First Marathon... Should I

Options
Two questions:
1) Should I run with a pacer?
2) Should I play it safe and run at my training pace just to finish, or should I set my sights on a better pace knowing that my legs will be fresh from the taper?

Replies

• Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump... anyone?
  • karerunh
    Options
    Depends on your training, but I've done six and better to run your own race.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How many half marathons have you completed? What's your training schedule look like? When is the marathon?
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definitely run with a pacer! Set your sights on your training pace. I did that, and at mile 23-24ish I felt like I could go a little faster than my pacer was going, so I went ahead and finished ahead of that pace group.

Good luck and have fun!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I haven't run a full yet - so I"m excited for you!
    I generally end up starting too fast due to the excitement at the starting line. During my first 1/2M I went out too fast and struggled to finish.
    I would recommend starting at your training pace for the first 1/2 of race and then see how you feel then.
    If you are feeling awesome, maybe try to catchup to the next (fastest) pace group if you see it just ahead of you.

In general, I hate 'struggling' to finish so my goal is to run a negative split. <==But that's just me.

Have fun and good luck! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first this weekend and would say go at your own pace.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    PS: OP - Do you have a Dorian Grey type portrait in your basement? You look amazing!!
  • Happylady123
    Options
    How many half marathons have you completed? What's your training schedule look like? When is the marathon?
    I have run two half marathons: 2:01:45 and 2:06I:02. I just completed my longest run to date (20 miles @ 10:18 avg. per mile). I am running 5, 6, and 5 miles during the week with a long run on the weekend. My long runs add a mile each weekend. I have not been including a cut back week on long runs, but will probably start now that I have reached the 20 mile mark. I will probably do 15 this weekend and then go up to 21 the next weekend and so on until I get to 23 miles max. That sould bring me up to tapeiring time.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    PS: OP - Do you have a Dorian Grey type portrait in your basement? You look amazing!!
    Thank you! You are very kind:happy:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have run two half marathons: 2:01:45 and 2:06I:02. I just completed my longest run to date (20 miles @ 10:18 avg. per mile). I am running 5, 6, and 5 miles during the week with a long run on the weekend. My long runs add a mile each weekend. I have not been including a cut back week on long runs, but will probably start now that I have reached the 20 mile mark. I will probably do 15 this weekend and then go up to 21 the next weekend and so on until I get to 23 miles max. That sould bring me up to tapeiring time.

I would run a pace to bring you in around 4:30 based on the numbers above. That's a 10:19 pace. Run that for about the first 16 to 18 miles and see how you feel. If you are feeling good, pick it up some, but not too much. I would caution running any mile faster than about 9:30 pace.

Also, I would suggest not doing a 23 mile training run. The recover takes too long. I wouldn't go over 21 (20 is even good for most).
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    First time out? I'd run with a pacer.

I can always tell the people who are running their first half or full... usually by halfway thru the race. They will be the ones who jackrabbit at the start of the race and will hit the wall early. I usually end up passing them somewhere on the course.

The reason a pacer helps is that it keeps you on an honest and consistent pace. It keeps you from being a jack rabbit early and gives you a guide and motivator later on. By keeping up with your pace bunny it gives you that little voice of experience to follow.

Set your goal time and find your pace bunny. And if you are lucky... your pace bunny will have a great personality and sense of humor and that alone will make the 26 miles go quickly. They can help keep your mind off the distance and keep you from beating yourself.

Have a Great Race! Don't forget to smile for the camera's!
  • Happylady123
    Options

I would run a pace to bring you in around 4:30 based on the numbers above. That's a 10:19 pace. Run that for about the first 16 to 18 miles and see how you feel. If you are feeling good, pick it up some, but not too much. I would caution running any mile faster than about 9:30 pace.

Also, I would suggest not doing a 23 mile training run. The recover takes too long. I wouldn't go over 21 (20 is even good for most).
    The finishing time of 4:30 feels right to me, too. That is what I have been comfortable with at this point. I have until Nov. 9th to train. What should my long runs look like from here on out?
  • Happylady123
    Options
    First time out? I'd run with a pacer.

I can always tell the people who are running their first half or full... usually by halfway thru the race. They will be the ones who jackrabbit at the start of the race and will hit the wall early. I usually end up passing them somewhere on the course.

The reason a pacer helps is that it keeps you on an honest and consistent pace. It keeps you from being a jack rabbit early and gives you a guide and motivator later on. By keeping up with your pace bunny it gives you that little voice of experience to follow.

Set your goal time and find your pace bunny. And if you are lucky... your pace bunny will have a great personality and sense of humor and that alone will make the 26 miles go quickly. They can help keep your mind off the distance and keep you from beating yourself.

Have a Great Race! Don't forget to smile for the camera's!
    I am definately toying with that idea, but I usually run alone. Sometimes when I run along side other people I get caught up in their breathing, pacing, struggle... I can't explain it. When I run I talk to myself in my head and block everything else out as much as possible. I guess I self motivate, but running my first marathon with a pacer sounds a little more comforting!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Agreed. It also might be good to go with the 4:30 pace group just so you don't go out too fast at the beginning of the race. Let the experienced pacer take you through those first adrenaline-pumped miles.

ETA: you don't have to officially 'join' the pace group, you can just hang out near them. I have often implemented the 'just follow the guy with the numbers on the sign' strategy late in marathons when my ability to pace or think clearly starts to waver.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I think start SLOW...you've got 26.2 miles ahead of you and the worst thing you can do is hit a wall at mile 16 because you started off too fast. If you ever even have the thought, am I running to fast, then you are. I'm currently training with Team in Training for the Nike Women's marathon. The furthest distance we run is 20 miles then taper off. Look at it this way, it's a 20 mile warm-up with a 10k race! :) GOOD LUCK!!!

xoxo
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Why do we have to maths this out??? Just run it! If you get tired, slow down... tired again, walk, then crawl. No need to over analyze...
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for asking the questions and to you all for the great responses. I am running my first marathon - actually my first ever road race - in October. These are some of the questions that are starting to pop in my head.

Thanks again!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

This is really good advice. Both on the pace and on the LRs.

For the weeks you were going to do 22/23, just do 20/21. Perhaps even take the first one of those off from that long a run and do 10-12 instead. You'll still get in 3 20+ mile long runs, more than enough. Rest your legs a bit by giving them a cutback - even though you'll taper into the race.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The finishing time of 4:30 feels right to me, too. That is what I have been comfortable with at this point. I have until Nov. 9th to train. What should my long runs look like from here on out?
    I agree with Carson that a 4:30 goal is reasonable given your training. My recommendation on long runs would be to do 3 more 20s on 7 Sep, 28 Sep, & 19 Oct. On the weeks in between you should run for 2 to 2.5 hours for whatever distance that comes out to at your training pace. If that is too much then you could reduce one of those 2 hr runs to 90 min so you have a cycle of 20 mi - 2 to 2.5 hr - 90 min every three weeks.

It would also help if you can stretch out one of your midweek runs out to around 90 minutes each week if you can do it without getting hurt.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I would be careful with doing too many 20+ long runs especially if you haven't been running that long. For my first marathon, I cut myself out at one 3 hour run prior to training and I was fine. I went by time rather than distance because I am a slow runner and wanted to keep my longest run under 3 hours due to the recovery time after long run. My husband runs a sub 3 marathon, and he even cuts his longest run at 20 miles and only does 2-3 of them prior to the race. You don't want to overtrain and end up tired and beat up on race day.