Hard to find motivation to move

Options
I'm (recently) 242 pounds, and I feel like the little bit of exercise I can do isn't making a damn bit of difference. I'm huffy, puffy, sweaty, can hardly breathe and generally feel like I'm dying, yet I've managed to burn a whopping 75 calories? My knee is bad, so it's been even harder. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying, here. I don't want to get diabetes (which is where I'm headed). HELP!

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a HRM? How do you figure your calorie burn? When I started exercising regularly, I weighed in at 260 lbs. I started with the most nonthreatening exercise I could think of: walking. I knew I could do it at my own pace. I started slow, puffing and sweating up and down hills. After dropping 25 lbs, I started doing videos regularly, but I started with one I liked. Exercise isn't pointless. It helps to give you the body shape that you want. Keep pushing and eventually you will be glad you never stopped!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss at 232lbs by merely walking. Started with walking 1/2 mile - basically around the block. I steadily increased the distance of my walks to now 3 miles, sometimes twice daily.

And in the process along with a TDEE-20% calorie deficit, I lost 27 lbs. Start slow and build from there. You can do it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm (recently) 242 pounds, and I feel like the little bit of exercise I can do isn't making a damn bit of difference. I'm huffy, puffy, sweaty, can hardly breathe and generally feel like I'm dying, yet I've managed to burn a whopping 75 calories? My knee is bad, so it's been even harder. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying, here. I don't want to get diabetes (which is where I'm headed). HELP!

"Walk at Home" by Leslie Sansone ..... these are low impact aerobics DVDs ..... simple to use, you can ALWAYS go at your own pace. Available at WalMart, Target, Amazon.

The beauty of these ....you don't have to worry about weather ..... you don't have to learn steps..... you up the intensity when you are ready.

With a bad knee ..... you want small side steps. To lower (the already low) impact ... you can use an exercise mat. Puzzle mats provide nice cushioning for your joints.

Start with 1/2 mile .... then add more. You will start seeing progress. ..... here's a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWhX-RB1s0&feature=related
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great but if you only look at it as a means to burn calories you're going to be disappointed. Exercise is to increase your fitness so you aren't huffing, puffing, sweating and feeling like you might die when you do something. 90% of your weight loss will come from your diet and sticking to a calorie deficit.

Walking is a great exercise that most can do and you may find as you lose some pounds that the knee issue isn't there anymore. Swimming or riding a stationary bike are great for those with joint issues too.
  • klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

"Walk at Home" by Leslie Sansone ..... these are low impact aerobics DVDs ..... simple to use, you can ALWAYS go at your own pace. Available at WalMart, Target, Amazon.

The beauty of these ....you don't have to worry about weather ..... you don't have to learn steps..... you up the intensity when you are ready.

With a bad knee ..... you want small side steps. To lower (the already low) impact ... you can use an exercise mat. Puzzle mats provide nice cushioning for your joints.

Start with 1/2 mile .... then add more. You will start seeing progress. ..... here's a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWhX-RB1s0&feature=related

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely have to check it out.
  • klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a HRM? How do you figure your calorie burn? When I started exercising regularly, I weighed in at 260 lbs. I started with the most nonthreatening exercise I could think of: walking. I knew I could do it at my own pace. I started slow, puffing and sweating up and down hills. After dropping 25 lbs, I started doing videos regularly, but I started with one I liked. Exercise isn't pointless. It helps to give you the body shape that you want. Keep pushing and eventually you will be glad you never stopped!

No, I haven't been wearing one because quite frankly, having to figure out which one to buy is giving me a headache. There's about 1000 models, all claiming to be the best... Strap or no strap (personally, I think they'd be uncomfortable), which brand, etc... Advice?

And thanks for your advice so far. This is why I love this site.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

No, I haven't been wearing one because quite frankly, having to figure out which one to buy is giving me a headache. There's about 1000 models, all claiming to be the best... Strap or no strap (personally, I think they'd be uncomfortable), which brand, etc... Advice?

And thanks for your advice so far. This is why I love this site.

The models with a chest strap measure your heart rate (actually electric impulses) all the time. Wrist only models measure your heart rate periodically .... sometimes if you are moving your arms around .... the numbers aren't correct.

The chest trap is worn under your bra strap ..... so it's really not all that noticeable.

I have a Polar FT4 & love it.