Questions about calorie intake

Options
Quick Stats, I'm an obese male, 34 years old, 6'2, 389lb (down from 444) and I use my new rowing machine every day, as much as possible (read 6 days a week on average for 30-45 min)

MFP says that this activity is around 800 calories for me, and that I should be eating 3020 calories for a 2lb a week loss. I'd like to lose more quickly than that, but I'm wondering what people mean by eating their exercise calories.

Does that mean I should be adding the exercise calories I burned in the morning to my total calories (3020+800=3820?!?)
Also, From what I have read elsewhere, I should be eating protein equal to my lean mass which according to internet calculators is somewhere around 180, but MFP only recommends 113. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, I've gotten into the morning workout routine pretty easily. The rowing machine is fun, quiet, and gets me good and sweaty without all the pain I get on my joints (from being so big) from doing any other aerobic exercise. Would anyone think a second round of rowing in the evening before bed would be beneficial or detrimental? I would need to add those calories into my diet as well?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The way MFP is design, most people do not include exercise in their calorie calculations. For example, I have a desk job so I would put sedentary. If I exercise, I burn calories and therefor would require more calories to fuel my workouts. So if you burn 500 calories, you would eat those calories as well. You also do this because MFP has the deficit already built in. The other option is updating your lifestyle to include exercise and then you do not need to eat back your exercise calories.

Exercise - I would actually suggest switching routines each day. This allows time for your muscles to rest and recover. Essentially, I would row 3 days a week and on the other 3 days either bike or some other cardio or weight training. Doing two workouts a day will just increase your caloric requirements

You can easily change the macro's on MFP under your settings. A lot of us do custom settings. I believe mine are around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats.

Realistically, I would aim for 2 lbs per week even though you have enough body fat. Some weeks you will lose more than others. Since you have a lot of body fat, you can aim for three by not eating back exercise calories but if you feel tired or lethargic, you should start to eat more. Below is a good read on large deficits for informational purposes.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Considering your height & weight, any increasing amount of physical activity plus a calorie deficit will get you losing quite a lot of weight so an extra evening session if you can manage it would be beneficial.

1-2lbs a week is a prediction that may not be accurate. I noticed when I was very obese, the weight would almost drop off from week-to-week just as a result of being more active. I did not "eat back" my exercise calories, especially what MFP told me because it wildly overestimated my "burn", but if you feel hungry I would imagine that's it's ok to eat a certain amount back. If you're not feeling hungry, feel free to not eat any more.
  • corsairpro
    Options
    Agree -to accelerate loss don't eat back exercise calories. If you like tracking exercise in MFP - override the calorie burn to 1.

Regarding protein - you are doing primarily cardio by rowing which is good for fat burn but not particularly demanding from a protein synthesis perspective. Always shoot for getting the minimum protein that MFP suggests and if you go over - just reduce carbs to compensate.
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    You will probably lose either way right now, just from incorporating the activity. KUDOS to you for starting an exercise regime!!! You will see nothing but benefit from any sort of movement. Good luck!