Just a rant.....

Options
It really erks me that a lot of my family and friends, who know and witnessed what I have gone through and how long a journey it has been for me to loose over 120 pounds, try to push me into "tasting this" or "just give in this once" or constantly offer me and basically rub my nose in foods that everyone knows are not healthy. In one breath someone is telling me how proud they are of me and how great I look now, then a few moments later, that same person is trying to shove a cheeseburger in my face. Most of the time I refuse, but I do give in at times and that makes me feel awful. I know it's up to me to resist, and when I do give in it's nobodies fault but my own, but sometimes I feel like others are trying to set me up to fail just because they don't live healthy. This is the main reason I don't hang out with people and stay to myself most of the time..... How does everyone else deal / handle this pressure?? I have tried the straight forward messages of "I dont eat like that anymore." etc etc....

Replies

• autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thanks; maybe later". What else can they say:)
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, as you have lost over 120 pounds, you do and eat what you want to. Your choice, your body, your success.

I think that's awesome. Well done.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Food Pushers! And much of the time it is family who is doing the pushing. Sometimes people (mothers and grandmothers are good at this), have their self-worth wrapped up in how much others like and eat their cooking. Sometimes, people are directly or indirectly trying to sabotage you--perhaps because they can't say no to excess calories.

You just have to learn to say no firmly and if they still persist, try to avoid the person who won't take no for an answer.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I know how it is. I've acually gotten SUPER frustrated with various family members for this.

Essentially what it all burns down to is this:

They worry you are SUPER depriving yourself and not enjoying anything anymore... so they are in that sense simply trying to get you to relax in a way. Just ignore it, even if you mention it they won't understand so just keep going.
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I haven't had that as my family has been very supportive. I have had some Debbie "doubters" however... "I know a friend who lost weight and gained it all back".... I just smile and let it go. If someone is pushing me to try something, I think (hope) I will just stick to my plan and politely say "no thanks" ... no need to argue about it. Just say it once and let it go. They will be talking to silence after that, and will eventually give up.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't think they realize what they are doing. People who don't have issues with food don't realize how addicting it can be to some of us, and how a taste of something can trigger a back slide. If it's mainly one or two people who are the worst offenders, tell them to stop. You may be able to better handle the others.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to say "Maybe later" and, most of the time, that ends it. That way, you don't focus negative attention on yourself and no one else feels bad either!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying, "I don't eat like that anymore" (which could lead them to think, "but now he can again!"), you might try, "I don't want any."
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I see a post like this at least once a week.

When my extended family found out I was trying to get fit, they're response was to make sure they were stocked with the kind of foods I need to stay on track in my new normal.

I'm grateful for such a supportive clan.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

When my extended family found out I was trying to get fit, they're response was to make sure they were stocked with the kind of foods I need to stay on track in my new normal.

Sounds like a terriffic bunch of people around you:)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My husband started putting extra food on my plate recently (knowing full well I am watching what I eat and being very careful). I simply leave it there and throw it out if I must. If I want to try something I will but I hate people pushing food on me.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like your rant. Don't blame you for feeling like that. It's the same here and it's summer, picnics, parties, weddings and many different events. I love being outside during the summer but it seems like everyone involves food. Read your profile WTG! You will soon be all toned up.
  • angelasfree1
    angelasfree1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Totally get that. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I live with my mum who buys chocolate like it's going out of fashion, but she doesn't actually eat it...I do! And crisps, she buys a pack of 24 and will maybe have 1 packet, then I eat the rest (in about 3 days tops!). I spoke to her yesterday and she said she'll stop buying crisps but not chocolate. It's a start...!
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    My family suffers from obesity and they see me as "sick"
    so yeah I know the feeling....
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Yeah I get that kind of support too. I have a few friends who like to try and tempt me but most of my family/friends are sooo supportive that even if I'm having a planned cheat meal they still ask to make sure it fits in my caloric intake for the day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I guess I do not see a problem. Then again, I believe weight loss can be done through moderation and you can still that cheeseburgers every so often. I mean... oh no... they offered you food. If you don't want it, just say no thanks.