Painful joints from exercise, DESPERATE FOR HELP!!

Options
Hi all! I've been using MFP for a few years now, but I am new to the whole "working out" thing. :) I am having some major struggles!! About a month ago, I started doing Just Dance 3 for the wii for 60 minutes. Now, I am doing Just Dance 4 for the wii for 45-60 minutes (it alternates kickboxing cardio and dance cardio). I had to stop last week Thursday because my ankles and knees were swelling and it was painful to walk. I have the swelling down for the most part, but it is still very painful to walk. I got Ryka dance shoes with ankle support, because it was suggested that my shoes were the problem (I was using New Balance running shoes). Even though my ankles and knees were still a bit tender, I tried easing back in to the workout yesterday (doing 25 minutes), and I can barely walk today. What gives??? I finally found a work out that keeps me motivated, and my body is totally rebelling. Any help, any suggestions are so welcome!! Just a side note if you look at my diary: I am trying to start to eat cleaner, but I am most definitely a work in progress there. Also, I use the Fitbit One to track calories burned. Thank you!!

Replies

• 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ankles and knees swelling can have other causes besides the exercise. r u sure its from the exercise ???
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    get a sauna and hot tub.
    works wonders
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    I can't imagine that its from anything else. I've never had any ankle or knee issues before this, and I started having problems shortly after working out. Doesn't make sense!
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Epsom Salt bath.

Fish Oil, daily. I take like 3,000 mgs minimum.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    I going to assume that it's the torquing on your knees and ankles from dancing. Dancing takes correct form too and over rotating with fast moves on your knees and ankles is possibly the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    I will try the bath salts and fish oil, thank you! Also, ninerbuff, I was wondering if that was it too. I've been trying to work on form, but I'm a newbie doing this in my basement, so I do the best I can. :) I see you are a kickboxing instructor, any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Should I wrap them? Do smaller movements until I am comfortable with the choreography? Anything helps.
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    Also, do I just keep pushing through this and working out even though it hurts? Or will that injure something? And any thoughts on the Ryka shoes? I have a beach body coach that is pushing Nikes...?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    My husband is a runner. He has run for over forty years. He was starting to have knee problems. He went the new shoe route, too. He also went to a physical therapist who gave him exercises to do before he ran. He explained that running or whatever exercise you are doing only works certain muscles. The pain comes from those muscles that are being stressed but not used in the running. Once he started doing these warm-up exercises his knee pain cleared up tremendously. Perhaps something like that would help. It sounds like you found exercise you enjoy. I hope you find the solution that works for you.
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    Margaretturk, thank you! What kind of exercises does he do? Just Dance 4 has a warm up and cool down built in to the program that is mainly just stretching.
  • margaretturk
    Options
    This is one example of what he does. He does a hip flexor stretch off edge. Lie on your back with your bottom at the edge of a table or top step. (husband uses a couch)Start with both legs bent up.
    Grasp one knee firmly to your chest, holding tightly, not allowing it to come forward when lowering the other leg. Keep back flat against the couch, let other leg drop over the edge, allowing it to stretch down.
    Intermitterntly tighten the buttocks and attempt to press you leg further down. (the one hanging off the dege of the couch. You may also bend and straighteb the knee of the hanging leg as you stretch down.
    Hold for 15-30 seconds and repeat 3 times of each leg.

Another on he does is called a tensor stretch:

Stand parallel to a wall with the wall at arms length away.
    Cross the foot to be stretched behind the other;then lean your hip toward the wall and slghtly forward for a more intense strech (you should feel the stretch in the hip closest to the wall)
    Keep you pelvis as level as possible and stay facing forward whil keeping the trunk erect.
    Hold for 15-30 seconds and repeat 3 times.

I know he does a couple of others too. He did have his therapist check his form too.

You might already be doing similar exercises with you warm-up. Maybe intially you'll need to do more sets to build up your muscles. You might also need a longer cool down initially. I also like the epsom salt bath. AGHHHHHH!

Again hope this helps.:smile:
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Could it be arthritis?

A few years ago, after doing years of impact exercise including step aerobics and vigorous walking, I was about to take a walk up Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, my knee failed me. I later found out that I had osteoarthritis. So,in the interest of preserving my joints and strengthening the muscles around them, I switched to water aerobics and lap swimming with an occasional, slow paced walk woven in.

So, I suggest a visit to your doctor. But even if it's not arthritis, a change to exercise with less impact could do you well.

All the best. :)
  • margaretturk
    Options
    I just noticed you said you do this in your basement. You are probably doing it on a cement floor that might have a bit of padding. If you could change your location to an upper story where the flooring has more give that might help too.
  • atlcajun
    atlcajun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have weak ankles so I use a good ankle brace to help and noticed the difference. I wear my brace especially when I do Zumba. I also go to water aerobics which I get a great workout and it is not hard on my knees are ankles.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to my ankles when I was trying to do C25K, my ankles couldn't take it and I kept it up until I actually had trouble walking. Maybe you should try some lower impact exercises like lifting weights, elliptical machines or stationery bikes. Good Luck.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Epsom Salt bath.

Fish Oil, daily. I take like 3,000 mgs minimum.

I was just going to mention omega fatty acids. They do amazing things for your body. Your skin gets soft and lovely, any stomach issues are helped and the biggest thing is it really helps with joint pain. They're great for your whole body and are relatively cheap if you can go to Costco. It's $15 for a large 350 capsule bottle of Wild Alaskan Salmon oil caps.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should call your doctor, just to be sure! Swelling doesn't sound good to me.

Are you stretching and cooling down adequately? Are you drinking enough water to stay hydrated?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Could it be arthritis?

A few years ago, after doing years of impact exercise including step aerobics and vigorous walking, I was about to take a walk up Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, my knee failed me. I later found out that I had osteoarthritis. So,in the interest of preserving my joints and strengthening the muscles around them, I switched to water aerobics and lap swimming with an occasional, slow paced walk woven in.

So, I suggest a visit to your doctor. But even if it's not arthritis, a change to exercise with less impact could do you well.

All the best. :)
    I strongly agree with the above poster, a lot of wisdom in what they've shared! I too do mostly water aerobics, water jogging, water walking and aqua Pilates...more workouts can be done in the pool than you might imagine.

I've started swimming again and aqua jogging and my knees have less and less pain in the joint area. Working to strengthen your calves and thighs can really help with knee joint issues. I simply can't say enough good about pool workouts and then if available spending time in the hot tub after a workout.

I could never run on pavement....my knees would not be able to take it but running in the pool..it's exhilarating and really strengthens my entire body. I'm a bit older than you and I realize Jazzercise and all that high impact exercise has gotten me to where I am now. High impact can be really hard on our bodies... not matter what weight, some of us it's just not a good fit.

Don't know if you have use of a pool or can get a pass for a week or so to try out a gym that has one? I noticed you're pretty young but there are some ppl that deal with arthritis even at a younger age. If the workouts you're doing now are painful...I suggest stopping them until you figure out what's causing the joint pain. This is a BIG deal, not just a little pain but it's something that can effect your joints and entire body for the rest of your life.

Not worth a gamble, not for me and I really should only be speaking for myself. But please be careful, we only get one body and pain simply isn't worth it.

I know that some can do dance workouts, Zumba etc. Some simple can't because of knee issues or the fact that quick movements of the knee can often times mess up our knees pretty badly.

I wish you well, you've got some great advice on this thread... really glad you posted about the issue rather than pushing through. Joint issues are NOT something to push through without checking with someone first, perhaps a trainer to get assistance on form, a doctor etc. Our bodies being sore after a workout is one thing but pain is a signal something is wrong and our bodies way of letting us know.

*****Oh and ice ice ice! Helps with the joint inflamation..heat can work for some, ice seems to be best for my knees.
  • stringsnthings
    stringsnthings Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi JessicaJonkers, Don't worry you have just gotten off balance functionally from being pregnant, but you can get it back. Look up Egoscue method on youtube for a bunch of free vids which are body alignment exercises. I use to stay out of pain myself and even got certified in it. It's a lifseaver!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    I will try the bath salts and fish oil, thank you! Also, ninerbuff, I was wondering if that was it too. I've been trying to work on form, but I'm a newbie doing this in my basement, so I do the best I can. :) I see you are a kickboxing instructor, any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Should I wrap them? Do smaller movements until I am comfortable with the choreography? Anything helps.
    A knee joint doesn't rotate when it's extended which is why it ligaments and tendons tear when enough force is put on them. Especially with kicking where one has to rotate their hips into the kick, many don't rotate on the balls of their feet, but leave their standing foot planted to the ground. So the torsion goes to the hip and knee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCmg35q8bs

I know the video is cheesy, but look at how the standing foot rotates on a round house kick. Keeping one's hips open is how to develop a good kick.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of problems with tendonitis in my feet, ankles, and I suspect my knees too. When I feel it coming on, I stretch extra, take 2 ibuprofen per day, and ease back from running for a couple days, or switch to swimming and elliptical trainers. It's probably a good idea to alternate work outs anyway, maybe give yourself a walking day in between dancing? If it persists, see a doctor.

Also, good call on the right shoes, my New Balance running shoes have made a HUGE difference!