Snacking at night

Options
Its been over a year now of my live change with eating. i been really good eating all the correct food but the last two months i been having this night time snacking to the point of overeating again. The craving at night is driving me crazy and i dont know why. I try to look what has changed in the last two months and i dont see anything. i was hoping someone else has fall for this and tell me how to control it

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I love eating at night. I always leave extra calories at night to account for evening snacking. There's nothing wrong with eating late so long as you have calories remaining. You can try eating more filling foods towards the end of the day (high fat and/or protein) or drinking more water. Your diary is closed, so I can't look at any specifics to provide better information.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot at night too. It's something I struggle with too, as far as making sure I have enough calories to snack.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i am a night time grazer as well. Always have been. I always make sure to have fruit to graze on. Wallaby vanilla bean yogurt with rasps and bluerberries.. yummmmmmmmm

Save at least 100 calories for grazing at night.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You should try Quest protein bars. They are DELICIOUS. Tons of protein and fiber (won't hurt your stomach like FiberOne products). I buy some to keep me from grazing at night as well.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    By "night" do you mean the time after dinner and before bed? Or are you waking up to eat? I find myself grazing a lot before bed, but I allow myself room for more calories knowing full well that I will use them in the evening. I think the issue for me is that the evening is my only down time, so I like to relax and snack. Most of my day is busy up until 7-8ish, so I don't have time to snack. It's probably psychological for me to snack when I'm finally resting.

However, I also attribute it to the fact that I normally work out right after getting home from work. Some nights I burn quite a few calories and then eat dinner, but my body is telling me it needs more replacement energy. Smoothies tend to hit the spot in this case. I just started working out in the morning before work, so it'll be interesting to see if my evening snacking changes when I don't have to replenish after cardio.

If you're waking up in the middle of the night to snack, that is a different issue perhaps.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    is it hunger based snacking, or pleasure/boredom based snacking? if you can figure out why you're doing it, it will be easier to stop.

for hunger, re-examine how you're eating during the day and make allowances for additional snacks at night or for more protein in your regular meals.

if it's pleasure/boredom snacking, are you noticing a pattern? are you sitting on the couch snacking with the tv, or are you online and doing it there? try to substitute another activity for snacking. i, for instance, refuse to allow myself to eat on the couch. i cannot stop when i do that.
  • dengill7318
    dengill7318 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really like your idea. From now on no sitting if I have a snack. I also was ready that if you stop sugar you may start to crave I did lower my Sugar intake to 25 mg. a day. So am going to try your idea and eating more protein bars instead of garbage snacks. Thank you for the reply .. Good luck on your journey no one knows how hard it is till hey try.
  • dengill7318
    dengill7318 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Going to try your idea with the bars I understand more fiber and protein is better. Thanks for the reply and good luck in your journey
  • zv1981
    zv1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi i have recently found Hartley's jelly snack pots only 10 calories for the full pot, sometimes if i'm really hungry i add low fat yogurt. if you freeze the low fat yogurt its like jelly and ice cream for 67 calories.