Change up routine?

Options
Have been exercising on elliptical only, better to rotate between elliptical and treadmill and/or weight lifting or ok to continue same routine 4 days a week with just elliptical? thank you

Replies

• mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you... but i believe it's best to switch it up especially if you hit a plateau. definitely add some weight lifting in -- that makes a huge difference.

for the past few years, i ran 3-5 days a week. i now run only 2 days a week, but i weight lift 2-3 days a week and swim once or twice also.

i'm less bored, which helps keep me motivated to go work out.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is. If all you are after is a calorie burn then purely elliptical is fine. If you want to add tone, lift weights. If you want to add endurance elliptical is fine as is the treadmill. If you are bored with elliptical then move on to treadmill. The important thing is to find something you like that fits in your goal and keep with it.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's better to switch it up now and then. Do the elliptical for maybe 2 weeks or even a month, then change to treadmill. Add some strength in, maybe twice a week and then go to 4 days, then after a while switch it all up again. This keeps your body from getting used to the routine, so it remains challenging and burns more cals.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The best course of action is to chose the training program that most effectively moves you toward your goal, and to continue to make progress on said program.