What a difference a year makes...with pics

kathim429
kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
Today marks my 365th day of logging on MFP...

I am 44 years old. I am 5'5" tall.

I was not an overweight kid, I was always athletic. Then something happened.

I got myself into an emotionally abusive relationship which progressed to an even more emotionally abusive marriage. I turned to eating and drinking to try to cope. Fast forward through 15 years and then 2 kids later, I was 220 lbs. I would venture to guess that I was heavier at certain points, but I didn't go near the scale much. I was in a size 18 pants (which were quite tight) and a 2X or 3X shirt.

Last July, I got dragged to my 25th High School Class Reunion. I was miserable, I didn't want to be there, which shows in the picture. I was mortified and completely humiliated. Yet it still took me almost 1.5 months to do something after that. In August, I met a friend at a wine festival and was telling him about how much I turned out like my mother. She was obese and had extremely high, uncontrolled blood pressure. So did I. She died at age 32. I don't remember her at all. I have 2 boys, ages 13 and 10. I stated to him that I was worried that if I died they wouldn't remember me. He asked me...how old do they have to be before it is ok for you to die? Because you are killing yourself just like she was.

He was right and I knew it. The next day I joined a gym and started on the bike. It felt safe, I knew what I was doing. Then I progressed to the treadmill and started the C25K. Much to my surprise I did it. I dropped most of my weight quickly. I lost 60 lbs by January of this year. Now I have been fluctuating the same 5 or 6 lbs ever since. I am renewing my commitment to getting the rest of the weight off. I had originally set my goal weight at 135 lbs. I am a bit more realistic at this point. My body seems to be stuck between 160 and 165. My new goal is 145 lbs.

In the year that has passed, I have lost 62 lbs. (now I am at 55 lbs lost), I have lost 8.5" off of my waist, 6.5" off of my hips and 5" off of my chest. I have gotten down to a size 10 (some 8's but not many) and a large top. The most important thing for me has been that I went from uncontrolled blood pressure on 3 meds...to no meds and normal blood pressure!!

I am still considered overweight, but I am still working on it.

I have (re)met the man of my dreams. We have known each other since high school. We have since gotten married. He is the most supportive, loving man. My life couldn't be better right now. Well, until I lose the rest, then I may take that back!

2ynqnaf.jpg
25th High School Class Reunion 7/7/12

192tu0.jpg
Before-workout pic

2yv14xz.jpg
Before

dx2004.jpg

fjkarn.jpg

2mc7zww.jpg

19mp89.jpg

156y51l.jpg

fuvudc.jpg

Replies

• haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    WOW!!! Awesome!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    You have done such an amazing job and are such an inspiration to me and many others. I am so thankful that I have you as a friend!!! <3
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    You are a true inspiration!! So glad to have you as a friend! And you look FABULOUS!
  • What an awesome post! Well done to you, you are a true inspiration and have overcome so much :) Thank you for sharing your story x
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Excellent! Nice work.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Great job!
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Amazing! You should be so proud of yourself! I love what you said about renewing your commitment! The reality is, we all go through these lulls and phases where the weight doesn't come off but instead of giving up, you renew yourself and come back stronger than ever to meet your goals! Such a positive inspiration! Best of luck on your journey forward, and thank-you for sharing your story :)
  • Congratulations and well done! You look great!
  • kathim429
    Thank you!!!
  • Wow. That is really great. A real eye opener too. I fear dying due to my weight. I've put a lot of stress on my organs from the weight. How many eye opening experiences does a person need to witness before they get up and start doing something about it? Thank you so much for sharing. Congratulations and keep up the great work.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Great work! And you will get there!
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Admire your courage and determination to take control of your life again for your sake and the kids! Keep up the great work!
  • kathim429
    You have done such an amazing job and are such an inspiration to me and many others. I am so thankful that I have you as a friend!!! <3

You have been quite an inspiration to me!!
  • kathim429
    You are a true inspiration!! So glad to have you as a friend! And you look FABULOUS!

You have inspired me and encouraged me all along the way...thank you!
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    You are a new person!
  • Kimmywells
    Kimmywells Posts: 85 Member
    great job
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    What K did not mention is that she took her life and her health back in her own hands while going through a tough divorce, raising 2 children alone, with reduced resources, going through a difficult geographic move, tackling a new job and many other hurdles I just can't list here. Talk about S/Hero status, she IS a real one. WonderWoman she is. You have done terrific in an amazing time, K!! I have no doubt that the last few elbeez will melt, with time. Congratulations on building yourself a brand new fabulous life and being such a great role-model for your kids and the rest of us! b^__^d
  • scrappermom96
    scrappermom96 Posts: 83 Member
    Way to go....Thank you for sharing your story!
  • kathim429
    What K did not mention is that she took her life and her health back in her own hands while going through a tough divorce, raising 2 children alone, with reduced resources, going through a difficult geographic move, tackling a new job and many other hurdles I just can't list here. Talk about S/Hero status, she IS a real one. WonderWoman she is. You have done terrific in an amazing time, K!! I have no doubt that the last few elbeez will melt, with time. Congratulations on building yourself a brand new fabulous life and being such a great role-model for your kids and the rest of us! b^__^d

You made me cry! Thank you for your support, yes, there is definitely more to my story, but thanks to friends like you...I got through it and am a much better person now!
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Thanks for sharing...so inspirational! What an incredible journey:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!