg presses. I am starting to see and feel results.

I was also told to up my protein.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I do kind of understand OP's concern, (even with the snide remark by 1PatientBear)

I am borderline underweight at 110lbs...but I still tend to carry some "fluff" around the middle. and that's where fat goes first for me...I don't want to drop more weight, because yes, my arms and legs look skinnier and skinner and I still have the fluff in the belly area.....so I tend to eat at maintenance and strength train....try to maintain what muscle I have and try to lose the little bit of fat that's left...

I don't know if this will be successful yet, or if I will need to try another bulk and cut.

So yes, I would recommend strength training, but still eating at a deficit if you have a lot to lose
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just based on people watching, I would say that it is quite possible to have an extremely thin face/arms and still have tummy pudge. If this were my situation, I would be looking into two things: 1) strength training for body recomposition/reduced bf%, and 2) the possibility of some kind of food allergy/intolerance/sensitivity causing abdominal bloating (wheat, dairy being common offenders).
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's genetic - I know my hips will go last. I've also heard first on, last off!

It's true you can't spot reduce but you can work on building muscle so you look more in proportion.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Losing fat does not happen at a proportionate rate. The only thing you can do is trust in the fact that if you keep going with this, eventually when you reach your endgame goal of having a low bodyfat %, things will be proportionate again.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I have that slow-to-lose belly fat combined with love handles. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing - lifting weights and eating at a deficit - and I know that eventually my body will be in proper proportion.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Just keep up with it and the fat in the midsection will definitely go away. Remember that fat in that area requires a good diet too.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The curse of the apple.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    you were spot on saying you can't target an area, as were the others with first on, last off. Don't worry about looking like a skeleton, as you would have to intentionally lose more weight than I'm sure you intend to, in order to become a skeleton.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all wibbly wobbly. Even at my heaviest I had thin arms, never had the bat wing effect.

Try doing some strength training, focusing on your skinnier parts. You won't build muscle while eating at a deficit to lose weight, but it will prevent your body from burning the muscle along with the fat and they won't get skinnier.
  • harleylady2012
    Options

I fight it. Crunches, yoga, anything to help tone the area is good.

Toning that area will help tone hips, thighs, there is no such thing as spot toning but if you want to reduce your waist you will have to focus on exercise for that area.