Carbs v.s Sugars

Options
Hi All! This may be a silly question. It may also been addressed already. I have been noticing that I am usually over on my sugars but not on my carbs. I thought that they were connected, so I guess my question is, what is the difference? Thanks in advance for your help!:smile:

Replies

• HouseWolf1960
    Options
    bump for later
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sugars are a type of carbohydrate, so while both go up, you probably won't exceed your carbohydrate target. Also keep in mind that sugars actually means "added sugars" It's generally not something that you need to worry about if your sugar sources are fruits and vegetables. Of course the caveat is that if you're diabetic, insulin resistant or have some other medical condition in which you do need to watch your total sugar intake.
  • es513
    es513 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sugar is a carb, but it's not the only carb. Also, the sugar recommendation is for added/refined sugars. There is no formally sanctioned recomendation for sugar as a whole. Unless you have a medial condition or are otherwise insulin resistant, I'd recommend just managing your macronutrients, not your micro subsets.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate, but there are other carbohydrates that are not considered 'sugar' for this type of nutrient tracking. Fiber, for example. That's why your carbohydrate goal is much higher than your sugar goal. It's best if all your carbs are not 'sugar'.
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally don't treat sugars different from "regular" carbs. I've been factoring them into my total macros and have seen no negative effects. Granted I workout everyday but I usually start my day with a sugary cereal now instead of traditional "clean" food such as oatmeal.