Eye opener

Options
So, today is day 2 on MFP, and so far I'm learning a lot. I didn't know the exercises I did burned as much as they did, and even though I've done food journals before, this is like, a wake up call. Yesterday I would have thought my intake was OK, but it turns out I was 900+ cals under including my burned cals.Today my body just kept wanting food, and surprisingly I was only about 200 cals over. So i guess I get to do a lil more exercising before bed. I think this site is wonderful and am so happy I found it.

Replies

• mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good luck on day 3 and may it be a life changing thing for you!
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    :-) thank you
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that MFP's calorie burns for exercise are usually waaaaay too high. I used to cut them in half. Now I have a Fitbit, and it's estimates are even lower than half of what MFP says.
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your future days, and great job taking that first step!

It is an eye opener for sure. I remember when I had first started tracking (on and off) to only find out how my thought of "I eat alright" was more accurately, "I eat too much garbage and nearly 2x my daily Sodium intake and not nearly enough Protein".
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on Day 2!!
    Keep in mind that MFP's calorie burns for exercise are usually waaaaay too high. I used to cut them in half. Now I have a Fitbit, and it's estimates are even lower than half of what MFP says.

This is what I was going to say. I don't have a fitbit but a Polar HRM and the HRM estimations are 1/3 to 1/2 of MFP calorie burn estimations.
    kind regrds,

Ben
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So, today is day 2 on MFP, and so far I'm learning a lot. I didn't know the exercises I did burned as much as they did, and even though I've done food journals before, this is like, a wake up call. Yesterday I would have thought my intake was OK, but it turns out I was 900+ cals under including my burned cals.Today my body just kept wanting food, and surprisingly I was only about 200 cals over. So i guess I get to do a lil more exercising before bed. I think this site is wonderful and am so happy I found it.

congratulations!!!! keep up the great work.
  • jnninn
    jnninn Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a HRM and I also burn WAY less than MFP says I burned. Usually its around half. The best thing I did when I started to be serious about losing weight and getting fit was 1) starting a MFP account, 2) logging ALL my calories, 3) getting a HRM.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining MFP. An eye opener for me, aside from the exercise calories, was food portions. Buy a food scale, have a couple of sets of measuring cups/spoons on hand. You will not regret it.