heart rate monitor question.

Options
ok so when i do cardio i like to keep my heart rate between 165 and 180. but when i take my average heart rate with my heart rate monitor it factors in a 70 and i have no freaking idea where it's coming from, and it really brings down my average heart rate when i exercise. my resting heart rate is about 60 currently so i don't know where the 70 is coming from. if you can give me an idea that would be helpful.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What kind of heart rate monitor are you using?
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    it's a sportline s12 i think
  • ploppersdf1
    Options
    anyone?
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you got your HRM fitted around you correctly... tight enough? contacts damp? in the right position on the chest? It happened to me once, I had a cycle and the average heart rate just didn't seem correct, or the calories used... next time just made doubly sure I did all the things above...
  • ploppersdf1
    Options
    well even before i've started anything it's just at 70 for no reason.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

So perhaps your resting HR is actually 70 rather than 60 as you thought? Or, the hrm is counting a bit high perhaps. MY resting hr is usually around 70-73 on the hrm, it's an ft4 so I tend to believe the accuracy :smile:
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You should invest in a polar HRM. They really are reliable.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options

So perhaps your resting HR is actually 70 rather than 60 as you thought? Or, the hrm is counting a bit high perhaps. MY resting hr is usually around 70-73 on the hrm, it's an ft4 so I tend to believe the accuracy :smile:

This is my vote as well. Sitting at my desk my resting HR is mid 60's but when I get up to go for run, put on shoes, put on the HRM, etc. it will raise up to 80-90 bpm. Just the act of moving around getting ready will raise your HR.
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I trust the Polar HRM above others. They have a great track record... I have checked accuracy several times and it is always been correct...
  • ploppersdf1
    Options
    but my average heart rate come up 70 even when i reset it and i haven't taken any heart rates at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that in fact, your HR is 70 BPM. Maybe it's 60 when you're just sitting there doing nothing...but 70 wouldn't be inconceivable given that you had to get up and put on your HRM...probably some shoes, etc. Moving around will increase your RHR, even if it's not a lot of movement. I think you're being a bit OCD here and really over thinking this.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    ok so when i do cardio i like to keep my heart rate between 165 and 180. but when i take my average heart rate with my heart rate monitor it factors in a 70 and i have no freaking idea where it's coming from, and it really brings down my average heart rate when i exercise. my resting heart rate is about 60 currently so i don't know where the 70 is coming from. if you can give me an idea that would be helpful.
    I use a Polar HRM. I really don't know what you mean when you say "if factors in a 70". Factors it in how?