I'm still young...

Options
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not bashing anyone for that. However I get seriously upset when people start telling people what to do instead of making suggestions.

Let me elaborate. I come from a HUGE family. All of us know how to cook. (with the exception of my younger brother, he would just rather be cooked for lol) I am taking the steps in the right direction and have started making healthier food decisions. However I have always been somewhat of a social butterfly my entire life. I love talking to people and listening to there points of view on everything.

Football is finally here and I am EXCITED!!! I was raised on football and all the parties and what not. Since I turned 21 I have added the Sunday night brew into my diet when I watch my favorite team win.

What I am finding is that many people say "just quit drinking beer and having football parties" or "you dont need those people they are the reason for your poor lifestyle"

This just seems stupid to me. Why would I desert my friends because I WAS making poor decisions? Its no ones fault but my own that I blew up like a balloon at the circus! I have made so many healthy decisions and still have a lot of work to do and I just wish some people would notice that before the start judging. I have never claimed to be perfect. And it really upsets me that someone will tell me "dont have a beer every now and then" but then you look on their food diary and they have a glass of wine every night!!!

Who does that really? I guess this is just a rant. But dang if I want to have a "guilt free day" and have a slice of pizza (I usually eat hawaiian which is 100-150 calories a slice) I'm going to.

Some people dont realize that my husband has a duel degree in sports medicine and athletic training, its hard living with him sometimes. We have NO junk in our house! I had to justify buying nutella!!! So if he thinks its fine for me to let loose one day a week and have a "light beer" and a slice of pizza then I'm ok with that.

I guess my point is I'm still young I have A LOT of living to do. I'm making changes and living healthier. I'm not going to leave my friends and family and make them feel gulity that I was almost at the point of buying my clothes from a tent and awning store. The key to life is moderation and portion control. I'm not eating an entire pizza nor am I smashing a 30 pack. I just want to chill sometimes!! Sometims in life you just have to let your hair down and have fun!!

Replies

• rebel14
    Options
    I agree with you 1000 % .
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Football is America its the last Sport we have left that isnt being taken over from every other country it starts on a Thursday and doesnt end until Monday night. Between High school, College and Pro you can watch football all throughout fall .
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's really important not to become a social outcast while you're trying to lose weight. I mean, how is that a good solution? You get lonely and then you fall off the wagon. Or, you lose all the weight and go back to being social and eating the old way, and gaining it all back. The best thing is to surround yourself with the people you love and then make your own food choices. No one can make you eat junk food or health food.

So that means that individual food items will vary from person to person here on MFP. I never really have enjoyed alcohol so it's not a big deal for me, but I LOVE sweet tea so that is something that I allow myself to have occasionally.

The only things in your life that can be the true judge of whether you should eat something or not are your scales, measuring tape, and favorite jeans. You can't argue with an expanding waist line.

Oh yes, and good for you for justifying the nutella!

Best wishes on being healthy :)
  • MBgirl17
    Options
    Amen!!! I really wish people would stop doing that but unfortunately that will never happen. I recently saw some family and friends that haven't seen me since I was about 12 yrs old. Instead of saying how wonderful it was to see me, they kept harping about how fat I was. I have decided to make a change not only for myself but for my children, I have 2 boys age 13 and 8.
    Good luck to you!!! We all need ENCOURAGEMENT not NEGATIVITY!!!!
  • alli1570
    Options
    You should enjoy being young!! What is life if we can't do the things we love with the people we love. We only have 1 life...be happy!!

I guess the real challenge for you...since you like to cook...is to make certain that you bring a healthy food alternative to every party. That way...you can have fun with everyone else and know that you'll have something safe to eat too!! It would also help balance out that brew stuff. And just maybe...your food will be so much better than everyone else's fattening snacks that you'll have to beat people away with a stick!! Good Luck...and Go Team!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My husband was a professional soccer player. Some days I want to put a pillow over his face >:-(

:D

Enjoy life
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband was a professional soccer player. Some days I want to put a pillow over his face >:-(

:D

Enjoy life

I know the feeling!!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Step,
    My observation since you asked for it,or did you just want to rant?:explode:
    Those people who give there opinion or have there own beliefs, are giving thoughts,answers, & judgements on your questions or comments! This is a free country and you have every right to take there advice or not....don't complain when you seek out advice from others.
    They are trying to" help" you through there experiances and lessons learned. It probably helped them and just passing on the lessons learned. Not all lessons are right for everyone!:indifferent:
    So get a thicker skin or don't bring up the subject around others if you don't want a response! Remember, if they didn't care about you they would not express there opinion!:bigsmile: Take this comment with a grain of salt and listen to the message & not how it was given!:smile: Good luck with your journey, be happy that others feel comfortable around you to give there advice and not the other way around.:wink:
  • ashiteru
    Options
    CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST! AND YOU ARE RIGHT YOU SHOULD BE ENJOYING LIFE! AND ITS GREAT TO BE ABLE TO EAT HEALTHY AND TREAT YOUR SELF SOME TIMES! BESIDES SOME OF YOUR HEALTHIER HABBITS MAY RUB OFF ON FRIENDS AND FAMILY! STAY ENCOURAGED AND STAY FOCUSED! BLUR YOUR VISION WHEN YOU WANT! HAVE A GREAT ONE!
  • StephieWheats
    Options
    Step,
    My observation since you asked for it,or did you just want to rant?:explode:
    Those people who give there opinion or have there own beliefs, are giving thoughts,answers, & judgements on your questions or comments! This is a free country and you have every right to take there advice or not....don't complain when you seek out advice from others.
    They are trying to" help" you through there experiances and lessons learned. It probably helped them and just passing on the lessons learned. Not all lessons are right for everyone!:indifferent:
    So get a thicker skin or don't bring up the subject around others if you don't want a response! Remember, if they didn't care about you they would not express there opinion!:bigsmile: Take this comment with a grain of salt and listen to the message & not how it was given!:smile: Good luck with your journey, be happy that others feel comfortable around you to give there advice and not the other way around.:wink:

This actually happened when I was giving a friend advice. I stated my opinion on the subject and that was that. However it ticked me off that someone else basically told her not to listen to me that I didnt know what I was talking about. It really kinda discourages me when people are like that. And you are right maybe this is a rant but like you said this is America and I am entitled to my free speech.
  • mykaar74
    Options
    well said & I totally agree
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would love to see you smash a beer on your head though Steph. LOL

I don't recommend GETTING RID OF friends, however some friends habits can threaten to wash over us if we're not careful. I've had a friend that smokes weed. We've known each other for 14 years. In the past, she has tried to talk me into taking a hit...but NEVER. Last weekend she got married again and was out in the garage smoking weed in her wedding dress. REALLY?! It's that serious?

I'm on this site and the beachbody site a lot now because I'm getting a new class of friends. I'm not saying I'm walking away from my friends that don't workout and watch their diet, but I like to "virtually" be friends with like minded people.
  • Lithuria
    Options
    I have a friend, an old old friend who I grew up with. He's super slim and one of the biggest party animals I know. He loves his wine and chocolate and ice cream. He's not one of those "annoying" people with the super metabolism that means he can eat whatever he likes without putting a pound on, he was really tubby when we were kids and has to be careful now ot else he puts it all back on again. He never does though, he remains stick thin!

He hasn't given up his parties, booze and sugary comfort foods; he just eats sensibly between times and makes sure he works out pleanty at the gym. He works out pretty hard too!

Some would say; whats the point in him drinking that much, eating that much, partying that much, if it only means he has to put himself through hell at the gym and when he goes shopping. Why not just stop the partying, booze and food and get into even better shape...

But then, what would be the point in being in such good shape if you can't enjoy it? There are those out there who love and live fitness and I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with that, we all have our different interests, but not everyone can take enjoyment just from working out. Let's be honest, for many of us, the opposite is true, which is why we're here at MFP in te first place ^_^. Sure you might say the point is you don't kill yourself with weight related illnesses and you're overall more fit anyway, but if your life is gonna be that much longer would you really wanna spend those extra 20 years just pumping iron and stuffing small, carefully analysed and weighed up portions of lean fish, brown rice and fresh raw vegetable batons down your neck every 2-3 hours?

If that's not something that floats your boat then why condemn yourself to it? You can be slim and sexy and yes healthy and still enjoy your parties and beers and pizzas. Healthy and slim are not synonymous with athleticism and muscular. It is not black and white, it is a whole load of grey area (the very reason there's so much controversy over BMI levels etc) For myself, I don't have any interest in becoming completely toned, I personally don't like the look of muscles on a woman so I don't want to get to that point. I'll diet till I loose my weight, tone up what I need to stop myself looking super ridiculously flabby, and to be fair I expect that's what a lot of folks on here are after!

I don't deny that those who sleep eat and breath pure fitness and athleticism know what they're talking about but why take it to that extreme if that's not what you're aiming for? So for my part I guess what I'm trying to say is...enjoy the American Football season and all the parties you'll be having with it :D
  • StephieWheats
    Options
    I tried it once when I first turned 21. I had a bruise on my head for a week! LOL

And I agree 100% with you I have friends on here and friends through Beachbody that I can relate to more than some of my friends in the physical world. I have always watched who I have been friends with and have cut off friendships in the pat due to certain issues. I take advice from my Upline coach and husband when it comes to health decisions. They know me best and know what is going to work with the programs I choose. I guess I just get a little passionate about helping people.
  • andi710
    Options
    So true. You have to know that in any event you are on your own. I walk by myself the majority of the time. But I have to I am determine to lose this weight and I will. But you are so true..
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Steph that passion can get ahead of us sometimes; but keep at it girl.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    You are amazing. I am sooo with you on this.
  • StephieWheats
    Options
    You are amazing. I am sooo with you on this.

You are pretty awesome yourself keep up the good work!
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Girly don't stress over what others think. I never allowed myself a set cheat day *until* football season came around. Football and football food/drinks are something I am not going to give up but instead I make healthier choices during the rest of the week and that is "good enough" for me!
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Do you, Girl! Know your strengths and your weaknesses, and deal with them accordingly. We are all trying to figure this thing out, and no one has all the answers... Good luck! GO STEELERS! :-)