Does anyone else have trouble eating when stressed?

Options
When I'm worried, sad, or just going through stress, I absolutely cannot eat. I have stomach cramps and nausea and food never sounds appealing. If i do force myself to eat, I end up with stomach pain for hours, or vomiting.

Most of the people in my life have the opposite problem! I'm told it's more normal to WANT to eat when stressed.

Am I weird? Or do other people experience this?

Also, any suggestions on how to get some food in me that won't make me sick for hours during times of stress?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nope, I drink.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to not want to eat, some eat everything when they are stressed, others eat nothing. People react in different ways.

The hours of stomach pain and vomiting are a bit different though. Have you tried talking to your doctor about your stress levels?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I can't stress eat either, but I will also stress drink, so while not the best calories? I still get some.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    nope, I drink.

^This
  • KellyAMueller
    KellyAMueller Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to not want to eat when you're stressed.
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way when stressed I can't eat or end up being sick, stomach pains and vommiting. Chicken broth is usually what I go for, at least it's better than nothing at all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I had a rough breakup many years ago and lived on apple cider for two weeks and wasn't even a little hungry. Just the thought of food made me sick to my stomach.

The breakup diet worked well for me. lol

I still can't eat if I'm upset.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    People tend to overeat or under eat when stressed. I'm an overeater when I'm stressed. Wish I had the opposite problem because I'd be rail thin with the amount of stress I carry.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    nope, I drink.

^This
    I can't stress eat either, but I will also stress drink, so while not the best calories? I still get some.

...so what you all are saying is to give up the idea of force feeding myself in favor of the bottle?

This is some advice I can get behind, :drinker: :laugh:

Might not help the nausea, though...
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It's definitely normal. I know a lot of people who are like this.

In terms of getting the calories in.. I would say your best bet is probably some sort of protein shake. It's liquid and easy/quick to take down.. And can be full of vitamins and nutrients so it can't hurt.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Just listen to your body =)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People deal with stress in their own way.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. The opposite.
  • BFAH082413
    Options
    Amen to this....:(
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No...I do the same thing. If I try to force myself to eat, I will vomit. Its not good. I existed on protein shakes for about a month the last time it happened. I lost some weight, which was good, but I did not do it in a healthy way. Its important to at least stay hydrated, eat or drink small quantities as you can. You will get through it!!!
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sure do; I OVER eat!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yes. :(
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, but I have worked to overcome it by knowing my body needs fuel to exercise & build not lose muscle. I have literally sat with food for hours to force myself to eat while in tears. Nutrition drinks are good or broth, when the thought of chewing or swallowing food seems impossible. Also I have found that tea and toast also help me break through till I feel better. Knowing my body will go into a lower calorie needs mode also motivates me to continue eating whatever I can without too much upset. I know how hard it is, but it is a must to get over to make your future health better. Just find whatever you can possibly get into your system to at least keep your body going. Self survival to meet your goals and maintain is a must. Keep the fluids going at the very least till you feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    nope, I drink.

^This

...so what you all are saying is to give up the idea of force feeding myself in favor of the bottle?

This is some advice I can get behind, :drinker: :laugh:

Might not help the nausea, though...

And this is not to say that I advocate emotional drinking, but I do know that a nice red wine had a way of calming nausea for me, and since wine is my adult beverage of choice... :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes. I haven't ate really well in 2 days.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't get any kind of physical symptoms like stomach cramps or nausea. I just completely lose my appetite when stressed. I have to force myself to eat. My problem is that I eat all my calories in one meal (at night after I train), so if I have a bad day at work or a bad training session, I don't want to eat, but I have to because it's been 24 hours since I last ate anything, and I just worked out, so my body needs the food. In those cases, I have a protein shake, some ice cream, or whatever doesn't require much effort to put together.