Eating too few calories?

Options
I've been on a plateau for about a week or so, I initially lost 10-12 lbs (fluctuates) pretty easily, now it seems like nothing I do will tip the scale. I've been eating 1,200 cals a day and trying to net 1,200 with eating back exercise calories. Do you think I should shoot more towards 1400? I run anywhere from 2-4 miles 3-4x per week, eat extremely healthy and lift weights.

Any advice on if I'm doing something wrong? My BMR according to MFP is 1,517

Replies

• xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling this will be my solution also once I stop losing my initial weight loss.

Edited to say that OP resembles Mandy Moore to me - at least in that picture. Just an observation. LoL. Have you gotten that before?
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more calories. I've started eating more and exercising and am still losing weight.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You know that if you eat the calories that correspond to BMR+exercise burn you will be at a deficit still, right? Why are you eating so little?

My BMR is the same as yours and I'm currently maintaining on 2400-2600 calories daily. Our workout schedules are similar too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear! A plateau is usually defined as 4-6 weeks without a loss. One week is well within the normal fluctuations you'll see while you're losing weight. It could be something as simple as your body holding onto some extra water (hormones, stress, exercise, sodium, etc will all cause water retention) or your body could be adjusting after your recent loss.

If you're going to use MFP's system, log your exercise and eat back at least some of the calories you burn. Drink plenty of water and wait it out.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    You know that if you eat the calories that correspond to BMR+exercise burn you will be at a deficit still, right? Why are you eating so little?

Because I am getting married in less than 2 months! Haha I am trying to lose these last 10 lbs but it seems impossible!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Because I am getting married in less than 2 months! Haha I am trying to lose these last 10 lbs but it seems impossible!

Ah! Ok... got it. Yeah it's going to backfire on you if you keep trying with such a huge deficit. Try to bring it up a bit... try eating 1700/day for a week without adding exercise and see if you have a loss. I'm going to bet your body will relax.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A week is not a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. Also...as you are only 10 Lbs from goal, you'll need to go slower...with little to lose, your body just isn't going to respond well to a low calorie diet. Most likely you are already in a healthy BF% range and your body is going to become more and more reluctant to let those remaining fat stores go. I'd suggest setting your calorie goal to lose 1/2 Lb per week.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    A week is not a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. Also...as you are only 10 Lbs from goal, you'll need to go slower...with little to lose, your body just isn't going to respond well to a low calorie diet. Most likely you are already in a healthy BF% range and your body is going to become more and more reluctant to let those remaining fat stores go. I'd suggest setting your calorie goal to lose 1/2 Lb per week.

Thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Since you only have a little bit left to lose, you might want to look into more body recomposition rather than weight loss for the next two months. You have enough time to see changes to your body shape without restricting your calories so far by eating closer to maintenance and picking up a good strength training routine. Inches matter more than pounds at this stage!
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options

My BMR is the same as yours and I'm currently maintaining on 2400-2600 calories daily. Our workout schedules are similar too.

Ah! Ok... got it. Yeah it's going to backfire on you if you keep trying with such a huge deficit. Try to bring it up a bit... try eating 1700/day for a week without adding exercise and see if you have a loss. I'm going to bet your body will relax.

Listen to her. Shes pretty much the best ever.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    First: no loss in a week or so is not a plateau.

Second : Try eating at your BMR at the very least.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

^^This
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1 week at the same weight is not a plateau....that is not even technically a stall. The closer you get to goal weight the smaller the loss. You may have been doing well losing 1-2lbs a week, but after the initial weight loss .5-1lb is more feasible goal.

As for the 1200cal....it really depends. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your daily activity like? If your BMR is over 1500 then my guess is that 1200 is too low. 1200 is too low for most after the intial loss. It is recommended you eat closer to your BMR.

Don't increase too much too soon. Take it 50-100 cal at a time for 2 weeks to allow your body to adjust. Give it time. Be patient.

Edit: Just read that you are getting married in 2 months. If and when you start to eat "normally" again it will backfire on you. YOu need to increase a little now....Maybe for the next month eat 1300-1400. I understand you want to weigh a certain amount by your wedding, but don't sabotage yourself. And again I re-emphisize....BE PATIENT. One week at the same weight is not a stall - its your body adjusting.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    1 week at the same weight is not a plateau....that is not even technically a stall. The closer you get to goal weight the smaller the loss. You may have been doing well losing 1-2lbs a week, but after the initial weight loss .5-1lb is more feasible goal.

As for the 1200cal....it really depends. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your daily activity like? If your BMR is over 1500 then my guess is that 1200 is too low. 1200 is too low for most after the intial loss. It is recommended you eat closer to your BMR.

Don't increase too much too soon. Take it 50-100 cal at a time for 2 weeks to allow your body to adjust. Give it time. Be patient.

I am 5'7" and 162 lbs currently. Daily activity (at work) I'm at a desk most of the day but I run 3-4 miles almost every day as well as mild weight lifting.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight eating less than that and in 19 months or so, if you've found something that works stick with it. Sometimes it's just your body catching up with the lbs lost. If your comfortable eating that stick with it a week or so longer and I'm sure you'll see a loss again. Your body will take a break and then bam your back to losing. I've never ever let anyone scare me into eating more and I've done just fine. My body did not hold onto the fat and until right now I've never stopped losing for more than a week at time. One week I'd lose nothing and the next week 5 lbs would be gone, just give it time. But only if your comfortable eating what you are eating. A plateau is when you haven't lost anything for I think they say 6 weeks maybe 8 I forget, but it's not a week. And if you increase now you will not see a loss for at least two weeks while your body adjusts to the new calories going in.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I am 5'7" and 162 lbs currently. Daily activity (at work) I'm at a desk most of the day but I run 3-4 miles almost every day as well as mild weight lifting.

1200 is way too low for you. I'm 5'6" and 160, and 50 years old, working on the last 10 pounds. I'm eating 1800 cals a day and lifting heavy 3x a week.

Set MFP to lose half a pound a week, and eat back your exercise calories.
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also aim to eat 1200 cals a day. Stay the course...you're doing fine. Patience my dear!
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I also aim to eat 1200 cals a day. Stay the course...you're doing fine. Patience my dear!
    ...nope.
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yup