Running out of stomach before calories

Options
With the whole making healthy food choices going on I'm finding it hard to eat all my calories in a day. I'm full at the end of meals and I eat a couple snacks during the day when I get hungry but I'm still not hitting my basic calorie intake of 1260.....and add in my calories back from exercise and I'm really under. What's the best method people have found of combating this?

Replies

• melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    add a glass of milk, peanut butter, juice?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer in listening to what you body tells you. If you are not hungry then don't eat, but do make sure you get the correct amount of nutrients for that day.

Personally I would break your 3 meals and 1 snack to 6 meals a day. That way you don't eat a lot on one meal, but graze over the day with is much better for your metabolism any way.
  • grlgeek99
    Options
    Use full fat products instead of low fat/fat free. They usually have less "junk" in them anyway.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your food diary, and I would add a couple pieces of fruit and maybe some nuts/seeds. don't worry about eating your exercise calories, but do try to get at least 1200. maybe add a little something to each meal, or an extra snack sometime during the day.
  • blbond82
    Options
    Amarillo: With my work schedule I have a hard enough time getting time to eat three times a day! lol I do try to eat 2 snacks a day. I think I'll try the suggestion of nuts. I can keep a serving of those sitting on my desk and eat them as I work.

Melissa: Milk is a good idea. I'll start drinking that for a least one meal instead of water. Sadly I can't stand peanut butter and don't drink juices because of being insulin resistant.

I'm not sure I can really add more food to my meals since I'm already full with what I'm eating now.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at your food diary too!! I would say that a little more at breakfast would be useful to get your metabolism started would be good. 1 yoghurt at 80 calories and I'd be lost..... I've seen so may posts on here that say 200-300 calories for breakfast is ideal.... but blatantly I am NOT a nutritionist!!! :wink: :laugh:
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree using full fat products is an easy way to get more calories for the same volume of food. I personally don't think it's a good idea to under-eat when you don't feel hungry. I think if you end up under-eating for any extended period of time even if you think you're satisfied, it may end up catching up to you and could lead to overeating at the next meal (or worse, a binge). I maintain my weight at 1400-1700 calories...and believe me I could easily eat that and more. 1260 calories is not that much to get in every day. You're better off eating a few extra calories now, feeling full, and reducing the chances of over-eating due to hunger that creeps up on you later on. I suggest portioning out your calories so you're eating at a steady rate throughout the day...this helps train your body to expect to get enough food to keep it going for the next little while, and it will help you get your calories in, not experience drastic changes in hunger/fullness, and prevent binges.
  • blbond82
    Options
    I do good to get the yogurt in. I eat it at my desk at work due to lack of time to eat breakfast at home before work. I'll try to add a piece of toast and some nutella.....if I don't get sidetracked by work! lol
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, it looks like your fat intake is pretty low. Instead of adding more food into your diet, how about switching out some of the lower fat items for higher fat ones. The "advantage" for you is that fat is energy dense -- more calories without having to eat more food. Those nuts are a great suggestion. Maybe some cheese, or full-fat version of the low-fat dairy you're all ready eating. Avocado is great. Or even just try cooking with olive or canola oil. You won't need to change much to get your calories up where you want them -- with fat, a little goes a long way.

Ditto on not worrying about exercise calories -- your body will let you know if you need to replenish them!
  • blbond82
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll switch over to regular cheese...better tasting anyway...and add it to more of my meals or snacks.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would just add in more foods that are bit higher in calories. I was dying when I was trying to eat healthy... I mean barely eating 600 cal a day. It was bad...and after 2 weeks I didn't lose, I gained! It sucked big time. And I wasn't hungry. Now I pretty much just eat in moderation, but don't freak over fat/carbs etc. So I suggest just eating normal food, instead of things that are specifically "low calorie".

Good luck!