Fruit

Options
I am confused... I just ate an apple and it contained half of the sugars I am allowed for the day. I thought fruit was good for you. Any input? I have heard that fruit contains a "natural" sugar. I am not sure what that mean compared to other sugars.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    "Natural" means that it wasn't added to the fruit by le homo sapiens. Our sugar limit on MFP is actually the FDA limit for added sugars only, so even though MFP counts them the same, your apple doesn't actually factor into that limit.

Please, enjoy your fruit and don't worry about sugars if you don't have any pre-existing blood sugar problems. Fruit is nutritious and delicious.
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    Apples and fruits in general contain a form of sugar called Fructose, Sucrose, and Glucose. Check out this Paleo Diet page on Fruits and Sugars to learn more.

http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I have heard that fruit contains a "natural" sugar. I am not sure what that mean compared to other sugars.

It doesn't mean anything, they're all basically the same
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Natural" means that it wasn't added to the fruit by le homo sapiens. Our sugar limit on MFP is actually the FDA limit for added sugars only, so even though MFP counts them the same, your apple doesn't actually factor into that limit.

Please, enjoy your fruit and don't worry about sugars if you don't have any pre-existing blood sugar problems. Fruit is nutritious and delicious.

Hmm this makes a lot of sense now. I just started to ignore my counter, because if you go by MFP you are only allowed like 1.5 servings of fruit a day before you are over. Don't eat a bannana you are done for the day. I love fruit and have been eating it in abundance since on MFP and haven't had any problems with losing weight, so I am going to keep doing what I am doing. Thanks for that insight.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sure, fruit sugar is the same as sugar found in processed foods, but fruit sugar comes with all of the other wonderful nutrients found in fruit (like fiber). If you're going to limit your sugar consumption based on the FDA's (insane) nutrition guidelines, cut the sugars found in processed foods, and keep that apple. If you're going over sugar guidelines solely because of fruit and vegetables, you'll be fine.

ETA: unless you have blood sugar issues. Then ignore what I said.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sure, fruit sugar is the same as sugar found in processed foods, but fruit sugar comes with all of the other wonderful nutrients found in fruit (like fiber). If you're going to limit your sugar consumption based on the FDA's (insane) nutrition guidelines, cut the sugars found in processed foods, and keep that apple. If you're going over sugar guidelines solely because of fruit and vegetables, you'll be fine.

ETA: unless you have blood sugar issues. Then ignore what I said.

Nicely said! Completely agree.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I almost felt guilty for eating that apple and then logging it and seeing those sugars.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am/was prediabetic and fruits are not the problem. In fact, it wasn't until I added more fruits and veggies to my plan this week that I finally lost those 2 pounds I've been working on for the last two weeks! I think the added fiber and water helped get rid of the water retention I was experiencing.
  • MizzuzR
    MizzuzR Posts: 9
    Options
    Glad to hear that ignoring my natural sugars in the diary was a good call. Not that I eat the recommended amounts of fruits a day but I'd much rather eat an apple or strawberries than a candy bar!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eating tons of fruit will have the same effect as eating tons of sugar, sugar is sugar. However:

1) fruit is generally accompanied by more micronutrients than, say, a chocolate bar with the same amount of sugar
    2) fruit comes with fiber, which is essential in allowing your liver to process the fructose you just consumed - your liver treats fructose as a toxin and breaks it down accordingly. in a chocolate bar, no fiber is present to help

So yes, fruit is healthy, and always a better choice than sugary junk. However, eating 100g of sugar a day from fruit is still 100g of sugar.