Hi There! New Here!

Options
Well.. technically I'm not new but I joined awhile back and never really looked around. I have decided I HAVE to change my life if I want to be happy with myself again. Me being overweight has not only changed me physically, emotionally but it's changed my personality. I HATE who I have become. I am not who I used to be, I'm not ME! I'm ready to get back to being myself again.

My story:

My parents split when I was 9 years old. I think that has a major fact in my insecurities, and I grew up living in different places, one year with my grandmother, one (or four!) with my best friend, one year with my dad and only a couple with my mom. It was hard and I spent most of my life living with my best friend. She was a little over weight all of her life, and I actually was skinny for my height but being around her and her family (who was also overweight a bit) and hearing them talk bad about themselves and watching them go on diets made me feel like I too was overweight. So I would diet to... I never lost weight (probably because I didn't have fat to lose!) and when I moved to my moms house my freshman year I was away from the diet talk. I didn't even think about it, I wanted to live like a normal teenager and eat what I wanted to eat when I wanted to eat it and I started gaining weight (it didn't help that my mom and step-grandmother are AMAZING cooks!). I just couldn't keep myself from eating, it was freeing not having to worry about what my family thought about what I was eating. 5lbs turned into about 60 in less than 3 years. It was pretty bad. I didn't realize how overweight I really was until I moved back to live with my dad and I guess I just got a good look in the mirror and was horrified! I looked horrible! I started to lose weight and then met my now ex and got pregnant with my first daughter. Not knowing how eating would affect me weight wise while pregnant I ate whatever I wanted to. I couldn't diet so it was like whatever I wanted (or craved) went into my mouth! I ended up gaining about 65lbs! I only lost about 25 of it during labor and afterwords. Then I tried to lose weight but it just didn't seem to happen. A couple years later I found myself pregnant for a second time. Not even 3 months into my pregnancy I kicked my ex to the curb and decided to be a single mom. I was fine with that and this time with pregnancy I watched what I ate and only gained 25lbs! I have lost all of that weight now and I am about 20lbs lighter than I was after I had my first daughter. I'm pretty proud of that however I still have so much to lose to be happy.

I didn't mean for this to be long. I think I just needed to get that out there! I haven't really talked about my weight with many people.. it's embarrassing. I really hope I can accomplish my goals this time around. I'm so sick of this!

If you read all of that... your awesome! LOL

BTW: My name is Denise!

Replies

• cchelll
    cchelll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. There are so many people here who have similar stories and we ALL are embarrassed by our weight. The thing is we are here to make a difference and to do it together. Say with the site. Check in often and you will be supported by people you don't know but care about your success more than people you do. So I say welcome to your new family and we are all in this together.:flowerforyou:
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!!!
    No need to apologize for the prologue, writing things out can be very therapeutic. The community here is so supportive, my wife and I are going through our own weight loss battles. Keep recording even if it is a bad day, every little bit helps you to take the next step to making changes. What your starting out to accomplish is much like planting a tree, it does not happen over night, it does not happen in a few days, but over weeks changes are made, new habits are formed, outlooks are improved and understanding is granted.
    Welcome let my wife and I know if we can help!!! (she is sunfreeflower)
  • Bosslady11611362
    Options
    Denise, you're awesome! :smile:
    Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Add me on as a friend for daily support! Good Luck - you can do it!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Do you know how it is when you have seen a good movie and you are afraid to tell people about it because you don't want to get their expectations up and their being disapointed? I love Seattle where I live and envy people who just moved here and are just discovering all it has to offer. That is how I feel towards any one new to MFP. I knew I was committed to change things but I feel like that is all I have had to have. MFP has been just what I needed. I hope it is for you too. People here are so great. If you have a question or need help they respond. If you need friends and support it is here. I feel I can be open here and deal with what I need to so do not apologize for telling your story. I admire that. Welcome and hope all goes well.
  • cdane
    Options
    WELCOME , IM NEW BEEN ON HERE FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS NOW ... I JOINED A GYM ABOUT A MONTH AGO... IT REALLY HAS HELPED HAVING THIS MFP TO HELP WITH ME KEEPING UP WITH HOW MUCH I EAT !! I AM 57 YRS OLD I HAD GASTRAL BYPASS ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO .. I WEIGHED 346LBS , I LOST DOWN TO 137LBS, AFTER 5 OR 6 YRS I STARTED GAINING UNTIL I GOT UP TO 192LBS, SO THATS WHY I HAD TO START EXCERZING AND STARTED MFP!!! I BEEN THUR ALOT OF WHAT YOU ARE FEELING , BUT I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT , WE ALL CAN !!! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU !!!
  • munkynbooboosmom
    Options
    WOW! What a nice warm welcome! Thank you all so much. I already feel better about joining. Or should I say rejoining. :) It's nice to know there are others out there with my story. I definitely felt alone in all of this, it's nice to know i'm not!

Again, thank you all so much!
  • Mommymaddie
    Options
    Yay! I am so happy to be your weight-loss buddy :) If we can stay motivated, we can do this! <3
  • munkynbooboosmom
    Options
    Yes we can! I am so glad you decided to do this again. I needed this little push! I'm glad you were the person to do it! :)
  • Mommymaddie
    Options
    Yes, well, it is either do it or buy $100's worth of new clothing! So I chose to fit into the new clothes I just bought a couple of months ago! :)
  • MystcDrmr
    MystcDrmr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    welocme its a long hard road well is with me anyways but with hard work and disicpiline we can all do it anytime you need to talk just messge me im here daily lol doing my food list n exercise gl on your journey ..ev1 is friendly here .. i love it here take care .. and i loved your story i never put my whole story up as i try to forget about it but its always in abck of mind somewhere ... catch ya soon ..delores
  • KimikoAnne
    Options
    Welcome back! We all have novel length stories about our weight struggles I'm sure :) haha. I know I could write you a book. I loved reading it, no reason to feel bad! Everyone here is really supportive. We can relate. I wish you the best with your goal! I'm here for you if you need any support.