I want to start running.

Options
2»

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. I went to a local store that put me on the treadmill and fitted me based on a gait analysis. I can't stress this enough. Shin splints almost took me out of my Couch to 5K program, but I found out I was wearing the wrong type of shoe. Too little or too much stability can really make things difficult. Good Luck!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    My husband did all the online tests at Mizuna (his favorite running shoe) and then bought them. Luckily he bought them at a local running store! He got runners knee because they were the wrong shoe but since he bought them at the running store I made him go back (they exchange up to 30 days even if you've ran in them). They did all the tests and watch him walk etc. He got the right shoes and after resting his knee he's back running....laid up for 2 weeks because he bought the wrong shoes. Please go to a store. I figured I'd shell out the money the first time and then once I found what works I could maybe go cheaper (but I doubt it). They were so wonderful. I tried on probably 12 pairs of shoes and ran down the street in everyone until I found what I liked. I'm on week 8 of couch to 5k and have had no shoe problems. Bringing my son to the store today to buy shoes...it's just worth it! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    best shoe is what ever is best for you. It depends onif you have foot issues, how your foot strikes the ground, if you tend to roll in or out...... if your just starting, try out a few different types that are on the cheaper end (pay less, walmart something like that is fine for beginners). Once you get really into it and start added lots of miles thats when to start shelling out hte money for the "good" shoes.

I run 4-5x/wk and get my shoes from the outlet stores or payless/Wal-Mart type and never had a problem, but it depends on your body.

Ask a sporting goods store what they recommend for beginners but dont be pressured to buy from them.

^^^^ Whatever you do, please don't do this. I'm really glad this worked for this person, but injury is actually the more common result of this.
  • GotMeSomeGoals
    Options
    I love to see new interests in running. I too am fairly new to the sport (2 years).
    I strongly suggest going to a sporting goods store and having the clerk help you with your decision. Some do work on commission, they are the experts.
    Not everyone's stride is the same. It depends on the shape of your foot and your method of running. If you have under or overpronation, you may require a certain type of shoe to avoid injury. The store clerk will be able to tell you from simply observing your walk/jog down the aisle of the store.
    If anything, have them evaluate your foot type and go shop at another store according to your type.
    With that being said, the name brand running shoes are worth the $$$ if your intentions are to become a runner.
    If you are still testing the waters and don't want to spend the big bucks, I suggest buying a good pair of comfortable running shoes that might not last long, but will allow you to fall in love with running without pain or injury.
    Running is not only great for getting in shape, but i also great for challenging yourself ;)
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted... The extra money is worth it to avoid the pain of things like runners knee, shin splints, etc. If you're not comfortable, you won't stick with it.

I overpronate, so I have to have stability shoes. I envy those of you who can wear the lightweight shoes!

My current shoes are Mizuno Waves, but my husband loves Brooks.
  • daisynightingale
    Options
    New Balance are also my personal preference
  • monicapeterson54
    monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've had Brooks, Saucony, New Balance, Merrill, Mizuno, Asics and Nike. The only ones I would *NOT* recommend are Nike. Don't believe the hype, I just didn't think they were that good. The rest of them are all on about the same playing level, at least in my opinion. If the shoe is the proper fit and the proper type of shoe for you, it will become a matter of personal preference and aesthetics (yes, to some people that matters).

Different shoes for different feet. I've also tried nearly all the ones you've listed above and Nikes work wonderfully for me. Everyone has their own preference and I think it does the OP a disservice to dismiss one out of hand just because they didn't work for you personally.

I work with a podiatrist, she recommends New Balance and Asics. I personally wear New Balance, and will never again, buy anything but! But go in, get professionally fitted, and make sure you tell them whether you be running indoors, outdoors, treadmill, etc.... This is the best way to ensure you get the best shoe!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Considering that quality shoes are the only investment you need to make into the sport of running, go ahead and spend more to get a decent pair. I recommend a running store that will evaluate your gait and offer you shoes that will work for you. A dependable store will work with you and give you choices. The employees at my local running store are very knowledgeable and can answer any running related question and offer advice. Hopefully you have a store like that near you ~ it will soon be your favorite place to shop! LOL. Good Luck!
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I am lucky. I have a running store next to me where they do gait analysis and let you run in some different pairs of shoes. If you dont like them after 30 days you can bring them back. I paid the big price once. After I knew what I ran well in, I started ordering from the running warehouse and get almost 50% off what the store would charge.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good running shoe store to get a good advice. I have Brooks Adrenaline and when I tried them on at the store they made me run on a treadmill and filmed it, this pair was the only one that let me keep from overpronating my left foot (meaning, it angled too deep inside towards the other foot) and in Brooks my feet were almost perfectly straight:) I watched it on a computer screen too, frame by frame, and the difference was very noticeable.
  • Imracing
    Imracing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was like you a year ago. I bought what I thought were good shoes. The brand I choose were Asics. They were very comfortable to wear and felt really good at first. After about 6 weeks they would break down and my legs would be killing me. I bought two new pairs and they did they same. I started to cuss the brand and finally went to a small mom and pop shoe store. I told them my issues and they were surprised because they are a good selling brand in their store. The nice lady took my feet measurements and asked my weight. She then asked me to run for her. Yes in the store. I didn't have to go far. She said the issue is your gate is unusual. The shoe I had choose was not the proper shoe. She went in the back and brought out three pairs of shoes and asked me to try each one. They all had a different feel and I selected one that felt really good. I now wear Saucony Shoes. My first pair is 3 months old and they feel as good as the day I bought them. I did pay about $20 more for them but the service was worth it. I now by my new ones at a local giant store at the cheaper price.

My advice is find a small store where commission doesn't matter. Explain to them what you are wanting to accomplish and they should be able to evaluate you and give you recommendations. If you don't feel satisfied go somewhere else. The good ones know what they are doing and you probably wont find them in a mall. My local one is in an old house.

Hope this helps.
    Josh
This discussion has been closed.